Davis, All-Pro LB ranked as #5 NFL Linebacker by Poll (1 Viewer)

ktmoze

VIP Subscribing Member
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Sounds about right for him. He should be top 5 without a doubt. I knew he was a decent signing since we were hurting at the LB position with all the busts in the draft, but I didnโ€™t see him being this freaking good. I love beast LBs so having so many busts really soured me on the position, so Iโ€™ve been thrilled with the play of this guy. I love me some DeMario Davis.

Sounds about right for him. He should be top 5 without a doubt. I knew he was a decent signing since we were hurting at the LB position with all the busts in the draft, but I didnโ€™t see him being this freaking good. I love beast LBs so having so many busts really soured me on the position, so Iโ€™ve been thrilled with the play of this guy. I love me some DeMario Davis.

I feel you. We've dealt with so much heartache and pain at LBer over the years. There was no reason to think that Davis would be anything other than an average to below average player. There was certainly no reason to think that we were signing our first 1st Team All Pro since 1993!

Consider this, the Saints had at least one Pro Bowl LBer on the roster every year from 1983 to 1993. From '94 to present the Saints have only had three Pro Bowl LBs:

Mark Fields - '00
Keith Mitchell - '00
Jonathan Vilma - '09, '10

Obviously Davis should've been named to the Pro Bowl but he was snubbed.

I feel you. We've dealt with so much heartache and pain at LBer over the years. There was no reason to think that Davis would be anything other than an average to below average player. There was certainly no reason to think that we were signing our first 1st Team All Pro since 1993!

Consider this, the Saints had at least one Pro Bowl LBer on the roster every year from 1983 to 1993. From '94 to present the Saints have only had three Pro Bowl LBs:

Mark Fields - '00
Keith Mitchell - '00
Jonathan Vilma - '09, '10

Obviously Davis should've been named to the Pro Bowl but he was snubbed.

Dome Patrol in the 90s
Fields/Mitchell in 2000
Vilma in 2010
Demario Davis in 2020

So...we may get another good LB in 2030? :munch:

I don't worry too much over where a player is ranked on a top 5 or top 10 of anything. Saying a player is the "best" is subjective and even if there was a way to quantify it, it would still be subject to change year to year, or even week to week. Simply being considered one of the top 5 or top 10 best is close enough for me. It means a player is in that class, and we have a lot of those on our current roster. An absolute wealth of talent.

I don't worry too much over where a player is ranked on a top 5 or top 10 of anything. Saying a player is the "best" is subjective and even if there was a way to quantify it, it would still be subject to change year to year, or even week to week. Simply being considered one of the top 5 or top 10 best is close enough for me. It means a player is in that class, and we have a lot of those on our current roster. An absolute wealth of talent.

I totally agree. Once you reach the top 5 of most positions it becomes very subjective as to who is best. To me Michael Thomas is the best WR in the league for our offense. Some might prefer the WRs who excel in the deep passing game but for what SP does I wouldn't trade MT for any WR in the league.

Same thing with Davis. Some are better in coverage. Some are better blitzers. Some are better in the run game. But I'll take my guy. Davis being named 1st Team All Pro tells me all I need to know. He is an elite LBer, a great leader, and hopefully he still has a few prime years left.

Dome Patrol in the 90s
Fields/Mitchell in 2000
Vilma in 2010
Demario Davis in 2020

So...we may get another good LB in 2030? :munch:

Lol yeah it looks that way. It's like the NFL gods said, "Wouldn't it be funny to give this team some truly great LBs but have them all play at the same time?!" This was an unreal run of LBer play. These are the Pro Bowl LBs for '83 to '93:

'83, '84, '85, '86 - Jackson
'87 - Mills
'88 - Mills
'89 - Swilling, Johnson
'90 - Swilling, Johnson
'91 - Mills, Swilling, Johnson
'92 - Jackson, Mills, Swilling, Johnson
'93 - Jackson, Turnbull

So that's 5 straight seasons of having at least 2 Pro Bowl LBs playing together.

Looking at Jackson's numbers it makes one wonder why it took so long for him to reach the HoF. He was a force for 15 years in the league. 15 years man. And we're not talking about a guy hanging on too long and gimping around out there. This friggin guy recorded his highest sack total (13.5) at 34 years old! He was 37 years old his last year in the NFL playing for the 49ers back in '94. Dude led the team with 9.5 sacks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom