Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ubuntu

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

Buickman

Super Forum Fanatic
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know that there isn't much difference between them since Ubuntu is Debian-based, but I was very curious about which one you prefer and why. I've got Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) installed on my system now, but I've also been messing around with Lenny in a vm, and the only differences I can see is that Ubuntu is designed to be much easier to use. Am I missing something that sets Debian apart from it?

Where's the 'Other' option? :hihi:

Debian for Server
Ubuntu for Desktop

In both cases I would only use the above for someone who doesn't know Linux.

From my experiences:
Debian has many miles on it. It (Debian) and Slackware are the 2 oldest distros and both are still kickin'!
Ubuntu is proably the best distro around for non-Linux folks. Really, there is no need for anything 'command-line' in 9.04.
Debian supports many different architechtures, where as Ubuntu, just a couple.
I like the 'Package Groups' option in Debian, when installing and it's a text based installer, too!
I find that Ubuntu boots faster, but Debian is more responsive after boot.
Debian used to blow away Ubuntu with the amount of packages but Ubuntu has caught up quite well. Still a bit more to choose from in Debian.
When installing Ubuntu, I find myself spending more time removing and turning things OFF than I do installing it. I have to do some of the same in Debian, too.

I'm sure I will have more to add when I think about it.

/*..................................... and now for the obligitory thread jack*/
My Linux distro of choice (at this moment) .......................................... ARCH Linux! :9: :worthy:

I've been using Ubuntu since Warty but I began with Debian way back in the Hamm days after totally breaking a RedHat install. eaux-yeah is right on target with his assessment. I voted Ubuntu (I think I did at least) because now that I know HOW to build a system from scratch (LFS or Gentoo) and know how to compile my own kernels, I appreciate the ease that Ubuntu offers me.

Also, many of the features I end up disabling are more an issue of the direction of GNOME than anything else.

In my perfect world I would have the knowledge and time to tweak WindowMaker into what I want it to be. Instead I just fiddle with GNOME until I am happy.

Debian's strength is and always will be its social contract and the number of architectures that it runs on. Oh, and one kick *** package management system.

acb_002.jpg

I guess I could've added more to the poll. I have been playing with other builds, but I do still prefer to install from the terminal since I set my system up as an email/samba server. It makes following the howto's on howtoforge much easier.

Suse is one that has pretty much removed any use of the terminal. Even when I tried to install vlc from the command line using yast, it still brought up the yast gui.

Don't care for Fedora. I like yum, but Fedora, whether in a vm or when I install directly to a harddrive, won't save my static network settings and always comes up in dhcp.

Mandriva is like Suse in that there's almost no use for the terminal. I also didn't give much time to it either.

Gentoo's still kicking my butt.

For what I'm doing, Ubuntu is still best for me. Nvidia and compiz are much easier to setup and the howto's make everything else easy.

What do you guys mean by architectures?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom