Defense actually ahead of the Offense? (1 Viewer)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Man I know it's Preseason but I'm very impressed with the Defense. I remember a year ago around this time the Saints played the Steelers in the Preseason in the Dome and I couldn't remember how many times I shook my head around seeing the Defense get shredded by Pittsburgh time after time again and I said this Defense is not improved. Now I know there are a few different players but I truly believe the biggest difference is the coaching along with the improvement at the Linebacker position. I commend Sean Payton for getting rid of the old position coaches who had to go and replacing with guys who actually are teaching and reaching these players. You can really see the difference to where I'll say if they continue on this trend I can easily see at least a middle of the pack defense. With that being said the offense seems a little rusty but that has been the case the last few Preseasons. Over the long run I'm not too worried about it. I'm just glad that we may finally have a Defense that can pick up the slack if the Offense is sputtering. WHO DAT!!!!!!!!!!!

I love how they're sprinting to the ball and TACKLING! Only saw a few broken tackles towards the end but the guys are hitting and wrapping up instead of that horrid arm tackling. If they can keep this momentum and fire up throughout the season we will go far. Keep the opposing team to 14 or less and we will smoke them!

Look....It is still preseason and I said it before that a win is important to get this young team going after going winless for the past few season. But you also have to be encouraged at the way they are winning the games. The team is winning with good sound defense. You can see it from the starters all the way to the third stringers.

As far as your topic is concern, I am not going that far to say they are ahead. You can look at the battles they had in training camp. Pretty much evens out. Offensively, we haven't had all the offensive line playing together. First time Brees and the other two running backs play in a preseason games. There are going to be some rust. Although they didn't do what they normally do on offense, I am glad they had a chance to play some. They are just getting their feet wet.

The truly exciting thing for me was at one point in the first half we had at least 3 rookies (Williams, Lattimore, Anzalone) & and 4 two year (PJ Williams -due to him losing last season, Bell, Rankins & Onyemata) starters playing on the defense. That is a youth movement that you can build on

When you think about that 09 defense/team and you look at the staff it was very talented. Allen went on to be a HC. Doug Marrone went on to be a HC, Gregg Williams was a former HC and Curtis Johnson went on to be a HC at the college level.

Now in 2017 you've got Allen , Aaron Glenn, Mike Nolan, Curtis Johnson All former HC or Players. Heck the dline is playing well which suggest Ryan Nielsen may also be a find. It's again a really talented bunch and probably the best staff SP has assembled since getting raided after the SB season

To single out the D it's probably the most talented and deepest it's been in years. Credit Ireland in aiding with finding talent in all 3 of the last drafts.

Are they ahead of the offense, nah just more depth. The offense once SP actuallly schemes will be its usual lethal self. We've not even seen a peek of how SP is really going to use Kamara. We just know he's a good runner on top of it. Kelenente and Ram need to get health because we lack depth. The sooner Armstead comes back the better. Regardless the D looks fast and talented and well coached. They really understand the scheme. Awareness seems better across the board too.

Allen is a very good play caller.

We'll be good this year, how good is yet to be determined

When you think about that 09 defense/team and you look at the staff it was very talented. Allen went on to be a HC. Doug Marrone went on to be a HC, Gregg Williams was a former HC and Curtis Johnson went on to be a HC at the college level.

Now in 2017 you've got Allen , Aaron Glenn, Mike Nolan, Curtis Johnson All former HC or Players. Heck the dline is playing well which suggest Ryan Nielsen may also be a find. It's again a really talented bunch and probably the best staff SP has assembled since getting raided after the SB season

To single out the D it's probably the most talented and deepest it's been in years. Credit Ireland in aiding with finding talent in all 3 of the last drafts.

Are they ahead of the offense, nah just more depth. The offense once SP actuallly schemes will be its usual lethal self. We've not even seen a peek of how SP is really going to use Kamara. We just know he's a good runner on top of it. Kelenente and Ram need to get health because we lack depth. The sooner Armstead comes back the better. Regardless the D looks fast and talented and well coached. They really understand the scheme. Awareness seems better across the board too.

amen brother

One thing I've noticed a lot is that on those short passes, our defense very quickly forces the receiver to run horizontally. They don't really let them cut upfield. We aren't seeing little dump off passes turn into 30-yard gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The defense is not ahead of the defense, but they are looking better in preseason. Remember, that was our offensive backfield's first action of the season. They're not in the groove. But our offensive depth is playing much better. Like EJW said, our offensive line is lacking depth right now and it shows.

I do think our defense could dominate and win some games for us this year. In other words, our defense is finally ready to do it's part.

Aaron Glenn, Mike Nolan, and Ryan Nielsen have changed this team. I saw two things tonight I haven't seen in a long time while the Saints where on defense. It happened on two distinct plays and I hope it happens more and more. Pressure with only the front four and the QB has all day but there is no where to go with the ball.

Bolded, and looks obvious to me as well.

Just now rewatching the game after being out for the evening. (Thank you, DVR). I'm impressed by the way the defense is tackling and how the cover men are covering. The missed picks on D all seemed to be a case of Williams expecting the play to just "come to him", which is a typical rookie mistake, and Te'o jumped the wrong way. And Tommylee Lewis continues to saw some serious wood out there. I like what I see :mwink:

Offense is prowling in the high grass, ready to pounce.

There has never been and never will be any worries over a Sean Payton-Drew Brees O. And someone told me Adrian Peterson is in black and gold. I didn't believe them.

Right this moment, the player that I'm most hyped about is Rankins. He's turning into a full out beast. He makes this defense better when he's in.

The offensive line is struggling because three of the top six offensive linemen are not playing due to injuries. Hopefully, two of the three will be back against Minnesona, though Ramczyk needs some preseason game time. And our receivers overall are very average.

If we stay healthy, this will be the best defense since 2009, and the 2009 defense was not as deep as the defense today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom