DC to NO + Beach (2 Viewers)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
ok, so my wife and kids will be in DC Baltimore area with family
they're flying up but driving a car back
i don't want her driving all that by herself even if they do frequent stops - so i'm trying to find a midwayish point to flyup and drive back with them
the catch is that it's looking like this could happen once i've started new student orientation, et al so my window is tight
the other catch is that she wants beach (i know those seem incompatible, but she's in a significant grieving process so i'm trying to accommodate as much as possible)

meeting in Raleigh and going to Wilmington is the best i've come up with
@superchuck500 or anyone else, is there a better itinerary?
better place than Willmington for a quick beach visit?

any help would be appreciated

I think if you wanted a beach visit that’s most convenient to your travel line, the Wilmington beaches might make the most sense. The beaches in Maryland (Ocean City, Rehoboth) aren’t really in your direction of travel. And the main outer banks NC are pretty far to the east of where you’ll be coming back. It can take a couple of hours to get from that part of NC back to I-95.

But the coastline cuts back in by Wilmington and there’s I-40 to take you directly to it from 95. There’s a few beaches in the Wilmington area that have good reputations. I have only been there for lunch passing through.

You also have Charleston area beaches like Folly Beach or Kiawah that aren’t terribly out of your way.

Or keep going down to Hilton Head or Amelia Island. But meeting there is harder for you, flying.

Last edited:
The beaches on the outer banks(hatteras area) take fireber to get to and they are rough beaches from a wave standpoint. The water is not very clear either

The beaches on the outer banks(hatteras area) take fireber to get to and they are rough beaches from a wave standpoint. The water is not very clear either
i wish my memory of that area was better - i went to grad school in Greensboro and spent most free time in the mountains
but 2 visits to the beach - but the images are those of a grad student on a break, so...

I think if you wanted a beach visit that’s most convenient to your travel line, the Wilmington beaches might make the most sense. The beaches in Maryland (Ocean City, Rehoboth) aren’t really in your direction of travel.

Or keep going down to Hilton Head or Amelia Island. But meeting there is harder for you, flying.
Shouldn't a guy who can spell Rehoboth correctly know that it's in Delaware, not Maryland? (I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. I know I'm awful)

I thought of Hilton Head, too, but wasn't sure of the logistics.

Whenever we did road trips to New Orleans from DC area, it was usually 95 to 85 to I-10. Took about 20 hours straight through with occassional stops. Sometimes we took the more scenic, slightly longer route of I-81 to 40 through Tennessee. Beaches are a detour any way you cut it. If you want roughly halfway than around Wilmington is the obvious choice. Possibly Myrtle. Depends on what you want in a "beach". Not really familiar with any of those beaches. They're all seem pretty pedestrian once you've been to Hawaii. I agree Outer Banks is much more of a detour and probably not worth it. Unless you really want big waves. Almost got sucked out to sea in a riptide when I was ~12 years old there.

ok, so my wife and kids will be in DC Baltimore area with family
they're flying up but driving a car back
I just did the reverse of this a few weeks ago. Flew to New Orleans and drove back here; however, I stopped for a few days to do some whitewater rafting on the Ocoee just outside of Chattanooga.

As DCSaints_Fan mentioned above, there are really two main routes to drive from MD/DC to get back to NOLA. It kind of depends on where she's starting in MD/DC as to the better way. If she's going to be along the I-95 corridor, then stick with the I-95/I-85 route, but DC traffic is a real birch (Baltimore traffic is no picnic either, but pales in comparison to the Capital Beltway). If she's closer to I-70, then it's much, much better to take I-70 west to Frederick and take the US 15/US 340 exit and follow that route through Harpers Ferry and Point of Rocks (she'll also pass an exit for Burkittsville, which is where Blair Witch was filmed), into West Virginia and then Virginia (all within a few minutes) to VA 7 and Winchester, VA where she can pick up I-81. This route totally bypasses all the Baltimore and DC traffic. I live north of I-70 so it's always better for me to take that route when heading south.

Let me know if there is anything I can help answer. Glad to help.

I just did the reverse of this a few weeks ago. Flew to New Orleans and drove back here; however, I stopped for a few days to do some whitewater rafting on the Ocoee just outside of Chattanooga.

As DCSaints_Fan mentioned above, there are really two main routes to drive from MD/DC to get back to NOLA. It kind of depends on where she's starting in MD/DC as to the better way. If she's going to be along the I-95 corridor, then stick with the I-95/I-85 route, but DC traffic is a real birch (Baltimore traffic is no picnic either, but pales in comparison to the Capital Beltway). If she's closer to I-70, then it's much, much better to take I-70 west to Frederick and take the US 15/US 340 exit and follow that route through Harpers Ferry and Point of Rocks (she'll also pass an exit for Burkittsville, which is where Blair Witch was filmed), into West Virginia and then Virginia (all within a few minutes) to VA 7 and Winchester, VA where she can pick up I-81. This route totally bypasses all the Baltimore and DC traffic. I live north of I-70 so it's always better for me to take that route when heading south.

Let me know if there is anything I can help answer. Glad to help.

I have a question - did you see the part where he said 'beach'?

I did indeed.

However, true to form of every other post around these here parts, no one said the replies have to stick to a script.

10-4, carry on.

And I agree, the mountains are a great summer trip - with how forking hot it is on the coast these days, the mountains get better and better. From Chattanooga to Asheville, or up into VA, there's a lot to do in the summer. And its 70s and 80s in the day, 50s and 60s at night. And beautiful.

You don't even have to do the main attractions, there's always some kind of waterfall hikes, water activities, vinyards and brew pubs, parks and farms, nearby.

10-4, carry on.

And I agree, the mountains are a great summer trip - with how forking hot it is on the coast these days, the mountains get better and better. From Chattanooga to Asheville, or up into VA, there's a lot to do in the summer. And its 70s and 80s in the day, 50s and 60s at night. And beautiful.

You don't even have to do the main attractions, there's always some kind of waterfall hikes, water activities, vinyards and brew pubs, parks and farms, nearby.
This was my suggestion
we even honeymooned in Townsend, tn ‘wouldn’t it be fun to see that again?’
nope, “beach”

and TBH beach/ocean really does refuel her (she grew up on the pacific), and with what’s she’s been through, if she wants beach, she gets beach

This was my suggestion
we even honeymooned in Townsend, tn ‘wouldn’t it be fun to see that again?’
nope, “beach”

and TBH beach/ocean really does refuel her (she grew up on the pacific), and with what’s she’s been through, if she wants beach, she gets beach
When she says beach does she mean literally sitting on the beach and the ocean and whatnot, or does it also mean off-beach activities like waterslides/mini-golf or whatever?

When she says beach does she mean literally sitting on the beach and the ocean and whatnot, or does it also mean off-beach activities like waterslides/mini-golf or whatever?
Sitting on a beach
like…sitting
occasionally getting ankles wet, sometimes knees
but she can do nothing on a beach like no one I’ve ever seen

Sitting on a beach
like…sitting
occasionally getting ankles wet, sometimes knees
but she can do nothing on a beach like no one I’ve ever seen

I like her, even though ive never met her…. Or you.

I’ll be honest, my first thought when i read your OP was ‘man, Guido’s wife sounds kinda high-maintenance’.. i felt a little bad for you, since i have LOTS of experience myself with that…. But i really get the concept of just sitting on the beach, chilling with your headphones on, or reading or whatever.. as long as i have a lot of sunscreen…. I dont like a lot of people around, or mini-golf, or all the distractions.. just white sand and turquoise water.. I’m not familiar with the ‘boredom’ thing some people talk about.. even when things were at the height of being locked down over the last 18 months, i rarely got bored.. even less so if on a beach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom