Deep breath, relax (1 Viewer)

snake pliskin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I know this is a disconcerting day, losing guys and not having any action on our part to immediately fill holes. However, this free agency is different than any in recent memory. Good veteran players are getting whacked left and right, flooding the market, making it a buyers market -- hence Will Smith and Vilma wisely cutting deals to stay with Saints. There will be some nice bargains on good players to be had. Not flush with cap space, the Saints have no choice but to let the shark feeding frenzy go on without them the first few days. When the dust settles there will be some nice bargains to be had, and in the long run, help us manage our cap down the road. As tough as it is right now, lets have some patience and see how this whole thing plays out. Come July, we might be fairly pleased with what has transpired. It's a long process.

It seems to me that we will do what we have done on defense for years. Keep inept players (Vilma, Smith, Harper, Robinson, Jenkins) and watch other teams improve their weaknesses. I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft s TE or a guard in the first round, and a wideout or RB in the third.

Do you see teams like the Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Packers, Giants, scrambling to find answers in the FA market? No.
And those (you can put the Saints in that group) are the most successful franchises today.

But I really wanted to make a "Y HAVENT WE SIGNED ANYONE YET??????!!!!!!!111!!oneone1!" thread.

:(

I'm not really worried about us not signing anyone today, but I feel Will Smith should have been gone. If he is a starter next season I am going to be ****** he is on this team. Hicks needs to be the starter at the RDE position.

I know this is a disconcerting day, losing guys and not having any action on our part to immediately fill holes. However, this free agency is different than any in recent memory. Good veteran players are getting whacked left and right, flooding the market, making it a buyers market -- hence Will Smith and Vilma wisely cutting deals to stay with Saints. There will be some nice bargains on good players to be had. Not flush with cap space, the Saints have no choice but to let the shark feeding frenzy go on without them the first few days. When the dust settles there will be some nice bargains to be had, and in the long run, help us manage our cap down the road. As tough as it is right now, lets have some patience and see how this whole thing plays out. Come July, we might be fairly pleased with what has transpired. It's a long process.
They'd have more cap space if they'd have bucked up and rid themselves of Vilma and Smith. I don't expect the Saints to blow it up on the first day as that's not their style, but come on.

Do you see teams like the Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Packers, Giants, scrambling to find answers in the FA market? No.
And those (you can put the Saints in that group) are the most successful franchises today.
No, but for the most part, I do see those teams as willing to part with their own players who aren't worth what they count against the cap. Unlike the Saints.

It seems to me that we will do what we have done on defense for years. Keep inept players (Vilma, Smith, Harper, Robinson, Jenkins) and watch other teams improve their weaknesses. I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft s TE or a guard in the first round, and a wideout or RB in the third.

What are yall talking about since 2009
13-3 blitz heavy def man2man
11-5 blitz heavy def man2man
13-3 blitz heavy def man2man
7-9 rush 4??? zone???? No head coach????
It's not the players
We have been dominating are biggest weakness last year was coaching, and scheme. We will not be be the NFC pro bowl team and the nfl is a business not a sport so they are doing a decent job of a good product

No, but for the most part, I do see those teams as willing to part with their own players who aren't worth what they count against the cap. Unlike the Saints.

Let's discuss this after we learn the cap figures... would you rather have dead money on the team or a veteran player that can rotate in? (I don't believe for one second that Smith will play 90% of the time... Vilma might still have something left IMO).

Let's discuss this after we learn the cap figures... would you rather have dead money on the team or a veteran player that can rotate in? (I don't believe for one second that Smith will play 90% of the time... Vilma might still have something left IMO).
Either way, there'll be some cap charge against the Saints. They're almost certain to cost more on the team, so to answer your question, I'd rather be rid of them. I love those guys, but the time has come. Saints management refuses to think like that.

Hard to relax when we're overpaying and keeping our aging and declining players, and our below average players (Smith, Vilma, Harper, etc.) while having no cap room to make improvements on D as well as losing our above average LT to the Bears.

Next year won't be any better with Graham coming up on his contract year and definitely going to deserve a big payday. With this situation, he won't be getting it from us next year and he'll be shredding our defense on another team.

I think some are losing the fact that If the would have cut Vilma and Smith they would still have counted as seven million against the cap.

I think some are losing the fact that If the would have cut Vilma and Smith they would still have counted as seven million against the cap.
I completely understand this fact, but they're still going to count at least that much by keeping them. And if they don't, that means that hit has been pushed to future years, and that's the worst thing to do. Ensuring more pain the future to keep around players who aren't even very good right now.

Precisely. Well said and nice analysis.

:potd:

DITTO, I was thinking the same thing my self, wow look at these big names changing teams, I know we will be fine down the road. but i realllly wish we had the money to get James Harrison,dame good player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom