defense reality check? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I think the Saints new D is very much better than the old, but I'm also thinking that they're not as dominant as they looked in that Buffalo game. Look how much trouble Brees had. Look at how the wind blew the football off the tee when Morestead was setting up for a kickoff. Both quarterbacks were throwing very conservatively to avoid wind driven interception, which must have given both defenses a boost. Brees uncharacteristically missed a bomb to Devery and Edwards overthrough TO that once.

This week will likely provide the most honest test of our D yet. On a good note, Brees won't be hampered by weather either so if we can't hold them to 7 points like the Bills, at least Brees should be able to put up much better numbers (especially if they force us to by getting ahead).

the wind didnt have anything to do with us practically shutting down there running game. he had over 150 yrds game before and over a hundred the game before that
good defense in my eyes. top 5 no.....top 10 i think so

Our D dominated in all facets of the game... not just the passing game. We forced turnovers, and put tons of pressure on the QB, forcing him to throw early and inaccurately. The wind wasn't as much of a factor as the pressure was (and the same can be said about Drew... they had good pressure on him all game). I DO think that the Jets O-line will test our D-line more.

This week will likely provide the most honest test of our D yet.

Yep, i will be a good test. I hope our defense has all the sloppy tackling out of them. They drove me crazy with all the missed tackles in the 1st quarter of the Bills game.

no

our D dominated the line of scrimmage ... it didnt have anything to do with the wind ...

maybe in that pass to TO, long pass, or that pass from brees to Meachem ... but ... the rest man ...

if you post **** like this again and I will shoot this dog
Stop-Shoot_the_Dog.jpg

It's my lot in life... I can only manage to create negative threads apparently :)

I'm not saying it was all wind, I'm just saying that the wind made both QBs play just a little more conservatively. Of course they were also both pressured and our run D has been (statistically) the best part of our D (that and the interceptions, but most of those were delivered by a rookie and an inexperienced guy).

I'm just saying... I don't feel entitled to a lights out performance by the defense every week. Not yet anyway. As long as they stay good against the run, don't commit stupid mistakes and get a turnover now and then, that's all we should need and I'll be happy. If we start shutting teams out like this every few weeks... well then I'll be ecstatic.

Gotta love how the wind pushed Saints defenders into Trent Edwards 14 times. I love wind. Even my own.

...speak of the devil.

Last edited:
People just can't enjoy the fact that our team is doing good. I bet if we win the superbowl this same crap will still be going around.

I don't think the defense will regularly shut down teams like that, and I don't think they will need to 95% of the time.

I do think that we can expect them to make plays and get off the field. I feel reasonably sure that we'll have a very good rushing defense, and we'll probably also give up some big plays in the passing game. They just need to be opportunistic and aggressive, not the speed bumps we've fielded the last few seasons, and this team will go far.

if you post **** like this again and I will shoot this dog
"Oh, lo'dy, lo'd, he's desp'it! Do what he sayyyy, do what he sayyyy!"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom