De La Puente & Galette also get 2nd round tender (1 Viewer)

I am excited to see what Galette is going to do in the new D scheme and retaining DLP is looking good as well, which is also positive news.

I think Greer gets a paycut/restructure instead of an outright release

Very possible but it seems like we would have already restructured him when all the others were done. It's possible that we are looking to see if we can land an upgrade at the position then release Greer.

I for one would rather have S. Smith at $7.0M vs. Greer at $5.4M or K. Lewis at $6M vs. Greer at $5.4M. This all depends on the hit/dead money we would receive for releasing Greer of course.

These tenders for all three guys are merely placeholders to ensure we have the option for their rights. With the exception of Ivory, I suspect the other two guys will sing longer term deals that will be more cap friendly. Ivory may just not want to continue waiting for a big payday and a starting role, thus may play for the tender and try again next year to leave if his playing time does not increase.

Using a tender like this allows the team to pay the player more than they were making while not overpaying.. If some other team is willing to both part with a draft pick and pay the player more money, the Saints have the option of matching or exceeding that offer and retaining the player. But they wouldn't have overpaid, as the market would have been set by how the rest of the league values the player.

I think that the more time that passes the more likely it is that they stay. Normally the FO handles vets in a very professional manner, cutting them early so they can catch on with another team.

Well, they are giving them a lot of time. If they do cut them, it will be right at the start of free agency, giving them plenty of time to catch on with another team. Plus, they made the offers for the pay cuts at least two weeks ago so that gave them plenty of time to make a decision on if they want to take the pay cut or leave. I don't think it's a done deal that they are gone, but I do think the longer it takes, the more likely they are to get cut and that whatever will happen will happen before Tuesday.

I also think it's possible that Vilma will get released, see what is out there, and end up back with the Saints at a much lower number.

Agents could negotiate as of last night and it would benefit Smith and Vilma if they were already on the market. I think no news means they are going to be around on lesser deals.

They were given the option to take the pay cut or get cut weeks ago. It's is not the team's fault if they did not choose to act earlier.

Very possible but it seems like we would have already restructured him when all the others were done. It's possible that we are looking to see if we can land an upgrade at the position then release Greer.

I for one would rather have S. Smith at $7.0M vs. Greer at $5.4M or K. Lewis at $6M vs. Greer at $5.4M. This all depends on the hit/dead money we would receive for releasing Greer of course.

Greer is not getting cut. He is our best CB and we are thin at CB to begin with. I can clearly see adding another CB, but not at the expense of Greer who is really a bargain at his cap number. He's getting older, but he has at least a few very productive years left in him.

These tenders for all three guys are merely placeholders to ensure we have the option for their rights. With the exception of Ivory, I suspect the other two guys will sing longer term deals that will be more cap friendly. Ivory may just not want to continue waiting for a big payday and a starting role, thus may play for the tender and try again next year to leave if his playing time does not increase.

De la Puente might sing a longer term deal, but I think that it is likely that Galette will play on the tender deal. He is really an unknown as a starter at any position and especially at the Rush LB spot in a 3-4. So, it makes sense for the team to wait at least another year before they invest in him long term and it makes sense for Galette to try to have a big year and earn a big contract. So, it really makes sense for both sides to wait at least another year before thinking about a long term deal.

De la Puente on the other hand already is a solid starter for two years and both sides probably know what his ceiling is so it is much easier to sign a longer term deal for both sides.

Edit: Well, apparently, I have no idea what I am talking about. :covri:

De la Puente might sing a longer term deal, but I think that it is likely that Galette will play on the tender deal. He is really an unknown as a starter at any position and especially at the Rush LB spot in a 3-4. So, it makes sense for the team to wait at least another year before they invest in him long term and it makes sense for Galette to try to have a big year and earn a big contract. So, it really makes sense for both sides to wait at least another year before thinking about a long term deal.

De la Puente on the other hand already is a solid starter for two years and both sides probably know what his ceiling is so it is much easier to sign a longer term deal for both sides.

Uh oh. Heh.

The good thing is that absolutely none of us know what we're talking about. We all play guessing games one here and everyone claims to have known after the fact. At least you didn't wimp out and delete your post. Kudos to you, midge.

.... but I think that it is likely that Galette will play on the tender deal. He is really an unknown as a starter at any position and especially at the Rush LB spot in a 3-4. So, it makes sense for the team to wait at least another year before they invest in him long term and it makes sense for Galette to try to have a big year and earn a big contract. So, it really makes sense for both sides to wait at least another year before thinking about a long term deal.

Very upstanding of you to point that out before anyone else did! :hihi:
I hope to be the same ... if I'm ever wrong, that is.

JUST KIDDING!! (I've been wrong once)

Galette signed a 3 year deal.....hope Dlp does as well!

I hope we lose both Harper and Jenkins by next year. ONe is overpaid and the other isn't very good at FS...neither are playmakers and both are liabilities in coverage.

Their only redeeming quality is that they hustle. Great, too bad it happens after they get beat..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom