Defense leaving a big cushion against the Steelers. I hope that stops when the regular season starts. (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
5-10 yard cushion with our Dbs and our Linebackers sitting far back than I would like them. Felt like it was watching a prevent defense of keeping it infront of us. Steelers dink and dunked us to death because of it in the 1st quarter.

Which is why I wouldn't be too concerned. Steelers have a quick passing offense so you have to disrupt the receivers at the line to throw off the timing. If you don't you get eaten alive. We made no adjustments. No scheme. The offensive line is the most troublesome part of the team.

I officially believe that that is what Payton wants us to run. Every DC we've had does that. Every single one. Even some that were known for wanting our corners up close.

I think Payton would rather we give up the 7 yard pass than the 70 one. Eye discipline should mean we break on those throws sooner.

If it's what Payton wants, he's an idiot. Even bad and rookie QBs can complete passes against that and it keeps his precious offense off the field by controlling balls for long drives. It also keeps young corners from developing their coverage skills.

Which is why I wouldn't be too concerned. Steelers have a quick passing offense so you have to disrupt the receivers at the line to throw off the timing. If you don't you get eaten alive. We made no adjustments. No scheme. The offensive line is the most troublesome part of the team.

how can this not be a concern? everyone complains about getting pressure on the QB but if they can do short routes and dump it off then even if you get pressure on the QB he has an out. Last year this was happening and we had the worst d in the league. HOW CAN it not be a concern.

I know one thing for sure. Dennis Allen got some great film from a great offense other than ours running full speed last night.

If he can't use that film as a tool and learn lessons from it then it won't matter who we have on defense...They'll get shredded.

Blessing in disguise I hope

perhaps we are running a "rope-a-dope" style defense untill the real games begin....then, ka-POW !!! .....or so I'd like to believe :ezbill:

The staff said the D would be vanilla all pre season.
That's exactly what I'm seeing. Dennis allen
Doesn't want to tip his hand with scheme and stunts.
It was in an article a little while back.

Their receivers all run like 4.4s.

You can't just play press man against receivers like that without blitzing. They'll blow by you. Since it was preseason, we barely blitzed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom