Decorated Combat Veteran arrested in New York (1 Viewer)

What do you think about a Soldier being arrested for having them in their possession.

I think the fact that he's a decorated vet means jack squat. So were Charles Whitman and Timothy Mcveigh. He is, however, a US citizen and that does mean something.

Once New York gets all these bans in place I say we go take Manhattan.

At first I thought this was just too silly to reply to
then the chris pyle thread happened
Famed Navy SEAL Chris Kyle slain at gun range in N. Texas | khou.com Houston

I'm conflicted about posting this, and I don't offer it as a rebuttal
just felt it was important to keep the conversation going

One really has nothing to do with the other.

I don't understand how one can be arrested for having AR mags (not stolen). I looked on my PMags and I don't see a manufactured date, so I am not sure how it's determined when a mag was made. Also no AR with said mag, and said mags were empty.

Now, on another note. If he gave consent to search his vehicle, then it's a good search.

The said person has been gone for who knows how long and seen who knows what. And instead of letting them get back into a normal civilian life you wanna put em under a microscope? You might as well say If you lose your job you should also be put under a microscope. After all, theres more suicides and people shooting up work places after losing their job then there are returning vets doing it. What about kids who ha e gotten bullied? A kid gets bullied once and now he needs put under a microscope? There the ones shooting up schools after all. When does it end?

It doesnt. Let these people get back to a normal civilian life with how they choose to do so.

I think you're underestimating the number of suicides from former military personnel. I also think that any vet who is displaying ptsd symptoms deserves the very best treatment they can get and that, yes, any combat vet should be debriefed and evaluated for whatever transitional need they may have whether that be job training, marital counseling or psychiatric treatment.

They do not deserve to be tossed back into the wild without care that is documented to be effective and just a hope and prayer that they're ok is not acceptable.

Military suicide rate hit record high in 2012
By Bill Briggs, NBC News contributor
Service members committed suicide during 2012 at a record pace: more than 349 took their own lives across the four branches, or one every 25 hours, a Department of Defense spokesperson confirmed Monday.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/14/16510852-military-suicide-rate-hit-record-high-in-2012?lite

So in Jefferson County NY, you can get pulled over for a random search.... **** the magazines, I would be ****** off about the random pull over. What is this, Nazi ******* Germany.... :jpshakehead:
This is what I find most troubling, a Washington Times article about the incident states that it wasn't a traffic stop.
According to Jefferson County Sheriff’s office sources, Mr. Haddad was in the parking lot of a closed business at 7:30 p.m. when an officer asked him what he was doing. The police allege that the Fort Drum civilian employee said that he was meeting someone to sell the AR-15 style rifle magazines. A police source also said that the magazines were stamped with the words “Restricted. For military use only.”
He obviously didn't think anything was wrong with what he was doing as he volunteered the information to the officer and didn't attempt to hide it.

Decorated Combat Veteran arrested in New York: Charged with 5 felonies for possession AR magazines

Decorated Combat Veteran arrested in New York: Charged with 5 felonies for possession AR magazines

Thoughts?
The ban on magazines with more than 10 rounds was enacted in New York in 1994 if they were manufactured after September 1994. The new law just reduces the mag limit from ten to seven. Seems like he was in violation of the law from the limited information that's available. I also find it insulting that they throw around the word "War Hero" for a guy without mentioning his accomplishments. Especially when I find out he was medically discharged for injuries sustained in training. I'm not saying that he didn't do anything heroic, but no one else mentioned this which makes the link you posted seem like they're building him up to make the situation look worse than it really is.

I think you're underestimating the number of suicides from former military personnel. I also think that any vet who is displaying ptsd symptoms deserves the very best treatment they can get and that, yes, any combat vet should be debriefed and evaluated for whatever transitional need they may have whether that be job training, marital counseling or psychiatric treatment.

They do not deserve to be tossed back into the wild without care that is documented to be effective and just a hope and prayer that they're ok is not acceptable.

Military suicide rate hit record high in 2012
By Bill Briggs, NBC News contributor
Service members committed suicide during 2012 at a record pace: more than 349 took their own lives across the four branches, or one every 25 hours, a Department of Defense spokesperson confirmed Monday.

Military suicide rate hit record high in 2012 - U.S. News

The military is such a touchy subject. After all the criticism in Vietnam many people realized they'd been complete *******s to people who had no choice but to go fight and the cultural pendulum swung to the other extreme, one where everyone is effusive in their praise of soldiers as heroes making ultimate sacrifices and doing what no one else can do, etc.

The problem with that is it isn't reality, either. Just because you're in the military doesn't make you some paragon of morality, justice, sacrifice and strength who is unaffected by what you're doing. PTSD is real. I've known guys who've had it. Guys who were perfectly normal, went to Iraq or Afghanistan and came back completely broken. One guy was someone who would have never laid a hand on a woman before he got shipped out. When he came back he snapped one day and hospitalized his wife with broken bones. Another friend of mine from high school became a marine corps sniper and after being (honorably) discharged is now a hardcore alcoholic with severe anger management issues.

Then we do these people a disservice by saying "Wow, you're such a hero. Thank you for your service." and...that's it. We expect people who have done and seen horrible things to re-integrate into society and just carry on like they did before. And some (maybe even most) eventually find a way to do that. But for a lot of them, they can't.

My grandfather used to say that after World War II ended and he got back to the U.S., as they were walking off the boat someone handed them a donut and said "Thanks for your service, welcome home." That was literally the extent of thanks they got (at the time) for doing nothing less than saving the world. All these years later and not much has changed. The hollow praise is still there, but not much action is.

The military is such a touchy subject. After all the criticism in Vietnam many people realized they'd been complete *******s to people who had no choice but to go fight and the cultural pendulum swung to the other extreme, one where everyone is effusive in their praise of soldiers as heroes making ultimate sacrifices and doing what no one else can do, etc.

The problem with that is it isn't reality, either. Just because you're in the military doesn't make you some paragon of morality, justice, sacrifice and strength who is unaffected by what you're doing. PTSD is real. I've known guys who've had it. Guys who were perfectly normal, went to Iraq or Afghanistan and came back completely broken. One guy was someone who would have never laid a hand on a woman before he got shipped out. When he came back he snapped one day and hospitalized his wife with broken bones. Another friend of mine from high school became a marine corps sniper and after being (honorably) discharged is now a hardcore alcoholic with severe anger management issues.

Then we do these people a disservice by saying "Wow, you're such a hero. Thank you for your service." and...that's it. We expect people who have done and seen horrible things to re-integrate into society and just carry on like they did before. And some (maybe even most) eventually find a way to do that. But for a lot of them, they can't.

My grandfather used to say that after World War II ended and he got back to the U.S., as they were walking off the boat someone handed them a donut and said "Thanks for your service, welcome home." That was literally the extent of thanks they got (at the time) for doing nothing less than saving the world. All these years later and not much has changed. The hollow praise is still there, but not much action is.

good post

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom