Day Z (1 Viewer)

Yeti

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Anybody get this pile of crap to work? Paid $30 for Arma II and its extension to play the game. Had problems installing the freaking Arma game now when I finally got that fixed Day Z will not join any server no matter what I do.

I'm hella ******...

I haven't played in a couple weeks but it was working. Have you tried updating to beta? There are some youtube vids to show you how.

It isn't even out for Mac ... of course, they don't make "powerful" enough computers to run it, right?

Ever get it to run?

I got Arma 2: Combined Operations for DayZ, it really enjoyed it for awhile. I found the realism servers to be more enjoyable.

If you are just starting out with Arma 2, the first thing you need to get is the Six Updater application, it's pretty much a must have for me. It allows you to create presets for specific servers or situations and will automatically download the requires mods.

SIX Updater

A newb like myself would have been mostly lost without it.

I play mostly on the 15th MEU Realism servers which requires ACE/ACRE mods.

Haha almost a year later and I just came back to it and finally got it working. Loaded it up and got killed by zombies in 30 seconds. :)

Gonna have to do the Arma bootcamps to figure out the controls. Will be playing tomorrow. Anybody else playing?

Not upgrading to the PS4 and Xbox One. PC gaming only for me.

Hmm well I guess nobody likes Day Z at all. A pity...

I'd love to play it. But Apple hates gamers, evidently. :aargh:

Perhaps I should sit out the next-gen console war and just go PC. Too bad I have no idea what I'd need to assemble a good rig.

i played it with guildmates for a little while. it was too crowded with hackers, so they are waiting for the standalone game to come out. hopefully its harder to cheat

I'd love to play it. But Apple hates gamers, evidently. :aargh:

Perhaps I should sit out the next-gen console war and just go PC. Too bad I have no idea what I'd need to assemble a good rig.

Newegg has excellent tutorials for building a rig.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lPIXAtNGGCw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Case, power supply, motherboard, CPU, RAM, video card, and storage are the essential ones. Then you can decide what else to add, i.e. optical drives, wi-fi adapter, peripherals, etc. It requires a lot of researching into what parts you want and deciding which way to go on some things, like AMD vs. Intel or how expensive/powerful you want it. I finally ventured into PC gaming and I found building a rig to be very entertaining, though it could get a bit tiresome. The parts selection takes about 100x longer than actual building.

From long experience, dollar for dollar, don't bother with AMD. I've gotten more pop from switching from AMD to Intel than I did from craptastic video card to $500 card. Other choices there's room for debate, but AMD and gaming is a false economy if you actually try both I have no idea why, but you get much more bang for the buck even though the Intel seems more expensive out the gate.

From long experience, dollar for dollar, don't bother with AMD. I've gotten more pop from switching from AMD to Intel than I did from craptastic video card to $500 card. Other choices there's room for debate, but AMD and gaming is a false economy if you actually try both I have no idea why, but you get much more bang for the buck even though the Intel seems more expensive out the gate.

I just went from a Phenom II 3.2 GHz and Biostar MB to an i5 3470 3.2 GHz with a Z75 chipset mobo and the difference is amazing. Same HD 7850 2GB for both, but significantly higher framerate and an overall better smoothness from the Intel setup. And the price was not bad. Somewhere around $300 for the processor and mobo at Newegg.

I've been an AMD fanboy ever since the old K-6 processor days, but I am now strictly Intel. :9:

Here's my current setup:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115234

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157304

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102999

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235037

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

I'm using an Acer 21.5" lcd for my display @1920X1080. My PSU is a Rocketfish 700w that I've had for 5 years. Crappy Best Buy off brand I bought to try and resuscitate a dying system that has turned out to be a solid PSU that delivers rock solid power. Weird.

Yeah I ended up going AMD and no complaints so far. Been able to run everything I've played at ultra settings: Crysis, Skyrim modded to hell, Arma 2, AC3. The only thing I haven't liked is that some mods, particularly Heaven on Earth for NBA2K, require Intel for SweetFX.

Blodaksen, have you found the 1080p monitor to be worthwhile? I got a 1050 for only $50 from my friend and that's saving maybe like $100 but I've been wondering how much better having a 1080 monitor would be.

I just went from a Phenom II 3.2 GHz and Biostar MB to an i5 3470 3.2 GHz with a Z75 chipset mobo and the difference is amazing. Same HD 7850 2GB for both, but significantly higher framerate and an overall better smoothness from the Intel setup. And the price was not bad. Somewhere around $300 for the processor and mobo at Newegg.

Similar experience. I ran two different AMDs before my last upgrade and have been through 3 GPUs. First was one of the 6 core Phenoms (I think it was 3.4GHz Thuban) with an nVidia 480. Moving to a Deneb Black, can't remember the stock, but OC'd to 4.2 paired with a factory OC'd Radeon 6970 added only about 20-30% in frame rate and "felt" significant but not overwhelming. All told that was about a $500ish change. Kept the 6970 and moved to an Ivy Bridge board and basically everything went pegged at vSync at 60fps (even Skyrim with an ENB, though it would dip at the top of Whiterun or doing crazy stuff in the snow 95% of the time it was pegged), and it felt amazingly better. That was about a $400 upgrade IIRC. Replaced the Radeon with a $500 OC'd GTX680, and now the only time I can slow it down is when I'm recording. Even then it's mostly near vSync, though it definitely will have hiccups (I think mostly from SSD lag instead of CPU or GPU with that).

I'm 99.999% certain that had I skipped buying the 6970 altogether and just gone with Intel I'd have seen over twice as much boost in FPS and feel. It's a shame, because I'm a value guy and was a wannabe AMD fanboi. The thing is, you almost never hear even "Yeah, switched to AMD and it's almost the same", but you'll get lots of stories like ours when people try for themselves. AMD may seem to have the same stats, but as the proof of the pudding is in the eating, the proof of the rig is in the playing. On my next upgrade even if I saw MB/CPU on AMD with similar stats was $89 and it was $489 to go Intel I wouldn't hesitate for a second. AMD isn't terrible, but the ceiling on AMD + expensive GPU is much much lower than Intel + cheap GPU.

BTW, for whatever reason, OC'd the quad did much better than the 6, which is why I went with the i5 on Intel instead of the i7.

Oh, and for video rendering which uses the nVidia assist it usually renders a little faster than real time at 1080p and 29.whatever fps (like 38 minutes for a 42 minute capture, while browsing web and lightly using the box).

Isn't the paid alpha version coming out in June?

Yeah I ended up going AMD and no complaints so far. Been able to run everything I've played at ultra settings: Crysis, Skyrim modded to hell, Arma 2, AC3. The only thing I haven't liked is that some mods, particularly Heaven on Earth for NBA2K, require Intel for SweetFX.

Blodaksen, have you found the 1080p monitor to be worthwhile? I got a 1050 for only $50 from my friend and that's saving maybe like $100 but I've been wondering how much better having a 1080 monitor would be.

Mine's an ACER A221HQV. I bought 2 of them last year at Best Buy for $99 a piece. They get the job done. The only thing I would fork over cash for right now would be a slick IPS panel in the 25-27" range.

Similar experience. I ran two different AMDs before my last upgrade and have been through 3 GPUs. First was one of the 6 core Phenoms (I think it was 3.4GHz Thuban) with an nVidia 480. Moving to a Deneb Black, can't remember the stock, but OC'd to 4.2 paired with a factory OC'd Radeon 6970 added only about 20-30% in frame rate and "felt" significant but not overwhelming. All told that was about a $500ish change. Kept the 6970 and moved to an Ivy Bridge board and basically everything went pegged at vSync at 60fps (even Skyrim with an ENB, though it would dip at the top of Whiterun or doing crazy stuff in the snow 95% of the time it was pegged), and it felt amazingly better. That was about a $400 upgrade IIRC. Replaced the Radeon with a $500 OC'd GTX680, and now the only time I can slow it down is when I'm recording. Even then it's mostly near vSync, though it definitely will have hiccups (I think mostly from SSD lag instead of CPU or GPU with that).

I'm 99.999% certain that had I skipped buying the 6970 altogether and just gone with Intel I'd have seen over twice as much boost in FPS and feel. It's a shame, because I'm a value guy and was a wannabe AMD fanboi. The thing is, you almost never hear even "Yeah, switched to AMD and it's almost the same", but you'll get lots of stories like ours when people try for themselves. AMD may seem to have the same stats, but as the proof of the pudding is in the eating, the proof of the rig is in the playing. On my next upgrade even if I saw MB/CPU on AMD with similar stats was $89 and it was $489 to go Intel I wouldn't hesitate for a second. AMD isn't terrible, but the ceiling on AMD + expensive GPU is much much lower than Intel + cheap GPU.

BTW, for whatever reason, OC'd the quad did much better than the 6, which is why I went with the i5 on Intel instead of the i7.

Oh, and for video rendering which uses the nVidia assist it usually renders a little faster than real time at 1080p and 29.whatever fps (like 38 minutes for a 42 minute capture, while browsing web and lightly using the box).

One of the best chips I owned was an old Barton class Athlon chip. That thing overclocked like a beast. But it ran hot enough to heat my living room in Winter. It eventually died a very gruesome death. But while I had it running it smoked anything made by Intel. I had 1 GB of 333 memory and a Geforce 4 4600ti AGP card. And was running Diablo 2 LOD maxed and simply in awe at the horsepower. LOL.

An interesting tidbit I recently learned is that certain boards, (ahem, like the one I own) can unlock non-k Intel chips. So, should I ever feel the need to tweak the performance of the 3470 I own, I can. However, I really don't feel the need. This thing still has plenty of headroom at stock settings.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom