DC/Arrowverse upcoming shows (1 Viewer)

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Say what you will about the decline in quality of the shows, but, at one time, they had a pretty nicely done, live action, interconnected DC Universe that all sprung from a show about Green Arrow. And, that's kinda cool.

What's interesting about that to me is that the DC TV shows make it clear that you can make stories about fringe DC characters and still get ratings/have people watch it. Which is part of why it makes no sense that they wouldn't have done the ground work of individual movies about fringe characters in order to properly establish the DC cinematic universe. I mean, all of these shows started out good, they just don't have the writing or production values that minor character would get in movies.

OP

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What's interesting about that to me is that the DC TV shows make it clear that you can make stories about fringe DC characters and still get ratings/have people watch it. Which is part of why it makes no sense that they wouldn't have done the ground work of individual movies about fringe characters in order to properly establish the DC cinematic universe. I mean, all of these shows started out good, they just don't have the writing or production values that minor character would get in movies.

Yeah, Marvel turned some fairly obscure or minor characters into blockbuster movies, and their series are just as good now. It proves that good writing of a an epic broader arc and theme is not only possible, but very enjoyable for audiences. I've always thought they've struck a good balance between storytelling and action. And the movies/series give a good feel for the relationship between ordinary people and superpowered beings. DC has done some of that, but their universe isn't nearly as cohesive or well told, even with their leading, better known characters. DC could be so much more.

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I still say that the Flash doesn't have enough Flash in it. And at this point, any time that Iris starts one of her speeches, I just zone out.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
So I just watched the latest Black Lightning. Seems like we just got our pitch for the upcoming Painkiller spin-off.

It looks interesting to say the least.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
Anyone caught up on LoT yet? Not sure I'm crazy about the whole aliens thing.

nolaspe

nolaspe
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gary makes total sense now... I can kinda see why Dominic Purcell may have been peeved, he was all but invisible the past episode...

Last edited:

Sun Wukong

Kicker's, Inc. Superfan
Reaction score
In TV writing there's this concept called "idiot ball" where writers knowingly have an otherwise competent or rational character act in a sometimes stupid or foolish way in order to move the plot forward. So a writer's room may be like "Who carries the idiot ball this week" meaning which character will do something dumb or foolish to move the plot forward. It's lazy and not great but it's not an uncommon tool in the TV writer toolbox.

Except at the CW DC shows, where it is the only tool in the tool box and everyone is carrying the idiot ball at all times every episode.

Loco Hornet Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
In TV writing there's this concept called "idiot ball" where writers knowingly have an otherwise competent or rational character act in a sometimes stupid or foolish way in order to move the plot forward. So a writer's room may be like "Who carries the idiot ball this week" meaning which character will do something dumb or foolish to move the plot forward. It's lazy and not great but it's not an uncommon tool in the TV writer toolbox.

Except at the CW DC shows, where it is the only tool in the tool box and everyone is carrying the idiot ball at all times every episode.
For. Real.

OP

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The fact that I'm 3-4 episodes behind on all of the DC shows and haven't even started LOT says it all for me. Watching is almost a chore now. I might catch up a bit after my Marvel marathon is done. We'll see.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The fact that I'm 3-4 episodes behind on all of the DC shows and haven't even started LOT says it all for me. Watching is almost a chore now. I might catch up a bit after my Marvel marathon is done. We'll see.

I tried all of the DC shows and none of them are great outside of maybe the first two season of Arrow, but I think LOT may be the best of all of them since it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread