Defense - and the Future (2 Viewers)

ASaintFerLife

A Shining light of Truth
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
So, now that our defense really helped us win that game with 2 late forced fumbles, do we really only get better for here seeing that we get injured players back after the Bye Week??

It is very possible we can field a healthy Rankins, Breaux, and a healed Ellerbe. THAT could very well be dangerous and the shot in the arm we need for a much better 2nd half of the season.

Ohh and start Vonn Bell he and Vacarro might be a sweet combo!

Cant wait to meet the Panthers who just got totally whipped!!

I thought the defense played well the second half. They made like 3 stops early on. Offense just sputtered those opportunities to get more points. They couldn't sustain drives. I really hated the play calling on those drives. They did give up a touchdown in the second half but they were solid on that drive. First half was a different story.

I have no interest in ever seeing Ellerbe suit up in B&G again. Maybe, MAYBE, if he signed a vet minimum contract.

I want Mauti/Stupar at SAM, Anthony at MIKE, and Robertson at WILL.

it was a tale of two halves. passive, not wanting to put our young secondary in a bad situation. But what was great was that he changed in the second half. He wasn't afraid to bring pressure. great win by the team. closes complete game by the Saints by far.

These guys impressed me in the sense that the defense did not give up when it appeared to most that we were going to sustain yet another loss this year. That was a huge positive recognizing that at this point we are sorely deficient in defensive playmakers. We just have to recognize that week to week we are going to see nail biters, but the turnovers and our first interception was encouraging.

If he isn't you will have to fire a couple of people. He has talent, he produced when called on, and now he is on the bench. Stupid moves made by stupid people.

You guys are dead on trying to convince people Anthony was "producing" last year.

On a defense starving for talent he's so talented he's being benched. Either he isn't as talented as people think of want to believe or we have a not so talented coaching staff

I thought the defense played well the second half. They made like 3 stops early on. Offense just sputtered those opportunities to get more points. They couldn't sustain drives. I really hated the play calling on those drives. They did give up a touchdown in the second half but they were solid on that drive. First half was a different story.
That stall in the offense, abandoning the run, some low percentage passes called that resulted in turnovers...we've seen it many times when they suddenly get away from what was working, which was Ingram and Lasco. Did Lasco even play in the 2nd half?

I could feel it coming when we got that first stop and we were down by three. Just needed a patient and methodical drive that kept the play action alive and they came out throwing.

That stall in the offense, abandoning the run, some low percentage passes called that resulted in turnovers...we've seen it many times when they suddenly get away from what was working, which was Ingram and Lasco. Did Lasco even play in the 2nd half?

I could feel it coming when we got that first stop and we were down by three. Just needed a patient and methodical drive that kept the play action alive and they came out throwing.

Brees overthrew a wide open Thomas by 10 yards on that last INT.

That's not playcalling. That's Brees clearly being hurt IMO.

Brees overthrew a wide open Thomas by 10 yards on that last INT.

That's not playcalling. That's Brees clearly being hurt IMO.

Yeah, I thought Brees was hurt also because every pass after that int was off. When the camera zoomed at Brees on the sideline he clapped his hands and looked as if he was dealing with some pain. I just hope it's not career threatening.

The problem with the defense is the injuries to key contributer, impact players like Breaux, Rankins, Ellerbe, Kikaha, Swann and PJ. I think Allen is doing a good job coaching these players and the scheme he has out together works and it's evident but if you take away those players and have to rely on UDFA DB's in Crawley and street free agents Moore and Webb you have to expect some inconsistencies in performance.

You guys are dead on trying to convince people Anthony was "producing" last year.

On a defense starving for talent he's so talented he's being benched. Either he isn't as talented as people think of want to believe or we have a not so talented coaching staff

I'm not one of those guys trying to convince anyone that Anthony was producing. Look at the numbers, no need for convincing.

I believe we are messing with his growth, and if we don't bring him in he is going to move on and produce for someone who does know how to use him.

I didn't know who Anthony was before last seasons draft, so I would have been fine had we drafted someone else. I just think its pathetic that the guy is only in his second year in and we are contemplating writing him off. Why couldn't we have drafted someone else? Maybe we viewed him as a luxury pick, or boom or bust, and in that isn't something you do in the first round, especially when we are as bad as we are.

The problem with the defense is the injuries to key contributer, impact players like Breaux, Rankins, Ellerbe, Kikaha, Swann and PJ. I think Allen is doing a good job coaching these players and the scheme he has out together works and it's evident but if you take away those players and have to rely on UDFA DB's in Crawley and street free agents Moore and Webb you have to expect some inconsistencies in performance.

Agreed.

If prior to the Oakland game you had told me we were going to depend on Crawley, Moore, Webb, Kruger, and Harris as much as we were, I would have said the defense would be even worse than it is. Seeing that we are bad (but fighting) I have a lot of hope, and I can't get down on this defense for playing the cards they were handed.

The great thing is these guys will be competing for starting jobs when the other guys return, and if they don't keep their starting jobs, they will be great depth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom