Deandre Brown commits to USM. (1 Viewer)

Who do we think we are?

DeAndre will give LSU nightmares on November 7th 2009

Congrats. Nice kid who just couldn't get his grades in order. Hope he does big things with yall

Deandre Brown *****
Bo Tillman ****
Freddie Parham ****
Charles Mitchell ****
Bud Barksdale***
Desmond Johnson ***
Willie Packer ***
Joel Ross ***

Those are the biggest of our recruits right there.

Deandre Brown *****
Bo Tillman ****
Freddie Parham ****
Charles Mitchell ****
Bud Barksdale***
Desmond Johnson ***
Willie Packer ***
Joel Ross ***

Those are the biggest of our recruits right there.

To be fair.

Bo Tillman is going JUCO
Parham is a JUCO
You don't have Charles Mitchell
And Bud Barksdale was released by Ole Miss (no one else is recruiting him).

Packer will be a good one though. I'm not too familiar with Ross or Johnson.

To be fair.

Bo Tillman is going JUCO
Parham is a JUCO
You don't have Charles Mitchell
And Bud Barksdale was released by Ole Miss (no one else is recruiting him).

Packer will be a good one though. I'm not too familiar with Ross or Johnson.
I'm pretty sure Chalres Mitchell is almost a lock to come to Southern Miss. And anyway, what people must understand is that this was a huge recruiting class for us. Sinply huge. The entire coaching staff has only been here for a little over 4 weeks. Just think about all that.

About Desmond Johsnon and Joel Ross. Johnson is a very underrated back from Yazoo City. He broke his leg after like 5 games into the season, but still maged to rack up 1000 yds on the ground.

Joel Ross: Don't know a whole lot about him, although he was ranked as one of the highest DL prospects in LA. He's a big guy. 6''1 310.

Last edited:
http://www.sunherald.com/sports/story/342015.html

Yes!!! Huge day for us. And probably the best recruiting class we've ever had. Now, I just hope he doesn't change his mind.

To the top, baby! To the Top!!!!!

Congrats Kewee. Brown is likely the biggest name at USM since Favre. I hope he can get eligible and look forward to seeing him play in Tiger stadium.

I'm pretty sure Chalres Mitchell is almost a lock to come to Southern Miss

No. This isn't a Lawrence situation where you always had 0% chance no matter what you heard, Mitchell could go USM, but he's not a lock and USM isn't even the favorite (Nebraska is)

And anyway, what people must understand is that this was a huge recruiting class for us. Sinply huge. The entire coaching staff has only been here for a little over 4 weeks. Just think about all that.

UM was set to take an enormous amount of academically-at-risk kids. Principal among them, Josh Tillman, Willie Packer, Quinn Sanford, etc. Nutt dropped almost all of them, in some cases to bring in his own personnal recruits (Justin Smith for Willie Packer, Gerald Rivers for Josh Tillman), or just because he didn't like the player (Quinn Sanford). Hughes was able to bring this recruiting class in large part to USM except for the players other SEC schools wanted (Tig retained by UM, Alonzo to Bama, Wadley to Auburn, etc).

Let me tell you what to expect.

MOST of those kids will qualify. I know a lot of UM people or other fans will say "player X has no chance to qualify", they're wrong. Most will.

The problem is, you will go through the summer and even into August when most teams are practicing already waiting for these kids to qualify as they get declared LD, take correspondence courses, and work their way through the NCAA clearing house. Ole Miss had to endure this for 3 years. Then, once the kid is in school, you'll have to sweat him academically every year in school.

It's a good method to increase your talent level, again, it's the Ed Orgeron plan so i'm familiar with it. You bring in a lot of prospects most other schools wouldn't touch but have a high level of talent.

The problem, and this was for Ole Miss, maybe it won't hold true for you, is you end up with an inherently, well i'll be honest, "stupid" team that is constantly struggling to stay qualified. You end up with juniors like Rory Johnson entering the NFL draft despite not being anywhere near ready because they are in such bad shape academically, players like Ted Laurent, Chris Strong, or Brent Schaeffer who don't get onto campus until September because they can't get cleared, or guys like Mico McSwain who just disappear due to grades (he couldn't even make it to his Junior year in order to prematurely declare like Rory did. Our record holder for most rushing yards as a Freshman, breaking Deuce's record, lasted 2 years at Ole Miss).

Now, it may not turn out like that for you guys. There are pretty good odds Fedora is a flat-out better coach then Orgeron which may make a significant difference. I'm just giving you a heads up on what to expect.

The good news is Southern Miss has always placed an extremely high emphasis on graduating its players, as evidenced by our graduation rates, which have been as high as 92%. This wasn't a Bower thing but rather is a part of the athletic establishment here. Lots of support.

No. This isn't a Lawrence situation where you always had 0% chance no matter what you heard, Mitchell could go USM, but he's not a lock and USM isn't even the favorite (Nebraska is)

UM was set to take an enormous amount of academically-at-risk kids. Principal among them, Josh Tillman, Willie Packer, Quinn Sanford, etc. Nutt dropped almost all of them, in some cases to bring in his own personnal recruits (Justin Smith for Willie Packer, Gerald Rivers for Josh Tillman), or just because he didn't like the player (Quinn Sanford). Hughes was able to bring this recruiting class in large part to USM except for the players other SEC schools wanted (Tig retained by UM, Alonzo to Bama, Wadley to Auburn, etc).

Let me tell you what to expect.

MOST of those kids will qualify. I know a lot of UM people or other fans will say "player X has no chance to qualify", they're wrong. Most will.

The problem is, you will go through the summer and even into August when most teams are practicing already waiting for these kids to qualify as they get declared LD, take correspondence courses, and work their way through the NCAA clearing house. Ole Miss had to endure this for 3 years. Then, once the kid is in school, you'll have to sweat him academically every year in school.

It's a good method to increase your talent level, again, it's the Ed Orgeron plan so i'm familiar with it. You bring in a lot of prospects most other schools wouldn't touch but have a high level of talent.

The problem, and this was for Ole Miss, maybe it won't hold true for you, is you end up with an inherently, well i'll be honest, "stupid" team that is constantly struggling to stay qualified. You end up with juniors like Rory Johnson entering the NFL draft despite not being anywhere near ready because they are in such bad shape academically, players like Ted Laurent, Chris Strong, or Brent Schaeffer who don't get onto campus until September because they can't get cleared, or guys like Mico McSwain who just disappear due to grades (he couldn't even make it to his Junior year in order to prematurely declare like Rory did. Our record holder for most rushing yards as a Freshman, breaking Deuce's record, lasted 2 years at Ole Miss).

Now, it may not turn out like that for you guys. There are pretty good odds Fedora is a flat-out better coach then Orgeron which may make a significant difference. I'm just giving you a heads up on what to expect.

Fedora came to Southern Miss, and made it clear that character was very important. He went out and hired Christian coaches to come in and help these guys. Now I know, not all Christians are good people, but Fedora knew these guys inside and out, and had faith in them to be great coaches. I flat-out believe that this will not be a problem like it was for you guys. Hearing Fedora speak, you know he's a smart guy, a family man, and genuinly cares about his players, not some oaf who yells and speaks like a bafoon, like Oregeron. I'm sorry, but the day you guys hired Oregeron, I had a feeling he wouldn't be around long. I get a totally different feeling with Fedora. Do this for me Spam, simply admit that you never would have thought USM would have a class like this under a first year head coach. Just do it.

BTW, Mico Mcswain will try to walk on for us at USM.

Fedora came to Southern Miss, and made it clear that character was very important. He went out and hired Christian coaches to come in and help these guys. Now I know, not all Christians are good people, but Fedora knew these guys inside and out, and had faith in them to be great coaches. I flat-out believe that this will not be a problem like it was for you guys. Hearing Fedora speak, you know he's a smart guy, a family man, and genuinly cares about his players, not some oaf who yells and speaks like a bafoon, like Oregeron.

:hihi:

And then he went out and hired Orgeron's assistant coaches and brought in a lot of Orgeron's recruiting class

Maybe the man at the top will make all the difference in the world, but it's Orgeron's gameplan he's following so :shrug:

Fedora came to Southern Miss, and made it clear that character was very important. He went out and hired Christian coaches to come in and help these guys. Now I know, not all Christians are good people, but Fedora knew these guys inside and out, and had faith in them to be great coaches. I flat-out believe that this will not be a problem like it was for you guys. Hearing Fedora speak, you know he's a smart guy, a family man, and genuinly cares about his players, not some oaf who yells and speaks like a bafoon, like Oregeron. I'm sorry, but the day you guys hired Oregeron, I had a feeling he wouldn't be around long. I get a totally different feeling with Fedora. Do this for me Spam, simply admit that you never would have thought USM would have a class like this under a first year head coach. Just do it.

BTW, Mico Mcswain will try to walk on for us at USM.

The boasting is sort of weird with your posts. No doubt you should be happy but the circumstances under which you are getting these players is really nothing to be happy about. It's not like your winning recruiting battles, your winning battles of standards academically (or lack of). I can see why you would be happy, and you should be as a fan of the team but let's be honest with everyone here and realize exactly why you are getting these players. Great recruiting staff? Probably not.

Congrats, Eagles. Now go find him a Qb and a couple blockers...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom