Debate: Flacco vs Ryan (1 Viewer)

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Obviously we hate all things Falcons related, but this is purely a football debate. I hate Matty Ice as much as the next person. But lets take our B&G shades off for a minute and just talk football.

Saw a debate on twitter started by Steve Wyche of NFLN. He said he prefered Ryan over Flacco slightly saying Ryan hasnt played with elite defenses.

Its is an interesting debate. If you were starting a franchise, and had your choice between Flacco and Ryan, who would you choose? Who do you think is the better QB?

Flacco has a Super Bowl ring sure, but I hate the whole "You have to having a ring to be considered a great QB" thing. Winning championships is all about the team and coaching. QB'ing plays a major role but to me it has no barring on how good you are as a QB. Flacco has had tons of success since coming into the league. His first few years he was sort of protected by an elite defense and running game. He's matured overtime and put the offense on his back. His last 2 post seasons were outstanding. But his regular season play leaves plenty to be desired. Lots of inconsistency there. Is that him, or due to coaching? Cam Cameron got fired and replaced by Jim Caldwell at the end of the season then Flacco started rolling. He is obviously a superior arm talent, perhaps the best arm in the league. He has some good pocket presense and is tough in the pocket. I wonder about his presnap reads at times and wonder how much control he has over an offense. I've read rumors that he's not much of a film junky.

Ryan, similar has enjoyed success since coming into the league. Although not much post-season success, since taking over he's won of lot of games and made a lot of last minute comebacks. He's obviously a smart kid, student of the game, and loves the game of football. Has a decent arm, not a bazooka like Flacco, but good enough to threaten the whole field. My knock on him over the years has been down field accuracy. He's gotten better with it recently. Over the years he's also been show to struggle when expected to throw the ball more than 30 times a game, but last year he showed he can put it on his back without a elite running game, but there are still question marks IMO. With my hatred for the falcons, it's hard for me to analyze him without bias, but from what I've seen...he is accurate, especially with short and intermediate, shows good anticipation on throws (this is where Flacco lacks IMO), is a good leader and good at presnap.

So who would you choose if you were starting a franchise, and had to pick between Flacco or Ryan?

BnG shades off, and I honestly say that its still Flacco. Matt Ryan is the answer for Atlanta, no doubt...a hell of a get for them. But, you have to go with what you see:

1. Rings matter

2. Flacco really threw his team into the Super Bowl two years in a row, but Lee Evans flubbed it up. That pass in the AFCCG hit Lee Evans in the hands like a handoff, he had it and let the defender knock it out.

3. Matt Ryan has had Roddy White and now Julio Jones for a piece; now add-in Gonzo and Steven Jackson (How much more do we have to give him to win?). Flacco got Anquan Boldin and went to SB and won it.

It is what it is...

BnG shades off, and I honestly say that its still Flacco. Matt Ryan is the answer for Atlanta, no doubt...a hell of a get for them. But, you have to go with what you see:

1. Rings matter

2. Flacco really threw his team into the Super Bowl two years in a row, but Lee Evans flubbed it up. That pass in the AFCCG hit Lee Evans in the hands like a handoff, he had it and let the defender knock it out.

3. Matt Ryan has had Roddy White and now Julio Jones for a piece; now add-in Gonzo and Steven Jackson (How much more do we have to give him to win?). Flacco got Anquan Boldin and went to SB and won it.

It is what it is...

This is all true. You make a very compelling argument.

I would say Flacco, simply b/c Ryan has a ridiculous number of weapons.

Flacco- Ray Rice. Um, various middle of the road receivers. TE Dennis Pitta is good but not all pro.

Ryan- Literally the greatest TE of all time, Gonzalez. Two Pro Bowl Receivers in Jones and White, and a fairly good slot receiver in Douglas. Running game has gone down, but had a pro bowl RB previously in Michael Turner.

Flacco also has a stronger arm and a tougher pocket presence. All homerism completely aside, Matt Ryan is a good QB but I would take Flacco.

This is all true. You make a very compelling argument.

I guess a point could be made about the defense, and, if Ryan had a defense like Flacco had all this time. That would be a good discussion, but just offensively, it's Flacco.

I say Flacco over Ryan. I don't think Ryan is elite, but very good. With all the weapons Ryan has his numbers should be off the charts.

Flacco with less weapons has been deep in the playoffs many times. And one TD drop from back to back appearances in the Super Bowl.

1. Rings matter

It is what it is...
Very true. As they say though, Defense wins Championchips and they had a damn good one. Ryan's gotta quit choking to compare AND win at least a RING. Ryan has 7 INTs in 4 yrs of post seasons. Flacco has 8 in 5 seasons but actually in 4 seasons because last yr he threw 0 to win the SB. Brees threw 4 INTs in 5 seasons.

Fun Fact: Any QB who throws 8+ TDs and 0 INTs in the post season never lost in the SB. Flacco, Brees and a cpl others have done this.

I just dont understand the notion of "better in the post season" as if they are 2 separate seasons. I think it's a function of you, and the team around you. The Ravens, as an entire team played better in the post season last year. Players came back, the defense played better and more physical. Jim Caldwell shockingly put together a great game plan. Recievers caught jump balls and they were aggressive on offense.

But I do agree with you guys. I think Flacco edges him out. I think if Flacco had Julio Jones, Julio would have Calvin Johnson numbers.

I don't have a single number in front of me. That being said, I realize Atl is a passing offense and Baltimore is seemingly a defensive team. Last year and the year before, Flacco was THROWING in the playoffs. Flacco has no weapons except a running game and still performed better than Ryan who has a pro-bowl supporting cast.
Flacco can handle pressure in the postseason. Without help. Ryan has all the help in the world. Couldn't do anything. Lets not forget Flacco threw all over SF early in the game with no issues at all. Their pass defense isn't the best but it certainly means that Julio and Roddy White should have smoked them all.
Ryan is the opposite of clutch.​

I don't have a single number in front of me. That being said, I realize Atl is a passing offense and Baltimore is seemingly a defensive team. Last year and the year before, Flacco was THROWING in the playoffs. Flacco has no weapons except a running game and still performed better than Ryan who has a pro-bowl supporting cast.

Flacco can handle pressure in the postseason. Without help. Ryan has all the help in the world. Couldn't do anything. Lets not forget Flacco threw all over SF early in the game with no issues at all. Their pass defense isn't the best but it certainly means that Julio and Roddy White should have smoked them all.

Ryan is the opposite of clutch.​

Ryan sure does have a lot of Game winning drives and 4Q comebacks though......in the regular season.

1. Rings matter

It is what it is...
I was going to go with Ryan until I read this, good points Flacco FTW!

Easily Flacco, in my opinion. His team has went to the playoffs every year since he's been under center, has won at least 1 playoff game every year since, been in 3 AFC championship games, won a Super Bowl for his city, and was the MVP in the game. Good, bad, ugly, Joe Cool wins when it counts the most.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom