Saints Deep passes by Brees (1 Viewer)

I wish there were some kind of exercise that would allow Drew the best chance at getting the deep ball back to where it was just 3-4 years ago. I distinctly remember Drew throwing the deep back accurately as recently as the Panthers Wild card game in 2017. That wasn't that long ago, so the hope is that whatever happened between now and then can somehow be worked at as much as possible to mitigate the naturally occurring loss in ability and strength, specifically with the deep ball. For almost every other kind of throw, Drew has figured out a way around the issue.

Dan put this in the Saints tweet thread but I think it makes this thread relevant again

I just finished reading the article cited above. It is a very good read. Underhill's site is a paysite. Here are a couple of excerpts:

Drew Brees wanted to throw a pass 60 yards.

He opened the offseason with that goal and began working on it in March. The atypical offseason and lack of access to workout equipment led him to unique training methods, such as playing lacrosse, but he got where he needed to be and eventually started ripping passes deep down the field.

“We’ve applied a lot of different techniques and a lot of different training methods,” Brees said. “There have been some moments of discovery with us this offseason. COVID presented a great challenge, obviously, because we couldn’t go to our normal places and do our normal things, and so we had to adapt with what we were doing from a training perspective.”

The whole article is excellent.

Here is some footage of Drew trying deep balls at a high school field in the San Diego area.

The last throw in the video was a 55 yarder right on target.

I believe that the weaker the arm, the smaller the window of opportunity, timewise, exists to throw a deep ball. Explanation follows.

If an inside rusher is collapsing the pocket and affects a QB's ability to step into a throw or affects their downfield vision, the QB may have to slide left or right and the time lost doing that could make the receiver too far downfield for a weaker-armed QB to reach him. Just a theory. YMMV

There’s no secrets... Brees doesn’t have the ability to uncork it. It effects the offense. I’m impressed by Payton’s ability to change our offense since about 2016 to taylor to what we can do well. I will always love Brees. Favorite QB ever. Will keep his jerseys forever. But I’d look forward when he retires a saint to see a new face at QB who can bomb it with a flick of a wrist

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom