DC to NO + Beach (1 Viewer)

Change of plans
They had to push this back a week (and I’ll already be teaching)
The aunt is just going to ship the car
Probably for the best but I’m kinda bummed now to miss the drive visit

thanks anyway for the help

Change of plans
They had to push this back a week (and I’ll already be teaching)
The aunt is just going to ship the car
Probably for the best but I’m kinda bummed now to miss the drive visit

thanks anyway for the help

I think we are more bummed than you are.. i wanted to see how all this was gonna play out.

Fly into Norfolk Virginia and go to Virginia Beach. BDM
This was going to be my recommendation. DelMarVa beaches are not good. VA Beach feels family oriented, clean, decent beach, and reasonable prices compared to anything north of there.

Hey GMR, hoping your wife finds the strength to pull through the grief she's feeling.

I've made the drive from DC to New Orleans more than I care to remember Wilmington is a solid plan but to offer an alternative...Atlanta is about 10 hours from DC and relatively easy to fly into from New Orleans. From Atlanta you could drive to Mobile, then its an hour to Pensacola or Orange Beach. Of course this isn't the Atlantic, but you have far less road ahead of you home. 3 hours sure beats 12.5 hours.

Serves me right for not skipping to the end of the thread. But I feel I can say this now, Atlantic coach beaches north of Florida are overrated.

Hey GMR, hoping your wife finds the strength to pull through the grief she's feeling.

I've made the drive from DC to New Orleans more than I care to remember Wilmington is a solid plan but to offer an alternative...Atlanta is about 10 hours from DC and relatively easy to fly into from New Orleans. From Atlanta you could drive to Mobile, then its an hour to Pensacola or Orange Beach. Of course this isn't the Atlantic, but you have far less road ahead of you home. 3 hours sure beats 12.5 hours.
Thank you
its been a wild ride so far
15 minutes of fine/30 minutes of intense grief
but I think the trip back up with the boys will help

Silver lining is I won’t have to drive on I-95
My 2 driving rules are:
-never drive through Nebraska again
-avoid I-95 as much as possible

I concur on I-95, the only roads I hate more are the PA and Ohio turnpikes….hope everything gets better for you guys in time brother…..

I concur on I-95, the only roads I hate more are the PA and Ohio turnpikes….hope everything gets better for you guys in time brother…..

I have only driven I 95 a couple times, years and years ago.. but i have an extremely hard time believing that anything is worse than a drive ive made hundreds of times, I 10 from Houston to NOLA…. Not only is it just very boring and flat, completely un-scenic.. but there are so many places to get stuck in traffic; if Beaumont doesnt get you, then Lake Charles (with it’s dilapidated, sorely in need of replacement death-trap I 10 bridge) will.. if not LC, then Lafayette .. and forget about Baton Rouge.. having lived in both Los Angeles and Houston, Baton Rouge has the consistently worst traffic ive ever experienced in my lifetime…. i just hope i never have to make that drive ever again.

I have only driven I 95 a couple times, years and years ago.. but i have an extremely hard time believing that anything is worse than a drive ive made hundreds of times, I 10 from Houston to NOLA…. Not only is it just very boring and flat, completely un-scenic.. but there are so many places to get stuck in traffic; if Beaumont doesnt get you, then Lake Charles (with it’s dilapidated, sorely in need of replacement death-trap I 10 bridge) will.. if not LC, then Lafayette .. and forget about Baton Rouge.. having lived in both Los Angeles and Houston, Baton Rouge has the consistently worst traffic ive ever experienced in my lifetime…. i just hope i never have to make that drive ever again.

The Ohio turnpike is like that, albeit it is almost all farm fields but very boring. The PA turnpike is not boring but more like terrifying….narrow lanes over curvy mountain passes complete with bumps, potholes, uneven parts of roads and 18 wheelers so close you can touch them….no thanks….

The Ohio turnpike is like that, albeit it is almost all farm fields but very boring. The PA turnpike is not boring but more like terrifying….narrow lanes over curvy mountain passes complete with bumps, potholes, uneven parts of roads and 18 wheelers so close you can touch them….no thanks….
Agreed
I was at grad school in NC but still living in NYC, so made that drive plenty of time PA/NJ turnpike being at the end of a 8-9 hour drive is not good for the nerves

ok, so my wife and kids will be in DC Baltimore area with family
they're flying up but driving a car back
i don't want her driving all that by herself even if they do frequent stops - so i'm trying to find a midwayish point to flyup and drive back with them
the catch is that it's looking like this could happen once i've started new student orientation, et al so my window is tight
the other catch is that she wants beach (i know those seem incompatible, but she's in a significant grieving process so i'm trying to accommodate as much as possible)

meeting in Raleigh and going to Wilmington is the best i've come up with
@superchuck500 or anyone else, is there a better itinerary?
better place than Willmington for a quick beach visit?

any help would be appreciated
I'd forego the beaches as this is high tourist season and all beaches in Md, De. and Va are jammed. Instead, head west from Baltimore via I-70 and I-68 and go to Deep Creek Lake in western Maryland. Less expensive and you can get lodging right on the lake for a reasonable price. The lake is great for boating and swimming. We just spent a week there :)

1626802655513.png

I'd forego the beaches as this is high tourist season and all beaches in Md, De. and Va are jammed. Instead, head west from Baltimore via I-70 and I-68 and go to Deep Creek Lake in western Maryland. Less expensive and you can get lodging right on the lake for a reasonable price. The lake is great for boating and swimming. We just spent a week there :)

1626802655513.png

Hmm.. his wife specifically demanded ‘beach’…. That sure is a funny looking beach………. 🙂

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom