Deeply Respect Troy Aikman for Critically Calling out the NFL on Current Officiating! (2 Viewers)

Things I've learned from this thread

1. Prepare for a holding call to cost us a game.
2. Prepare for our D to be held regularly with no calls

Have you seen the rule related to offensive holding? Go look at the NFL Rule Book, Rule 12, Section 1, Article 3(c).

If the refs want to call it, they can justifiably call it. If the refs don't want to call it, they justifiably don't have to.

Oh, they'll call more holding, but some of the holding calls last night were utterly ridiculous as in, they weren't holding. Yet, Cam Jordan can be absolutely mugged on the edge and no flag will ever be thrown. I was shocked when the refs did it last week.

Yea I am not a fan of Aikman and Buck because i feel like any time they call a game outside the NFC EAST they dont know they players meaning they didnt do their homework.. With that said he was right to call out the NFL last night. this "bigger emphasis this week" officiating is really killing the product on the field and puts officials in positions to look dumb. Something has to change and making the officials employees has made it worse it feels like.

Both the officiating and the announcing continue to hot new lows. It's a shame that the athletes are more and more superb, the coaches more ingenious while the ancillary aspects decline.
If the NFL wants to improve the officiating, they should start by putting their money where their mouth is and call and prioritize dangerous penalties. Quit worrying about whether David Onyemata's socks are pulled up or whether someone jumps into a Salvation Army can. Worry instead about hits designed to concuss or players rolling up on opponents' legs.

Oh, they'll call more holding, but some of the holding calls last night were utterly ridiculous as in, they weren't holding. Yet, Cam Jordan can be absolutely mugged on the edge and no flag will ever be thrown. I was shocked when the refs did it last week.
When you talk about games being "rigged" or "controlled", this is how you do it.

Even if it's not an outright rigging by the league office, there is a lot to leave to the human beings that are the refs, with their own personal interests and biases that can influence how they call a game for a particular team or coach they may or may not like.

The bias is likely a factor in the wildly inconsistent officiating, including obvious calls that are NOT made.

I'm fine if they are going to call one of the thousands of obvious holding calls that they constantly fail to call but there was a holding call I happen to catch last night during the little bit I watched called against Jacksonville where I didn't even see anything close to a hold, I honestly didn't even see much of a block to be honest. They will call that but Cam Jordan can get choke holded every single time and never get a flag.

Watched 5 mts of last nights game. Two LF runs called back for holding. The one on Flowers was phantom. TA went off. He was right. I turned the tv off.

I'm sure soon AI will be used to make calls on the field. The refs will be there to intervene in scuffles, throw flags that are backed up by AI, and to review questionable flags from AI such as when players are flagged for holding when they were just shaking hands. :shrug:

For better or worse, you decide for yourselves. For me this game is nothing like what I grew up watching.

And yes, I understand it’s about lawsuit protection, where it all started to change.
They care. Yeah, that’s it.

I've spent the past two offseasons watching old games on YT to cure my football jones. Also aids my desire to see a sport that was officiated not from the league office but from the old zebras on the field and, before the late '80s, by only their own human judgement sans technology. I chuckle whenever I see a member of the old Dome Patrol make a tackle that would draw a penalty flag now :)

Pierria (sp?) said the the officials have been told by the front office to call holding on the O-line more for the remainder of the year.

If fully true, it may be in reaction to owner/GM/Coach complaints of inconsistent OL holding calls, forcing them to call holding more strictly.

Not taking up for the NFL, just saying that unless we hear Pereira's statement in full context, we don't know why they're emphasizing holding.

It's so easy to fix the rules, make people watch and still make the game safe.

There should be penalties to preserve players safety and penalties against blatant unsportsmanlike - like tackling the receivers during their routes, OL hugging DL man, thins like this - everything else should be allowed.

The only two ways to make the rules fair are to call almost everything a penalty or to call almost nothing. It's clear the better option is the later since if they call everything a penalty the game becomes unwatchable.

Does the nfl care about bad officiating if fans stay tuned regardless?
Just something else for the daytime shows to talk about
And as long as people talk about it, they’ll tune in

Guilty as charged.

Every game I look at my wife and tell her the NFL is laughing at me because they know I'll keep coming back for more.

I don't watch TNF if the Saints aren't playing. It's a bad product, and I like to avoid buying bad products.

Edit: but I agree the officiating is terrible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom