Death by Golf?!?! (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I just read this off the Vice site:

On April 15, 1982, 26-year-old Michael Scaglione was playing golf with friends at the City Park West Municipal Golf Course in New Orleans. After making a bad shot on the 13th hole, Scaglione became angry with himself and threw his club against a golf cart. When the club broke, the clubhead rebounded and stabbed Scaglione in the throat, severing his jugular vein. Scaglione staggered back and pulled the metal piece from his neck. Had he not done that, he might have lived, since the clubhead could have reduced the rapid flow of blood.

Did this really happen? Anyone ever hear about this?

I have not heard of this particular story but I have heard of a guy who hit his club against a tree and it broke and snapped back and stabbed him in the chest. He did not die but was severly injured to say the least. This is why people should keep their cool when playing golf and remember that it is just a game.

T

I have not heard of this particular story but I have heard of a guy who hit his club against a tree and it broke and snapped back and stabbed him in the chest. He did not die but was severly injured to say the least. This is why people should keep their cool when playing golf and remember that it is just a game.

T

Golf is not a matter of life & death. It's *way* more important than that.

BTW, I've heard the original story before too, but can't find any substantiated links confirming it.

T

Yeah, when people throw clubs or go nuts over bad shots, it pretends as if there is no such thing as an errant shot in golf, or that you are above that. Maybe Tiger can go nuts since his quality of play is so consistent, but normal people...no. It looks ridiculous. Getting frustrated is proper, since it is a frustrating game when nothing is going right, but going nuts over a less than perfect shot here in there is plain dumb, unless your at Tiger's level.

I know there is a tree on the East course that always has flowers and such around it. I thought that was a memorial for a guy that got struck by lightning and died.

I have been told that the entire City Park course except for driving range is a field of weeds.....is that true?

I remember golfing one of the courses out there and an old guy we were playing with showed me where Ben Hogan signed and wrote a note on one of the little shelters on the course. I think it was Ben Hogan's signature, or one of those big names from that era.

May whatever god that you pray too strike you down for referring to Ben Hogan as "Ben Hogan or one of those big names from that era".

I think I'm safe. My Callaways and Nike's are too dang expensive for me to go throwing them around.

May whatever god that you pray too strike you down for referring to Ben Hogan as "Ben Hogan or one of those big names from that era".

Well I do play with Ben Hogan irons....does that help my case?

You are hearby relinquished of all rights to your irons. Please check your PMs for proper disposal procedures... :D

I heard on Walton and Johnson this morning they had a guy from Georgia deployed to Iraq, before he was even sent on duty they have a 9 hole golf course they made and the guy got hit in the head with a golf ball and died.

It happens.

I think I'm safe. My Callaways and Nike's are too dang expensive for me to go throwing them around.

My uncles have expensive clubs and they have come up with a solution that wil not hurt their expensive clubs. They have a throwing club. IT is an old piece of crap that is never used unless you are aggrevated. Then you walk to your bag and get the throwing club and do what you want with out messing up one of your good clubs.

Seems to work for them but they are not wrapping it around a tree or a golf cart.

T

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom