'Deepwater Horizon' film to star Mark Wahlberg, Kate Hudson, Kurt Russell and John Malkovich (1 Viewer)

Every preview i have seen has focused on the family at home and the quest to get home to the loved ones...boring, been there done that. More interested in a documentary story of what happened instead of yet another uplifting story of hope and love conquering all.

It isn't really that. There's the introductory bit at the beginning where we get to know him and his family, and there's the line near the end about getting home to see his family again. But in reality, you've seen most of the "family-driven" bits that are in the movie in the trailers. It's much more of a telling of what happened on the rig.

Now, I'm not an expert in that night by any stretch, so I don't know what was accurate and what wasn't. Going into very, very mild spoilers, I do know that one element they put in to build tension towards the accident - they showed pressure/oil bubbling up around the well under water - didn't happen. But I understand why they included that for dramatic purposes. And I'm no apologist for BP by ANY metric, but if there was a villain in the story, it was the BP company men. They were just short of twirling mustaches in their quest to save a dime. The little I've read indicates that Wahlberg's real-life counterpart wasn't much like he's portrayed in the movie ("one of the first scrambling to get off the rig" was pretty close to the phrasing used), but that he was the one that sold the story to Hollywood, so he got to control the narrative, basically. But that stuff aside, it was an enjoyable movie with good performances all around. It's always good to see Kurt Russell doing good work, and in a surprising blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo, Trace Adkins shows up near the end with a great 30 second part. I'd recommend checking it out.

(On a personal side note, it always felt odd and slightly exploitative seeing trailers for Deepwater Horizon in Louisiana, but I understood that the story needed to be told. I was really put off, though, by the trailer for the next Wahlberg/Peter Berg collaboration, Patriot's Day, about the Boston Marathon bombing. I'm not in charge of their careers, but it feels a little off-color that they do two movies in a row about American tragedies.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom