Defense: Gregg Williams or Personnel? (1 Viewer)

I say it's both scheme and personel. Whatever it is, we've moved from 21st to 12th in total defense. After tonight this team should be 10th.

I think its a fine partnership. I give the percentage edge to Williams for setting the direction and the tone. Someone has to be in control.

50/50.

Williams is putting the players in a position to succeed and also changed their mentality from a pillow fight to hard hitting ball hawks.

The players are going out and executing like hard hitting ball hawks.

I am tickled about our D so far this year. If you had to put a percentage to it, how much is due to scheme/attitude vs new players? 80% Williams? 20% players (Sharper,Greer, Hargrove, whoever)? Vice versa? Who is responsible for this (so far) super turn around?

I don't really care either way, long as we keep smashing them. Just wondered what the general consensus is.

I don't think it's a fair assessment to put a percentage on it.

Last season, with the personal we had and injuries we suffered, i'm not sure how much better Greg Williams would have had the defense playing. Maybe 1 or 2 more games better? Maybe we squeeze into the playoffs? But it still would have been a bad defense and put ultimately too much pressure on the offense.

But by the same token, Gibbs with the current personal we have would have probably only met 2006 defensive expectations. Again, probably good enough to get us into the playoffs but not the expectations the defense is currently generating for us.

The 2006 defense was a very average defense made "pretty good" by a great offense. This is a defense that has every appearance of being "good" on it's own merits, which is pretty much exceeding my expectations of just wanting "good enough".

So it's a perfect marriage of both new and the right sort of talent with a coach capable of maximizing them. The two items are very much feeding off each other and you can't really seperate them.

This is a completely different defense with the defensive line injuries and lack of depth we had last year and a secondary of Bullocks, David, no Porter (who got injured), Greer, or Sharper, etc.

We've always stopped the run well. The FAs in the secondary are paying immediate dividends. We are more healthy, especially w/ the DEs. We are playing good ball. Dont care about %s, just wins & losses.

75 percent of it is Greg Williams and the attached change in defensive mentality. The new players : Greer, Sharper, Jenkins and Hargrove are good players fitting into roles of a defense that is now properly predicated on forcing turnovers and pressuring the passer to correlate with having a dominant offensive passing came on the other side of the team. When you have a lead you can pressure the passer. Drew Brees can get a lead. I give more credit on the player's side to eliminating the horrendous secondary players who have left the team, Bullocks, David and KK rather than the great play of Greer or Sharper. Without the change in mentality most of the contributions of the new guys would be for naught.

its not just the players we brought in, we werent getting much production out of the players we had prior but as GW has proven we have the talent he just has them in a system that better utilizes that talent.. if i had to put it in percentages i'd say 60-40 GW

partially.. what SP and Drew have established down here went into that equation for most of them also

Agreed. We can'y overlook the positive impact that the O has on the Ds ablity to take risk and be agressive. So call it a 40%-40%-20% with the 20% going to the high powered O.
IMO
mb

Regardless of wether it's the players, the motivation, or the scheme, it all came from gg. Without gg, there's no telling which players we would have, and how well they would be playing. So gg is the main link in the chain. That's why he is the DC, because he knows how to make all that happen.

The players BELIEVE in GW, and GW BELIEVES in them. His reputation alone, IMHO, is what makes all of the players "step their game up". Besides, in training camp they got to practice against the MOST PROLIFIC offense, to EVER wear the Black & Gold!!!
NOW, we see WHY they won some/many of the battles against our Offense.

You have to hope it's 50/50 or sooner or later you will have a situation where either your coordinator gets outsmarted or your players get exposed.

What Williams is doing is putting guys in the right position to succeed... but the players are executing very well. I think people always talk about Williams' scheme but Buffalo was the only game where he really dialed up some creativity. The biggest change has been the philosophical change of having his players play loose and aggressive. So to me it's 50/50, but it's still too early to tell.

I believe Rex Ryan and Greg Williams are doing the same thing with their defenses . Buddy Ryan is their teacher and he had the same effect on defenses .

I am going to go 40/40/20....
With 20% going to our Punter and our ability to get better field position as whole.

It is easier to play defense when you dont turn the ball over at mid-field.

We aren't lacking talent on the D, that's for sure.

I'm surprised we are playing well but not in the sense that I thought it was impossible. Williams is showing plenty of looks Gibbs never even thought of. So coaching is going a long way. Overall though the players are executing and are pretty good themselves.

It's both and neither is the catalyst if you get what I'm saying. Williams needs these players to be successful as much as we needed Williams.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom