DC/Arrowverse upcoming shows (2 Viewers)

In TV writing there's this concept called "idiot ball" where writers knowingly have an otherwise competent or rational character act in a sometimes stupid or foolish way in order to move the plot forward. So a writer's room may be like "Who carries the idiot ball this week" meaning which character will do something dumb or foolish to move the plot forward. It's lazy and not great but it's not an uncommon tool in the TV writer toolbox.

Except at the CW DC shows, where it is the only tool in the tool box and everyone is carrying the idiot ball at all times every episode.
For. Real.

The fact that I'm 3-4 episodes behind on all of the DC shows and haven't even started LOT says it all for me. Watching is almost a chore now. I might catch up a bit after my Marvel marathon is done. We'll see.

The fact that I'm 3-4 episodes behind on all of the DC shows and haven't even started LOT says it all for me. Watching is almost a chore now. I might catch up a bit after my Marvel marathon is done. We'll see.

I tried all of the DC shows and none of them are great outside of maybe the first two season of Arrow, but I think LOT may be the best of all of them since it doesn't take itself too seriously.

I tried all of the DC shows and none of them are great outside of maybe the first two season of Arrow, but I think LOT may be the best of all of them since it doesn't take itself too seriously.
Yeah, LOT has been the best of the bunch outside of the early seasons of Arrow. I liked early Flash as well. The rest has been average at best to downright annoying. They feel like they're written by inexperienced writers and for teen audiences, except teens should deserve and expect better. None of my 4 teens have watched any of them. They like Marvel, but have zero interest in DC.

I've long been a fan of DC and used to read the comics when I was younger. I just think the shows haven't been doing the franchise justice at least since the first crossover show. I think another studio would be better off making them. CW isn't the right home for DC, imo.

So I only saw the first couple of Batwoman episodes, but I just read an article detailing how the season 2 storyline has worked around Kate Kane no longer being played by Ruby Rose.

Yeesh. It sounds absolutely horrible. Like, hilariously bad, overdramatic, and overcomplicated.

So I only saw the first couple of Batwoman episodes, but I just read an article detailing how the season 2 storyline has worked around Kate Kane no longer being played by Ruby Rose.

Yeesh. It sounds absolutely horrible. Like, hilariously bad, overdramatic, and overcomplicated.
It's been awful. Kate is dead, no she isn't, but she is...isn’t...is too...who even cares anymore.

It's been awful. Kate is dead, no she isn't, but she is...isn’t...is too...who even cares anymore.
They could have killed her off, wrote her off as passing the torch and going to search for Bruce, or just recast her (which it sounds like they kind of have anyway, just in a REALLY convoluted way). All of these misdirects and narrative hoops were so unnecessary.

If they wanted to keep Kate Kane on the show, just recast her. It might take some getting used to in the (very) short-term, but viewers were aware that Ruby Rose left the show. They would have understood.

Heck, Marvel has recast TWO freaking Avengers!

They could have killed her off, wrote her off as passing the torch and going to search for Bruce, or just recast her (which it sounds like they kind of have anyway, just in a REALLY convoluted way). All of these misdirects and narrative hoops were so unnecessary.

If they wanted to keep Kate Kane on the show, just recast her. It might take some getting used to in the (very) short-term, but viewers were aware that Ruby Rose left the show. They would have understood.

Heck, Marvel has recast TWO freaking Avengers!

Yeah, CW continues to turn what would be pretty huge series into trash. LOT is the closest thing to a successful long term series, and even that is coming apart a bit now. It's not really a casting issue. It's terrible writing and unimaginative story telling. CW is playing tiddlywinks with an iconic franchise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom