Death Certificate? (1 Viewer)

Waymer

Waymer
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Long story short is that over 12 years ago we struck a deal with a lady we knew to basically take over her rights for our Saints season tickets (they were mailed to us, and we paid the bills...everything was still mailed c/o her name). Shortly after that she passed away unfortunately and we were never able to officially inform the Saints office of the change like we intended. Well to this day our tickets are still in her name although all the invoices, notices, etc are still mailed to us and we pay the bills. There's never once been a problem with this, and we've always received our tickets, notices, etc. But, simply for piece of mind I suppose I would like to get the tickets officially switched over to our family instead of being c/o said women. The Saints ticket office has no problem making the switch, but we must provide them with a copy of the death certificate to make it official.

The problem is, from what I can tell and from what the state of Arkansas has told me when I have called, is that in order to obtain a death certificate you have to be immediate family of the deceased. She had no children, and I expect that her husband has since passed away (or at best is impossible to reach/find). Are there any routes/methods I can take to obtain a death certificate. I've seen these websites like VitalCheck and whatnot, but even they seem to have the caveat that you must be immediate family.

Any ideas or suggestions or places to look?

so u killed an old lady and stole her tickets? hehe j/k... u got me there man!!

Long story short is that over 12 years ago we struck a deal with a lady we knew to basically take over her rights for our Saints season tickets (they were mailed to us, and we paid the bills...everything was still mailed c/o her name). Shortly after that she passed away unfortunately and we were never able to officially inform the Saints office of the change like we intended. Well to this day our tickets are still in her name although all the invoices, notices, etc are still mailed to us and we pay the bills. There's never once been a problem with this, and we've always received our tickets, notices, etc. But, simply for piece of mind I suppose I would like to get the tickets officially switched over to our family instead of being c/o said women. The Saints ticket office has no problem making the switch, but we must provide them with a copy of the death certificate to make it official.

The problem is, from what I can tell and from what the state of Arkansas has told me when I have called, is that in order to obtain a death certificate you have to be immediate family of the deceased. She had no children, and I expect that her husband has since passed away (or at best is impossible to reach/find). Are there any routes/methods I can take to obtain a death certificate. I've seen these websites like VitalCheck and whatnot, but even they seem to have the caveat that you must be immediate family.

Any ideas or suggestions or places to look?

Why not see if you can get the coroner of her county to sign an affidavit that she's dead :shrug:

Why not see if you can get the coroner of her county to sign an affidavit that she's dead :shrug:

I asked the ticket office if that was sufficient, they said no, they needed the actual certificate. I've tried that route on two separate ticket agents already. :covri:

That's actually a good idea. Ask the Saints office if they'll take an affidavit from a proper official (coroner or some other official) in lieu of a death certificate, which you cannot get b/c you're not immediate family.

edit- just saw that you tried that. doh.

The only other thing that might work would be to petition the local district court there to get a judge to rule for them to provide it to you. Otherwise, you'd have to get them to change the law (presuming they won't just give you an exception on their own).

You might even be able to file that without hiring a lawyer. Just get their form for a Petition and fill it out. Keep it simple.

I guess- can't really think of anything else.
Good luck!

I asked the ticket office if that was sufficient, they said no, they needed the actual certificate. I've tried that route on two separate ticket agents already. :covri:

So then how about proof of probate? Or better yet request the records from that case, most likely a death certificate will be needed to open probate and in the files.

Tell them you want to charge the season tickets to the credit card she had registered with them.

do you have a picture of you standing next to the casket?

edit

man, I sound cruel. I just thought of George Costanza... Good luck with that.

shovel.jpg

If there was something you had from the Saints that had both your names on it, they would issue you a death certificate.

I do real estate title work in Louisiana. When a person dies owning real estate, a succession suit must be opened to clear the title the real estate for the heirs. There is a document that must be filed in the suit called the Affidavit of Death and Heirship. It basically attests to:

1) The decedent's passing on a certain date
2) His/her marital status
3) Any children, adopted or otherwise
4) Any surviving parents

Arkansas must have a similar document. If this woman died possessing just about anything of value, it is likely that a suit will have to be opened to settle her estate. Now I realize that the Saints wouldn't take something similar from a coroner (which is absurd considering the coroner has access to the death certificate), but this might be a little different since this is part of a court proceeding to distribute property.

It's rare, but sometimes the death certificate is part of the suit. In that case, it becomes public record. I can attest to the fact that the general public (non-family members) cannot, in most cases, get access to death certificates for many years after a person has died. It's an unfortunate byproduct of a widespread fraud (i.e.: stolen SS#s, etc.).

Good luck.

If you know what town she passed away in, you might try finding a copy of the local paper's obituary for her. These are usually kept on microfilm records at the local library.

Contacting funeral homes there may help, also.

Contact the Times-Picayune with the story, it may help.

Seems like you have enough documentation to warrant the transfer without the death certificate, i.e. years of invoices, bills paid, etc.

If all else fails, start a riot.

All good suggestions, and I understand the concern of the team not just randomly believe someone...but as was pointed out the bills have been paid by our credit cards for 12+ years. I've got all the info as far as her social security number, place of death, date of death, etc, etc. I mean a simple check of the social security death index proves she is dead, but that also won't fly with the team.

I do like the suggestion to start a riot. :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom