De La Puente & Galette also get 2nd round tender (1 Viewer)

scott88

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
We heard Friday night the New Orleans Saints had placed the second-round tender on restricted free agent Chris Ivory.

But the running back isn’t the only one getting that tender. Center Brian de la Puente and defensive end Junior Galette also have been designated for the $2.023 million tender. Other teams can make offers, but the Saints would have the right of first refusal and would receive a second-round pick if either player were to leave.

The tender is likely to prevent other teams from making offers. De La Puente has emerged as a solid starter and Galette should have a chance to be an edge rusher as the Saints switch to a 3-4 defense.

The tenders leave the Saints about $6 million over the cap. That means more moves have to come before Tuesday and veterans Will Smith, Jonathan Vilma and Roman Harper are candidates for restructure or release.

New Orleans Saints tender two more RFAs - NFC South Blog - ESPN

It's looking more and more like Smith and Vilma will get the axe. They have until Tuesday, but the more time that passes the more likely we are to cut to get under the cap.

I would have liked to sign DLP and/or Galette to a reasonable longer term deal. This way we would not have to address them in addition to Graham and possibly Jenkins next year.

It's looking more and more like Smith and Vilma will get the axe. They have until Tuesday, but the more time that passes the more likely we are to cut to get under the cap.

I think that the more time that passes the more likely it is that they stay. Normally the FO handles vets in a very professional manner, cutting them early so they can catch on with another team.

Agents could negotiate as of last night and it would benefit Smith and Vilma if they were already on the market. I think no news means they are going to be around on lesser deals.

don't forget Harper, the fact that he hasn't been asked to take a pay cut or restructure his deal has to mean something

What a difference having the general manager back in the saddle. The second-round tenders mean we're making every little effort to reclaim the draft pick taken from us. I only see good things this season. :9:

don't forget Harper, the fact that he hasn't been asked to take a pay cut or restructure his deal has to mean something

Same with Greer, his $5.4m cap hit is nothing to sneeze at either. I know we are thin at CB but we may be trying to buy his replacement on the open market for =< his salary.

Same with Greer, his $5.4m cap hit is nothing to sneeze at either. I know we are thin at CB but we may be trying to buy his replacement on the open market for =< his salary.

I think Greer gets a paycut/restructure instead of an outright release

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom