DC kills Batgirl movie (1 Viewer)

The number of blockbuster movies produced in the last 5 years with a budget similar to DC, Marvel and Disney. They aren't even being given a chance. One of them is the top grossing movie in theaters in history.

I do agree that movies with high production value are essential for theater success for pretty obvious reasons and there are a ton of choices for the non-action genres. I guess I just miss a good action movie without a main character that can shoot lasers from his eyes.

Going to the movies has simply become something adults only do to take their kids to see a Disney or DC comic movie. It's lost all other appeal but it can be argued that the movie industry helped push it in that direction.
what about John Wick movies? I love these and always see them in the theater.

Matrix, Lord of the Rings series, Mission Impossible, Star Trek series, etc...there are more than a few options besides DC/Marvel.

There's a ton of content out there that isn't Marvel / DC type films. Just this year we've had Top Gun, Prey (theater and Hulu release), Everything Everywhere All at Once, Bullet Train, The Northman, Uncharted, and The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent. That's just off the top of my head.

Some of those had big budgets, but none of them are superhero films. If you go to streaming, where most 10 - 20 million films end up, there's a ton more.

We are in a bit of a golden age of content. There's so much out there from TV, to streaming original movies, to unique theater releases, to yes big budget superhero films, I just don't understand how someone can feel they aren't being entertained.

There's a ton of content out there that isn't Marvel / DC type films. Just this year we've had Top Gun, Prey (theater and Hulu release), Everything Everywhere All at Once, Bullet Train, The Northman, Uncharted, and The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent. That's just off the top of my head.

Some of those had big budgets, but none of them are superhero films. If you go to streaming, where most 10 - 20 million films end up, there's a ton more.

We are in a bit of a golden age of content. There's so much out there from TV, to streaming original movies, to unique theater releases, to yes big budget superhero films, I just don't understand how someone can feel they aren't being entertained.

I sheet on comic movies because I'm mad at them.

I like a good superhero movie every once in a while but

1940-2000 there were a total of 42 Marvel and DC films.

2000-2010 there were a total of 60 Marvel and DC films.

2010 to present there have been a total of 174 Marvel and DC films. It's to the point now the only two types of movies to choose from are Disney, Marvel and DC films. Now it is just like pop music, they all look and sound alike following the same script and we are watching the same crap over and over again. I often wonder how many amazing movies were not made the last 20 years because they did not involve a superhero and the special recipe to make money.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

I'm being entertained, just not in theatres.

What is being missed are the movies like Top Gun 2. CGI has come so far it's absolutely unbelievable but Top Gun 2 shows that cinematography has made an equally massive leap in that same span and the gap between the two is still massive. The problem, getting that level of cinematography takes a lot of money and that money is being spent on CGI and superhero films. Even though we got it in Top Gun, we only got that level of action packed cinematography in a sequel and it's really sad.

Again, the other options are Disney movies that are designed to be just appealing enough to make adults be willing to sit through it with their kids.

I will say the Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was pretty damn good because there was actually some creativity to it. I haven't seen Bullet Train yet so can't judge on that one.

Last edited:

What is being missed are the movies like Top Gun 2. CGI has come so far it's absolutely unbelievable but Top Gun 2 shows that cinematography has made an equally massive leap in that same span and the gap between the two is still massive. The problem, getting that level of cinematography takes a lot of money and that money is being spent on CGI and superhero films. Even though we got it in Top Gun, we only got that level of action packed cinematography in a sequel and it's really sad.
Sure, but at some point the studios need to take risks and make the necessary investments to put out those type of movies. They already have to some degree, but they probably could do more. It's not like people have quit going to movies. Top Gun 2 is proof that people are willing to go to the theaters in droves. But a lot of people are still staying home too, so they have to adjust their business model with that in mind.

I think the post-Covid transition is a significant one and studios are doing things to adjust imo. We'll see what that looks like in the next 6-12 months.

I sheet on comic movies because I'm mad at them.

I like a good superhero movie every once in a while but

1940-2000 there were a total of 42 Marvel and DC films.

2000-2010 there were a total of 60 Marvel and DC films.

2010 to present there have been a total of 174 Marvel and DC films. It's to the point now the only two types of movies to choose from are Disney, Marvel and DC films. Now it is just like pop music, they all look and sound alike following the same script and we are watching the same crap over and over again. I often wonder how many amazing movies were not made the last 20 years because they did not involve a superhero and the special recipe to make money.
174 films seems high.

I think Marvel has released ~ 30 films in that time frame (I know the # was 18 heading into Infinity War).

And I feel like DC has been fewer than that (or am I crazy?).

Even if we add things like Lego Batman and the Sony stuff (Venom, Morbius, etc., do we really get to 174 films?

174 films seems high.

I think Marvel has released ~ 30 films in that time frame (I know the # was 18 heading into Infinity War).

Even if we add things like Lego Batman and the Sony stuff (Venom, Morbius, etc., do we really get to 174 films?
Maybe if you count series or something. It does seem way high.

174 films seems high.

Given I did the math, there is a large margin for error but this is the list I used to come up with the numbers. Had covid not happened, that number would be even higher.

Given I did the math, there is a large margin for error but this is the list I used to come up with the numbers. Had covid not happened, that number would be even higher.
I'm a Mavel fan and slightly less enthusiastic DC fan. I haven't seen half the movies and shows on that list. Lego Marvel counts? LOL. More than a few obscure titles in there.

Again, the other options are Disney movies that are designed to be just appealing enough to make adults be willing to sit through it with their kids.

I will say the Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was pretty damn good because there was actually some creativity to it. I haven't seen Bullet Train yet so can't judge on that one.
That was a cool movie but Everything Everywhere All At Once was excellent. The Northman was crazy. There are good movies besides superhero ones, people just need to be willing to go see them.

I'm a Mavel fan and slightly less enthusiastic DC fan. I haven't seen half the movies and shows on that list. Lego Marvel counts? LOL. More than a few obscure titles in there.
We're obviously talking about movies that get released in theaters so that list doesn't count. The number of current Marvel and DC movies is under 50, closer to 40.

We're obviously talking about movies that get released in theaters so that list doesn't count. The number of current Marvel and DC movies is under 50, closer to 40.
Yeah, that's more in line with what I was thinking. What I'd like is a major Avengers type movie once a year and 2-3 movies a year dedicated to Avengers characters or threads that ties the MCU together. Everything else should be D+ or TV series.

Like, the Eternals really should have been in a series format where more time can be given to developing characters and themes that can pull some threads together for the overall larger picture in the MCU.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom