Deeply Respect Troy Aikman for Critically Calling out the NFL on Current Officiating! (1 Viewer)

And I’m willing to bet Cam Jordan still won’t get a call
it aggravates me EVERY game watching jordan. hes held at a minimum of half his pass rushing stats. you can see it from the TV. you cant tell me the refs dont see it. he'd have 5-6 more sacks this year, and probably the last few years, if he wasn't held so much.

curious to see how many times the OL in front of him as been called for holding during his career. i'd bet, since 2011, its less than 5.

That "illegal" block they called on JAX on a run play was ridiculous. It's a scrum inside on a run play. That is never, ever called and he barely touched his back anyway.

Maybe its to promote a Bears defense against the Rams.

Guilty as charged.

Every game I look at my wife and tell her the NFL is laughing at me because they know I'll keep coming back for more.
This is the truth.

It's the root of the NFL's arrogance.

They KNOW the role of sport in any society back to the days of Rome. They know they can serve up pretty much anything they want and you will in the end relent and keep watching their product. Even if you don't go to the games and buy the exorbitantly priced tickets, you still watch, which allows them to show ratings, count eyeballs and show engagement stats on their web properties, which lets them sell advertising.

They are pretty sure they will win no matter what despite the short term blips like the anthem protests or dips in ratings as they tinker with the watch-ability of the game.

The only thing that will get them in the longer term is competition from soccer or other leagues but the NFL if if taken down a peg will still be quite lucrative and have leverage over it's co-dependent fan base.

And I'm right there with it all. I definitely watch significantly less and no longer go to sports bars. Some of that is age and phase of life with marriage and kids. But in the end I still watch the Saints, still spend time here and still check the scores, while simultaneously being disgusted with Goodell and derisive of the way they run the league, officiate, play with the rules etc.

Goodell laughs all the way to the bank.

I don't have a problem with flags...I have a problem with flags being thrown inconsistently.

One is enforcing the rules, the other is influencing the outcome of a game. Considering the amount of money tied up in the game (above and below the table), a reality where officials have the opportunity to nudge games one way or the other is FAR more detrimental to the game than slowing a game down by penalizing players for legitimate infractions.

That said, I think there are too many rules on the books, the bar for being guilty of those infractions are set way too low (see flag for touching a QBs helmet) and there is too much subjectivity with calling the game, given the technology that is available today.

it's almost like they purposely create the gray space, and preserve the subjectivity of officiating in said gray space.

Something tells me that the NFL has had some analysts tell them that controversy over officials has a net positive impact on revenue driving up to certain point. The NFL thrives on a certain amount of controversy and outrage.

Something tells me that the NFL has had some analysts tell them that controversy over officials has a net positive impact on revenue driving up to certain point. The NFL thrives on a certain amount of controversy and outrage.

absolutely.

Its why the NFLN created Good Morning Football.

ITs why Stephen A shows up in Dallas in a #9 Jersey w/ a cowboy hat.

Things I've learned from this thread

1. Prepare for a holding call to cost us a game.
2. Prepare for our D to be held regularly with no calls
Seriously? You are just now learning this? Welcome to New Orleans, the city with the smallest television market in the Not Fair League - er, NFL.

/sarcasm

And I’m willing to bet Cam Jordan still won’t get a call
Did you notice the one holding call that Cam got was eerily reminiscent of the missed call in the Pats/Saints game where the lineman had Gillette in the chicken-wing, just like the guy had Cam.

The NFL is sanctioning Aikman to berate the officiating?

That's totally ludicrous.
it's not so crazy, when you realize that it's all about the story. The more people talk about it, the more interest is generated. That translates directly to revenue.

Goodell has to make sure he's earning that $44 MILLION/year...

Does the nfl care about bad officiating if fans stay tuned regardless?
Just something else for the daytime shows to talk about
And as long as people talk about it, they’ll tune in
I hate what you said guido - but what you said makes so much sense it scares me. That was a brilliant insight. Thx
I'll add in it has the benefit of taking kneeling protests off the air.

Where was he when the referees incessant flags were benefiting Dallas against our boys last week? I got no respect for him whatsoever sorry. As a QB great as an analyst he’s some of the worst guys to listen too for me atleast.

Thursday Night Football is a train wreck. Full Stop.

I don't even watch unless the Saints are involved.

I check here for commentary on how bad it was.

That's the truth. I saw that Jacksonville/ Tennessee was on but the issue was that it was probably halftime before I thought of it. I wouldn't have watched in any event but games like this should not be played on a national basis. Flex it away and maybe someone willbe watch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom