Deeply Respect Troy Aikman for Critically Calling out the NFL on Current Officiating! (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
I've heard him do it some this year, even last week. But tonight he was on a crusade. He was clearly disgusted with the trends in NFL officiating and what it is doing to the game of pro football.

Pierria (sp?) said the the officials have been told by the front office to call holding on the O-line more for the remainder of the year. While still keeping himself professional, he railed against that position of the NFL and the amount of flags being thrown every game. He was clearly disgusted on increasing abundance of flags and ticky tack calls by the officials. I'll betcha his producer was screaming in his earset to calm down.

Somebody in a big enough national position is finally calling down the NFL for this insanity. I deeply respect him for doing this and hope other announcers follow suit. Does the NFL have any say on his announcing career?

If Aikman is doing it, it’s probably already sanctioned by the league
If you’re watching the TNF game between these two teams, you aren’t leaving the nfl and they let aikman throw you a bone (not ‘you’ specifically swimmer)

If Aikman is doing it, it’s probably already sanctioned by the league
If you’re watching the TNF game between these two teams, you aren’t leaving the nfl and they let aikman throw you a bone (not ‘you’ specifically swimmer)
The NFL is sanctioning Aikman to berate the officiating?

That's totally ludicrous.

For better or worse, you decide for yourselves. For me this game is nothing like what I grew up watching.

And yes, I understand it’s about lawsuit protection, where it all started to change.
They care. Yeah, that’s it.

Thursday Night Football is a train wreck. Full Stop.

I don't even watch unless the Saints are involved.

I check here for commentary on how bad it was.

Does the nfl care about bad officiating if fans stay tuned regardless?
Just something else for the daytime shows to talk about
And as long as people talk about it, they’ll tune in

I hate what you said guido - but what you said makes so much sense it scares me. That was a brilliant insight. Thx

Last edited:
Does the nfl care about bad officiating if fans stay tuned regardless?
Just something else for the daytime shows to talk about
And as long as people talk about it, they’ll tune in

I agree if the NFL wanted to fix it they would. It should be worth noting Aikman is the one that had a hissy about Michael Thomas cell phone, but loved Zek jumping in the Apple.

I agree if the NFL wanted to fix it they would. It should be worth noting Aikman is the one that had a hissy about Michael Thomas cell phone, but loved Zek jumping in the Apple.

While I think he's a better announcer than a lot out there, he's still a Cowboys homer through and through. It's not surprising he'd say that about the Saints/Cowboys celebrations. Human nature. I'm ok with it tbh. We can't expect announcers to not give up their loyalty while in the booth. Romo has been pretty decent in the booth as well.

As for the officiating. I think Aikman's comments make it pretty clear that not just the fans are noticing the terrible officiating. And that the league is basically telling officials how to run a game. I really think there has to be some rule that prohibits the league from giving guidance like what was being described tonight. The officials should have more autonomy, unless there's a serious issue like when an official got fired earlier this season.

The league has a policy to get feedback from 32 teams and their coaches, this occurs after each game. If one or more teams are identified as being negligent or deceitful in their practices, then the refs are told to emphasize the rules they will be extra vigilant to call. I imagine each team is told what infractions to be careful of before each game.

In this year where offenses seem to have so much advantage over the defense, calling offensive holding more rigorously will peeve 32 offensive line coaches but make 32 defensive line coaches ecstatic.

He's a damn hypocrite. He's called Saints games this year and many times commented on the same thing every one is watching but saying something like "Look at the block by...x" when we can all see it's a hold.

If you're going to call them out, call them all out.

As for the officiating. I think Aikman's comments make it pretty clear that not just the fans are noticing the terrible officiating. And that the league is basically telling officials how to run a game. I really think there has to be some rule that prohibits the league from giving guidance like what was being described tonight. The officials should have more autonomy, unless there's a serious issue like when an official got fired earlier this season.

Just Perfect ^

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom