DayQuil (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Quick question.

I know that NyQuil has somethng in it to help you sleep.

Does DayQuil just lack that ingredient or does it have something in it that keeps you up and alert?

My real question - If i take DayQuil at night will I be able to get to sleep?

Thanks

most likely it has something that will keep you awake and is missing the ingredient to make you fall asleep. Check Webmd and type in Dayquil.

i've never had a prob with it, but i can drink 52 oz mtn dew and go right to sleep.

lol I just bought some Dayquil today for the first time in years. I'm too lazy (and feeling too crappy) to look at the box, but my understanding is that there are ingredients in DQ that will keep you awake, maybe some type of ephedra-like stuff (which is why I bought it, so I can work the rest of the week). I wouldn't take it if you're trying to get some sleep; I know Nyquil has 10% alcohol to help you sleep, and none of the stuff that keeps you awake.

it doesnt have anything to keep you up, its just non-drowsy

Active Ingredients (in each 15 ml tablespoon) (Purpose)
Acetaminophen 325 mg (Pain reliever/fever reducer)
Dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg (Cough suppressant)
Phenylephrine HCl 5 mg (Nasal decongestant)

I asked my pharmacist what the difference is
He said:
Dayquil tastes better on waffles
Nyquil tastes better over ice cream

Dayquil: Active Ingredients (in each 15 ml tablespoon) (Purpose)
Acetaminophen 325 mg (Pain reliever/fever reducer)
Dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg (Cough suppressant)
Phenylephrine HCl 5 mg (Nasal decongestant

NyQuil: Active Ingredients (in each 15 ml tablespoon) (Purpose)
Acetaminophen 500 mg (Pain reliever/fever reducer)
Dextromethorphan HBr 15 mg (Cough suppressant)
Doxylamine succinate 6.25 mg (Antihistamine)

Inactive Ingredients
Original: alcohol, citric acid, D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Green No. 3, FD&C Yellow No. 6, flavor, high fructose corn syrup, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium citrate
Cherry: alcohol, citric acid, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Red No. 40, flavor, high fructose corn syrup, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium citrate

NyQuil(the cold and flu one above) has 500mg Acetaminophen(active ingredient of Tyelnol), an antihistamine, and the alcohol (under inactive ingredient) which will enhance drowsiness.

The DayQuil has a small amount of Acetaminophen(325mg). It also has a decongestant in it that makes "some" people hyper as it will increase heart rate in some and that is why people with high blood pressure or heart problems are discouraged from taking it unless with a Physician's approval.

O.P. : To answer your question Dayquil lacks the sleep(ier) ingredients being the antihistamine, higher dosage of Tylenol and a little alcohol.

Unless you are sensitive to the decongestant, you should not have trouble sleeping after taking Dayquil.

Last edited:
slept just fine. still feeling under the weather though

They both also have a ton of sugar in them and I don't think either are generally regarded as great medicines...

They both also have a ton of sugar in them and I don't think either are generally regarded as great medicines...

This can't be true. When I was a kid we always got nyquil when we were sick. Who would know better "Doctors" or my dear sweet old mom?

Walmart's Equate brand of that stuff tastes like you're downing a bottle of Vicks Vaporub.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom