Defense - and the Future (1 Viewer)

ASaintFerLife

A Shining light of Truth
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
So, now that our defense really helped us win that game with 2 late forced fumbles, do we really only get better for here seeing that we get injured players back after the Bye Week??

It is very possible we can field a healthy Rankins, Breaux, and a healed Ellerbe. THAT could very well be dangerous and the shot in the arm we need for a much better 2nd half of the season.

Ohh and start Vonn Bell he and Vacarro might be a sweet combo!

Cant wait to meet the Panthers who just got totally whipped!!

football

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I thought the defense played well the second half. They made like 3 stops early on. Offense just sputtered those opportunities to get more points. They couldn't sustain drives. I really hated the play calling on those drives. They did give up a touchdown in the second half but they were solid on that drive. First half was a different story.

Da Living Saint

Drew Brees!
Reaction score
I have no interest in ever seeing Ellerbe suit up in B&G again. Maybe, MAYBE, if he signed a vet minimum contract.

I want Mauti/Stupar at SAM, Anthony at MIKE, and Robertson at WILL.

JackT.

was Jake from State Farm
Reaction score
it was a tale of two halves. passive, not wanting to put our young secondary in a bad situation. But what was great was that he changed in the second half. He wasn't afraid to bring pressure. great win by the team. closes complete game by the Saints by far.

JvilleJoe

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
These guys impressed me in the sense that the defense did not give up when it appeared to most that we were going to sustain yet another loss this year. That was a huge positive recognizing that at this point we are sorely deficient in defensive playmakers. We just have to recognize that week to week we are going to see nail biters, but the turnovers and our first interception was encouraging.

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If he isn't you will have to fire a couple of people. He has talent, he produced when called on, and now he is on the bench. Stupid moves made by stupid people.
You guys are dead on trying to convince people Anthony was "producing" last year.

On a defense starving for talent he's so talented he's being benched. Either he isn't as talented as people think of want to believe or we have a not so talented coaching staff

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I thought the defense played well the second half. They made like 3 stops early on. Offense just sputtered those opportunities to get more points. They couldn't sustain drives. I really hated the play calling on those drives. They did give up a touchdown in the second half but they were solid on that drive. First half was a different story.
That stall in the offense, abandoning the run, some low percentage passes called that resulted in turnovers...we've seen it many times when they suddenly get away from what was working, which was Ingram and Lasco. Did Lasco even play in the 2nd half?

I could feel it coming when we got that first stop and we were down by three. Just needed a patient and methodical drive that kept the play action alive and they came out throwing.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
That stall in the offense, abandoning the run, some low percentage passes called that resulted in turnovers...we've seen it many times when they suddenly get away from what was working, which was Ingram and Lasco. Did Lasco even play in the 2nd half?

I could feel it coming when we got that first stop and we were down by three. Just needed a patient and methodical drive that kept the play action alive and they came out throwing.
Brees overthrew a wide open Thomas by 10 yards on that last INT.

That's not playcalling. That's Brees clearly being hurt IMO.

Filaphill

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

Yeah, I thought Brees was hurt also because every pass after that int was off. When the camera zoomed at Brees on the sideline he clapped his hands and looked as if he was dealing with some pain. I just hope it's not career threatening.

meily

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with the defense is the injuries to key contributer, impact players like Breaux, Rankins, Ellerbe, Kikaha, Swann and PJ. I think Allen is doing a good job coaching these players and the scheme he has out together works and it's evident but if you take away those players and have to rely on UDFA DB's in Crawley and street free agents Moore and Webb you have to expect some inconsistencies in performance.

El Caliente

Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
You guys are dead on trying to convince people Anthony was "producing" last year.

On a defense starving for talent he's so talented he's being benched. Either he isn't as talented as people think of want to believe or we have a not so talented coaching staff
I'm not one of those guys trying to convince anyone that Anthony was producing. Look at the numbers, no need for convincing.

I believe we are messing with his growth, and if we don't bring him in he is going to move on and produce for someone who does know how to use him.

I didn't know who Anthony was before last seasons draft, so I would have been fine had we drafted someone else. I just think its pathetic that the guy is only in his second year in and we are contemplating writing him off. Why couldn't we have drafted someone else? Maybe we viewed him as a luxury pick, or boom or bust, and in that isn't something you do in the first round, especially when we are as bad as we are.

El Caliente

Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
The problem with the defense is the injuries to key contributer, impact players like Breaux, Rankins, Ellerbe, Kikaha, Swann and PJ. I think Allen is doing a good job coaching these players and the scheme he has out together works and it's evident but if you take away those players and have to rely on UDFA DB's in Crawley and street free agents Moore and Webb you have to expect some inconsistencies in performance.
Agreed.

If prior to the Oakland game you had told me we were going to depend on Crawley, Moore, Webb, Kruger, and Harris as much as we were, I would have said the defense would be even worse than it is. Seeing that we are bad (but fighting) I have a lot of hope, and I can't get down on this defense for playing the cards they were handed.

The great thing is these guys will be competing for starting jobs when the other guys return, and if they don't keep their starting jobs, they will be great depth.

FootballLady

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

You have to understand, blackadder has to find some reason to complain about Payton, even in victory.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WilliamBrees Our defense isn't better than the Bucs Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Interview with the Enemy: Drew Brees could find success attacking middle of Packers defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How the Saints’ running offense fares against the Packers’ running defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints Offense vs. Packers Defense Preview SR News Page Articles 0
Mississippi Saints Fan Our defense Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Andrus Demario Davis Talks Saints Defense, Week 3 prep | Saints vs. Packers Week 3 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Sumdude34 This defense lives and dies by its Slot/Nickle defenders Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Andrus Saints Defense vs. Packers Offense Preview SR News Page Articles 0
No teamwork on defense Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10
This Defense Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
NFL Teams are 294-3947 all-time when allowing 34 or more points, Look no further then the Defense Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
Saint Kamara Saints defense prevents 100 yard rusher yet again Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 29
Dan in Lafayette C.J. Gardner-Johnson on Raiders Offense, Saints Run Defense | Saints at Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Kamara Is this the best combined Saints defense/special teams/kicking units of all time? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Cincy Saint Film breakdown - Saints defense takes away the middle from Brady and the Bucs Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Mississippi Saints Fan So excited about the defense this year. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 26
Payton encouraged by Ruiz progress, Saints run defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Film Study: Saints defense faces tough test in Josh Jacobs Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints Defense at Raiders Offense Preview SR News Page Articles 0
Film Study: How Saints rushing offense lines up vs. Raiders rushing defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints keeping it (under) 100... Everything you need to know about the defense's 44-game streak Saints RSS News Feeds 1
That Mississippi State QB today. Does he have a future in the NFL? Discuss! Collegiate Sports Board 47
Saints to have 750 family members in the Superdome this week as test for future fans Saints RSS News Feeds 0