Saints Deep passes by Brees (1 Viewer)

Richard

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sticky Post
No one denies that Brees has been throwing deep less frequently over the last couple of years. I assume that it is by design due to lessening arm strength and I believe it is also partially due to some irritation to his throwing shoulder. I hesitate to call it an injury, but I do think Brees experienced some discomfort on balls he had to rip deep.

That said, PFF rates him in the bottom third of deep ball passers in spite of having a passer rating above 117 on those throws and the fourth best completion percentage. If I am correct and Brees had an irritation in 2019 that could be improved due to rest and treatment, it is possible that we could see Brees throw deep more often in 2020.

msusaintsfan

All-Pro & Resident Ninja
Reaction score
Diamondhead, MS via Houston, Tx, via Starkville, M
Well another thing we haven't had is receivers beating their man and getting open other than Thomas. Im not even talking going deep. Ginn did it some but not consistently.

We haven't really had a consistent deep threat since Brandon Cooks, Meachem, or Henderson.

Yes, Drew is getting older and it is natural to decline, but the WRs weren't really helping a lot.

Reaction score
There were several throws he made in the Colts and Niners game that reminded me of 2009-2011 Brees.

I thought overall his arm looked better at the end of 2019 than it did at the end of 2018.

One of the big differences I see with ball speed is those 20-30 yard throws. Guys like Mahommes and Rodgers early on could throw it so fast that the receiver has time to catch it and make a few moves before contact.

Guys like Prescott, Winston, Wilson, Josh Allen etc can make that throw and give the receiver time to catch and make 1 move.

With Brees, it is a contested catch.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

cant

Rookie
Reaction score
Drew is about to light the league up this year. O-line improved and we added E Sanders? Deep ball or 8 yard outs doesn’t matter, he’s throwing for 4000 & 40.

The dude was so dominant, if he hadn’t got hurt he probably would’ve added ANOTHER mvp runner up to his resume lol

Meachemdat

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
All of this is true, but only 3 teams in the league were able to stop our offense last season and that's because they were able to generate interior pressure.

There has been a big focus on getting that O-line as stacked as possible.
If our #1st rounder works out, we should easily have one of the best o-line's in the league.

Another thing is, hopefully Kamara is nice and healthy and hopefully we go back to a more balanced run attack that we had when Ingram was here.
Murray was fully capable of caring the load as the workhorse, but we forced Kamara and it had less than desirable results.

gtaz21

Groundskeeper
Reaction score
What's being missed here is the fact that the offense's best player is not a deep threat. With cantguardmike getting an extreme amount of the targets, AK also getting heavy targets , and the lack of a consistent #2, I could see why the numbers dont appear explosive.
What's the point of having an explosive deep player if the QB can't get him the ball deep and the defense knows it?

gtaz21

Groundskeeper
Reaction score
All of this is true, but only 3 teams in the league were able to stop our offense last season and that's because they were able to generate interior pressure.

There has been a big focus on getting that O-line as stacked as possible.
If our #1st rounder works out, we should easily have one of the best o-line's in the league.

Another thing is, hopefully Kamara is nice and healthy and hopefully we go back to a more balanced run attack that we had when Ingram was here.
Murray was fully capable of caring the load as the workhorse, but we forced Kamara and it had less than desirable results.
We were rated as the best O-line in the NFL last year. The O-line is not the reason Brees can't throw deep anymore.

Meachemdat

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
We were rated as the best O-line in the NFL last year. The O-line is not the reason Brees can't throw deep anymore.
I didn't say they were the reason.

What I said, was that there wasn't a team in the league that could stop our offense, except for the 3 teams that were able to put Peat, McCoy and Warford on their backs.

BlueChimay

Rookie
Reaction score
Drew does not need to turn into Mahomes.He only needs to be able to throw enough successful deep balls to keep opposing defenses honest. Consistently throwing below 30 yards will make our offense too predictable.

Reaction score
I think a lot of it is how defenses play the Saints. Early on as Saints, Payton and Brees were very aggressive with deep throws forcing defenses to cover the entire field. Defenses evolved to take away the deep pass and force Brees to throw shorter passes. It's smart theory as the effect of a big play offensively is a key indicator for the best scoring offenses. Shorter passes reduces the amount of territory a defenses has to defend and offenses get impatient, leading to an advantage for the defense.

Evolution is necessary for continued success. The Saints have simply evolved beyond the aggressive, downfield offense to a patient, precise offense that better utilizes running backs. They still throw downfield, but not beat as often. Brees' armstrength has certainly declined, but not enough that it's worth discussing as a definite affect on the offense. People point to specific wobbly passes when arguing otherwise, but Brees has always been prone to a wobbly downfield pass. There's honestly nothing worth discussing.
Agree 100%

los226

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I have a crazy idea that may just help with lack of arm strength...

How about the Saints play a more ball control offense while leaning on the defense as we did when Bridgewater was the starter? It would keep Brees fresh and puts less plays on film, which would seem like an advantage when they actually do have to air it out.

It feels like the game plan is always to air it out and lean on the running game only when we have a big lead. Like if one of the main goals is chasing records.

Reaction score
I have a crazy idea that may just help with lack of arm strength...

How about the Saints play a more ball control offense while leaning on the defense as we did when Bridgewater was the starter? It would keep Brees fresh and puts less plays on film, which would seem like an advantage when they actually do have to air it out.

It feels like the game plan is always to air it out and lean on the running game only when we have a big lead. Like if one of the main goals is chasing records.
Honestly that is part of the game plan. BUT...I think everyone will see a much more shared QB by committee unit for the bulk of the first part of the year to both give Taysom experience and keep Brees fresh for the playoffs

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dan put this in the Saints tweet thread but I think it makes this thread relevant again

He opened the offseason with that goal and began working on it in March. The atypical offseason and lack of access to workout equipment led him to unique training methods, such as playing lacrosse, but he got where he needed to be and eventually started ripping passes deep down the field.

kewee

I exist as I am, that is enough
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
:9: if Drew can heave it 60 yds during the season, look out.

When he sets his mind on something, nothing can stop him. I look for him to have one of his most prolific seasons this year if he stays healthy.

NOLAJM504

-McNucca-
Reaction score
I wish there were some kind of exercise that would allow Drew the best chance at getting the deep ball back to where it was just 3-4 years ago. I distinctly remember Drew throwing the deep back accurately as recently as the Panthers Wild card game in 2017. That wasn't that long ago, so the hope is that whatever happened between now and then can somehow be worked at as much as possible to mitigate the naturally occurring loss in ability and strength, specifically with the deep ball. For almost every other kind of throw, Drew has figured out a way around the issue.

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dan put this in the Saints tweet thread but I think it makes this thread relevant again

I just finished reading the article cited above. It is a very good read. Underhill's site is a paysite. Here are a couple of excerpts:

Drew Brees wanted to throw a pass 60 yards.

He opened the offseason with that goal and began working on it in March. The atypical offseason and lack of access to workout equipment led him to unique training methods, such as playing lacrosse, but he got where he needed to be and eventually started ripping passes deep down the field.
“We’ve applied a lot of different techniques and a lot of different training methods,” Brees said. “There have been some moments of discovery with us this offseason. COVID presented a great challenge, obviously, because we couldn’t go to our normal places and do our normal things, and so we had to adapt with what we were doing from a training perspective.”
The whole article is excellent.

Here is some footage of Drew trying deep balls at a high school field in the San Diego area.

The last throw in the video was a 55 yarder right on target.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saints QB Drew Brees may be 41, but his downfield numbers are 'still strong,' Sean Payton says Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How Saints' Drew Brees got creative to make his 41-year-old arm feel 'live' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus 2020 NFL Preview: Saints are back but a lot depends on Drew Brees, on and off the field SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Transcript: Drew Brees training conference call - Saturday, August 1 SR News Page Articles 0
Walker: Drew Brees, driven by Super Bowl quest, faces toughest challenge yet in 20th NFL season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees displays leadership, candor, understanding in latest comments Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints' Drew Brees says reaction to US flag comments was 'crushing' SR News Page Articles 0
ktmoze Brees back to chase 2nd Super Bowl for Saints Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Andrus Drew Brees: 'I have not licked my fingers in about four months' SR News Page Articles 0
Saintsphere Drew Brees does his first interview since the backlash Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 5
Saints' team 'in good shape' after Drew Brees reconciles with teammates after protest comments Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees: Reaction to flag comment was 'crushing' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Drew Brees Press Conference: "This Year's going to be about something greater than Football" Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 5
As camp nears, Drew Brees says the impact of his anthem comments ‘completely broke my heart' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees sidesteps whether 2020 will be his last season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How Saints QB Drew Brees used unusual sports this offseason to help him throw a 60-yard pass Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Buy a cool Drew Brees t-shirt to support a good cause Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Nightshade Drew Brees training himself to not lick fingers Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Drew Brees training himself to not lick fingers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints Fans Are Loving Drew Brees’ Latest Practice Video SR News Page Articles 0
Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees ready to duel in Week 3 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints QB Brees donates $5m to help build healthcare centres in Louisiana SR News Page Articles 0
Brees foundation donating another $5 million Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees foundation pledges $5 million to Ochsner Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees, wife Brittany, to donate $5M to build healthcare centers in Louisiana Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees makes $5 million donation for local healthcare Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette New Orleans Saints training camp preview: Drew Brees SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Video Film Study: Has Drew Brees lost a step? New Orleans Saints Breakdown Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8