Defending Who Dat?: A letter to Roger Goodell (1 Viewer)

KardiacKat

Very Banned
Reaction score
Dear Mr. Goodell,

Good morning. I'd like to begin first by saying that I have admired your work as Commissioner of the NFL, particularly in the area of player conduct. I believe you have been fair and reasonable, and appropriately tough when necessary. It is part of making sure the NFL is a quality product, and I thank you for that.

Now, on to business. It has come to my attention that the NFL is cracking down on local retailers and small businesses who print materials containing the phrase "Who Dat?" While I am a Browns fan (don't feel sorry for me), this is concerning as I have a great many Saints fan friends. I also believe the approach to this issue has the potential to affect many teams. I am a great fan of dialects and accents, and you may not be aware of the many colorful dialects of Louisiana and the New Orleans area. They proudly claim a variety of "yat" accents. Why "yat?" Because that's how they talk. Who Dat, Where y'at, Balee Dat...this is all common colloquial usage. Determining who first used the phrase, why they did, and when it became associated with the Saints would be a difficult task indeed. Already I'm sure you have seen and read much heated debate on the topic.

I find it ironic that only after more than 40 years of suffering, and on the eve of their first Super Bowl appearance, that the NFL has suddenly decided to claim ownership of a phrase that has been used locally by Saints fans for so many years. In fact, I don't even associate the phase with the team itself. I associate it with the fans themselves. I fondly refer to all my friends wearing black and gold as "my Who Dats." And in terms of economic morality, I find it more troubling that the NFL would rather hurt local businesses who have been championing the Saints for these many long years, through good times and bad. You see, I can spend $12 on a t-shirt that says Who Dat and be a walking billboard for the Saints--and therefore the entire NFL--while also supporting a local business. Or I can spend $30 on a t-shirt from the NFL Shop that says Who Dat and benefit only the NFL. The cost of being an NFL fan is ridiculous already. By the time you add up travel expenses, food, and tickets for a family of four to attend an NFL game, you may be bumping up on $1,000 in some areas. And you wonder why Jacksonville can't sell out its stadium?

And where does it end? Will the NFL claim ownership of the "Woof! Woof! Woof!" chanted by Browns fans? When Vikings fans shout "Skol!" will they be required to pay a license fee to the NFL? Will the cheeses for sale in Green Bay now have to carry an official NFL logo? Enough is enough. It is practices such as these that give the NFL the reputation as the "No Fun League."

I understand that the NFL is a business and must watch the bottom line, but I urge you to reconsider. Pay your expensive lawyers (who I'm sure can afford the PSLs and seasons tickets that most of the rest of us cannot) to fight more important battles, rather than attacking fans and businesses who have been giving you free advertising for decades.

Sincerely,
Dawn M.

Brilliant post!

I hope the bandwagon axles are strong enough to bear the weight now that the NFL front office has jumped on!!!

I say we go viral with this letter.

E-Mail it to your friends, talk shows, networks, ESPN, NFL and anyone else you can think of!!!

This is ridiculous and a feeble attempt to cash in on the Saints success.

Great stuff Dawn. You already know this - but you're a genuine WHO DAT no matter who your favorite team actually is. :)

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. In fact, I think it is a duty for every Who Dat out there to voice our concerns on the subject. Everyone should be sending him a respectable thought provoking letter.

This is well written and conveys the thoughts of us "Who Dats."

It's a complete joke than only now that we're in the Super Bowl and our merchandise sales reached the top 10 in the league that they care. :scratch:

I am very upset by the nfl right now. My brother (who is a graphic designer) just spent a month designing shirts for fans like us, and he carefully avoided any NFL or Saints copywriting. Great letter by the way! I am going to write my own and hope many of you do as well. I suggest a shorter version of the letter as well, so that if the "screeners" pass over long letters they at least see the shorter ones. NFL, you should be ashamed of this....it's pathetic!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom