Deadline restructures: Lattimore, Jordan, and Kamara restructured, clearing $26 million in cap savings ($740,405 cap space after restructures) (1 Viewer)

So once Jameis declines the new deal and gets himself inevitably released post June, the Saints will have around 13 million in space for 2023

So once Jameis declines the new deal and gets himself inevitably released post June, the Saints will have around 13 million in space for 2023
The Saints will have to wait 2.5 months to see the 10M cap space from Winston’s post-June 1 cut though. They have to be working on restructures for a few other players for further immediate cap space to go into FA

I get where you're coming from but I've been hearing that for a decade and I'm still waiting for that shoe to drop.
The shoe drops just about every year. The Saints tend to lead the league in dead money every year... that is cap space that can't be spent to help the team. It's typically at 15% of the salary cap. Sometimes exceeding 20%.

It's the price the team pays... simitar to interest on a credit card that they seem to max out on a regular basis.

What will MTs contract look like though?
His 2023 cap hit won’t change since it’s restructured to vet minimum. But a new deal will probably be in the $12-15 million per year range with incentives to reach $20M a year and reduces that guaranteed $59 million cap hit in 2024 down to the the new deal’s per year average or less.

The shoe drops just about every year. The Saints tend to lead the league in dead money every year... that is cap space that can't be spent to help the team. It's typically at 15% of the salary cap. Sometimes exceeding 20%.

It's the price the team pays... simitar to interest on a credit card that they seem to max out on a regular basis.
You also have to realize that was money that allowed the player to be cheaply held on the roster. That 10m in dead money for "x" player is now say 5% of the cap. If you would have paid it 2 years earlier instead of pushing it back it would have eaten up say 8% of the salary cap when it was a lower cap. You've lessened the impact of that contract overall. You've allowed for better roster quality overall.

A credit card on the other hand grows more interest the more you don't pay the premium. The salary cap is unrelated to credit cards. It's a different animal with different features. You can't relate the rules of thumb you learned about borrowing and investing to the cap. You actually lower what is owed relatively by not paying the premium and pushing it forward.

As long as they are taking mild hits from contracts I'm cool with it. I think it's smart. They may eventually be seeing 20+mil dead money hits on contracts because of void years collapsing in the future though. Those are going to handcuff you that year. It's more efficient, the sum is just too large for one year. Again I think those only came because of the Covid year. The other stuff I'm fine with.

Last edited:
You also have to realize that was money that allowed the player to be cheaply held on the roster. That 10m in dead money for "x" player is now say 5% of the cap. If you would have paid it 2 years earlier instead of pushing it back it would have eaten up say 8% of the salary cap when it was a lower cap. You've lessened the impact of that contract overall. You've allowed for better roster quality overall.

A credit card on the other hand grows more interest the more you don't pay the premium. The salary cap is unrelated to credit cards. It's a different animal with different features. You can't relate the rules of thumb you learned about borrowing and investing to the cap. You actually lower what is owed relatively by not paying the premium and pushing it forward.

As long as they are taking mild hits from contracts I'm cool with it. I think it's smart. They may eventually be seeing 20+mil dead money hits on contracts because of void years collapsing in the future though. Those are going to handcuff you that year. It's more efficient, the sum is just too large for one year. Again I think those only came because of the Covid year. The other stuff I'm fine with.

Quoting so people can read it again! Taking smaller hits for many good players gives you a better roster over all than taking a big hit for 1 player. Over the life of the contracts it's all the same but you're managing a better over all roster instead of trading one good player you can afford under the cap for the next good player you can afford under the cap.

Lastly, ACCUMULATING CAP SPACE just means your team will suck until you're forced to spend the money. Why anyone would want that for their team is beyond me. I dont want to watch terrible football hoping to pay good players one day. What the **** is that?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom