Dead After 11 Years (1 Viewer)

St. Anger

Guaranteed A Red Thumb
Reaction score
Yes, my green 1999 Ford Ranger, after 11 years and 139,000 miles, has died. I was driving it home the other day and the temperature gauge went low and then spiked high and then settled in the middle. I took it in to my local mechanic and the diagnosis was not what I wanted to hear: replace the head gasket. Well, the truck is only worth $1200.00 at best (KBB) and the cost of replacing the head gasket is $1300.00. Simple math says that the Rangers best days are now behind it.

I realize that I have been driving on borrowed time and that the truck owes me nothing but why at the holidays? Oh well. So now, we go car shopping, which I loathe. And the emphasis is on a car, not a truck. Financial reasons dictate that now. Both my step brothers work/own the local Line-X and my stepmother works there too. Both have brand new big trucks so this is a little humbling. (As to why it's not a total family business, well, that's another post/bar talk for another day.

So, my wife and I are looking at affordable, reliable cars. The three that pop up are the Ford Fusion, the Toyota Corolla and surprisingly, the Chevy Cruze. What do you all think?

Out of those 3, I'd go with the Toyota.

Cant go wrong with the yota.
I worked in the Mechanic field for a long time to know those cars are reliable.
Never worked on a fusion or cruz.

We just downsized to a Honda Civic......It was cheaper than the Toyota and had received an almost identical quality rating. I went to Price Honda in Dover and they were the best dealership I've dealt with.

I really like my Hyundai Elantra - check that one out as well. Very very similar to the Corolla.

Yes, my green 1999 Ford Ranger, after 11 years and 139,000 miles, has died. I was driving it home the other day and the temperature gauge went low and then spiked high and then settled in the middle. I took it in to my local mechanic and the diagnosis was not what I wanted to hear: replace the head gasket. Well, the truck is only worth $1200.00 at best (KBB) and the cost of replacing the head gasket is $1300.00. Simple math says that the Rangers best days are now behind it.

I realize that I have been driving on borrowed time and that the truck owes me nothing but why at the holidays? Oh well. So now, we go car shopping, which I loathe. And the emphasis is on a car, not a truck. Financial reasons dictate that now. Both my step brothers work/own the local Line-X and my stepmother works there too. Both have brand new big trucks so this is a little humbling. (As to why it's not a total family business, well, that's another post/bar talk for another day.

So, my wife and I are looking at affordable, reliable cars. The three that pop up are the Ford Fusion, the Toyota Corolla and surprisingly, the Chevy Cruze. What do you all think?
imho $1300 to replace a head gasket is outrageous. No way to do it yourself?
ETA, the Cruze is a new car with no history. I wouldn't recommend that one.

ETA, the Cruze is a new car with no history. I wouldn't recommend that one.[/QUOTE]

Never take a chance on a new line of cars. It seems as if there is always bugs that have to be worked out.

ETA, the Cruze is a new car with no history. I wouldn't recommend that one.

I agree, assuming it is a four banger, that should be a fairly easy Saturday morning job.

$1300.00 is banana's but I checked around that is the average, going rate. My Ranger is a V6 which would complicate the whole replacement thingy. Plus, I know squat about fixing engines.

UPDATE: We just came back from the dealership and amazingly, the Ford Focus is the front runner. We found one loaded, clean record, the whole shooting match for right in our financial wheel house. Waiting on the call back from the dealer....

I would normally advise against a new model car, but GM has been doing well lately. The new Malibu is every bit as good of a car as the Accord and/or Camry.

ETA, the Cruze is a new car with no history. I wouldn't recommend that one.[/QUOTE]

Never take a chance on a new line of cars. It seems as if there is always bugs that have to be worked out.

Just like the iphone 4

Find yourself a used Lumina. My mighty '01 has nearly 150k miles, gets an oil change once a year whether it needs it or not, and still averages nearly 30mpg on the highway. It's even so nice as to flash the check engine light ever so often just to let me know the bulb is still good.

I have a 99 maxima with 195k on it. Still runs, I have to do some work though. Those aftermarket ignition coil packs suck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom