Dead After 11 Years (1 Viewer)

Yes, my green 1999 Ford Ranger, after 11 years and 139,000 miles, has died. I was driving it home the other day and the temperature gauge went low and then spiked high and then settled in the middle. I took it in to my local mechanic and the diagnosis was not what I wanted to hear: replace the head gasket. Well, the truck is only worth $1200.00 at best (KBB) and the cost of replacing the head gasket is $1300.00. Simple math says that the Rangers best days are now behind it.

I realize that I have been driving on borrowed time and that the truck owes me nothing but why at the holidays? Oh well. So now, we go car shopping, which I loathe. And the emphasis is on a car, not a truck. Financial reasons dictate that now. Both my step brothers work/own the local Line-X and my stepmother works there too. Both have brand new big trucks so this is a little humbling. (As to why it's not a total family business, well, that's another post/bar talk for another day.

So, my wife and I are looking at affordable, reliable cars. The three that pop up are the Ford Fusion, the Toyota Corolla and surprisingly, the Chevy Cruze. What do you all think?

I have a '96 Ford Ranger with 189,000 miles and still going strong. I love my truck... Oh, as for your choices, I'd take the Ford Fusion.

I have a 94 danga ranga with 184k, just had to swap transmissions in it, but it's still running like a champ. Any decent shadetree mechanic should be able to do the head gasket in less than a weekend. Tell a mechanically inclined friend you'll pay him 200 bucks and a case of beer for the job, should cost you about 150 for replacement gaskets. If it's the 4.0L v6 it's not that hard, I had to replace the heads in my old explorer and did it in one day with a broken wrist.

Is the math really that simple?

IF the rest of the car is in good shape, I don't see why $1300 would be too much to repair it. Even better if it's cheaper like others have suggested.

I'd consider how long the car would likely last before the next major repair and compare that to car payments and a down payment on a new car for the same amount of time.

1300 for a head gasket is terrible, V6 or not. 1300 for two head gaskets makes more sense, but its still too much.

and, if im replacing cars, its the Fusion, all the way.

91 Jeep Cherokee... 225K and still going strong... I am going for 300K...

Joe

UPDATE: After much deliberation, we went with a newer vehicle. We ended up with a 2007 Mazda 6 iSport. It only has 21,000 miles on it, was bought at the dealership I bought it from, gets 25 mpg city and 32 mph highway and is big enough for the family. I will miss the utility of a truck but we are lucky enough that my family has trucks and can let us borrow them when needed. Well, now that the vehicle thing is settled, now we move on to the banging pipes in the walls. It never ends....

1YVHP80C875M33273-1c.jpg

Anything Hyundai is reliable.... low cost, great mpg.

Sonata
Genesis
Azera

I STRONGLY urge you to at least look look about, see what you may like...

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/

Was strongly going to suggest this as well as I just helped a good friend make a purchase with a similar story to yours, congrats on the Mazda and may it give you the longevity your truck gave you :D!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom