DC comics possibly done for good...sad (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Join us here. We would love to have more people. :)

What bonnjer said. And the last person anyone should be listening to is Ethan Van Sciver.

Used to be die hard comic book collector. Several things contributed to me pretty much quitting. First, I lost my entire collection to Katrina--lots of key issues that I will never be able to replace--complete run of Amazing Spider-Man from 200 till August 2005, Uncanny X-Men 150 till August 2005, Marvel Star Wars, etc--most of those I bought on the newstand/comic store. The other factors were price and editorial directions. The cost of $3.99 for today's books is way too much for me. $2.99 was pretty much the cap for me. I tried to start collecting up again after Katrina and several other times since but the cost of $3.99 for a single issue was just too much. Regarding the editorial directions/stories? Didn't like it. The continued focus on events and ridiculous amounts of tie in mini series just added to the cost. There have been events in comics going back to the original Secret Wars for Marvel and Crisis on Infinite Earths for DC. I understand that, but tie ins used to be issues of the regular series of the character involved. Now it's another 2 or 3 or 4 issue mini series tie in. Another cash grab. The constant relaunches also have turned me off. It used to be a #1 was a big deal. Now there's a new #1 every year it seems. I remember when the special issues used to be issues 50, 100, 150, 200, etc. Now series hardly reach 25 before they are relaunched. When I started collecting, books I collected were in the 100s. I didn't let that scare me off. I remember bugging my parents to take me out to BSI Comics on West Esplanade to get try to find some back issues. It was all part of the fun. Guess I'm old guy yelling at cloud now.

I know this was about DC possibly closing(don't believe that) but the comic industry as a whole is in a slump and I hate to see it go.

Used to be die hard comic book collector. Several things contributed to me pretty much quitting. First, I lost my entire collection to Katrina--lots of key issues that I will never be able to replace--complete run of Amazing Spider-Man from 200 till August 2005, Uncanny X-Men 150 till August 2005, Marvel Star Wars, etc--most of those I bought on the newstand/comic store. The other factors were price and editorial directions. The cost of $3.99 for today's books is way too much for me. $2.99 was pretty much the cap for me. I tried to start collecting up again after Katrina and several other times since but the cost of $3.99 for a single issue was just too much. Regarding the editorial directions/stories? Didn't like it. The continued focus on events and ridiculous amounts of tie in mini series just added to the cost. There have been events in comics going back to the original Secret Wars for Marvel and Crisis on Infinite Earths for DC. I understand that, but tie ins used to be issues of the regular series of the character involved. Now it's another 2 or 3 or 4 issue mini series tie in. Another cash grab. The constant relaunches also have turned me off. It used to be a #1 was a big deal. Now there's a new #1 every year it seems. I remember when the special issues used to be issues 50, 100, 150, 200, etc. Now series hardly reach 25 before they are relaunched. When I started collecting, books I collected were in the 100s. I didn't let that scare me off. I remember bugging my parents to take me out to BSI Comics on West Esplanade to get try to find some back issues. It was all part of the fun. Guess I'm old guy yelling at cloud now.

I know this was about DC possibly closing(don't believe that) but the comic industry as a whole is in a slump and I hate to see it go.
Great post. Come discuss it with us here:

$8 an issue. that's an industry killer right there.

I collected from 1985 until 2000. When comics hit $3 an issue i stopped, to expensive. And truth is nothing have seen since the 2000 was worth buying either story wise or art. The comic industry has been dead for 15 years IMO, might as well put it out of its misery.

I stopped buying individual issues and started just buying the trade paperbacks about a decade ago. Much easier.
Not to go off topic, I think this may be a shift to focusing their properties into TV shows. I know they’ve always been Batman tv shows, but nothing has really hit since Batman: The Animated Series.
After seeing the success with the Harley Quinn show, I can se them doing the same for Batman and Superman.

Forgot to add to my earlier post. I have bought Marvel Unlimited so I have been enjoying rereading the classics as well as sort of keeping up with current Marvel events, even if it‘s on a 6 month delay.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom