Defense?? (1 Viewer)

- While our starting defense did play... Allen called a very vanilla game. Hardly any blitzes and no mixing of coverages. Its preseason game 4. Don't want to put anything on film for our opponents to see. However that doesn't excuse the crappy tackling. We missed a ton of tackles.

Yeah, and that vanilla defense dominated the Ravens in the first quarter. 5 rushing yards, 2.5 avg, no scoring drives. Yeah, we didn't look as hot when the backups came in, but we still held them to one offensive touchdown the whole game. I'll take that after the last two years’ defensive disaster.

I now return y'all to your regularly scheduled sobfest, already in progress.

Allen called a very vanilla game. Hardly any blitzes and no mixing of coverages. Its preseason game 4. Don't want to put anything on film for our opponents to see.

Allen is going against the team that fired him, I think he's going to give them his best shot. Hoping he makes it a good one.

It's the totality of the work in 4 games and what preceded it last year.

It's all so listless, inconsistent. Looks bad.

Worst pre-season I have seen. Worst saints OL I've ever seen.

1st team defense stopped the Patriots #1 offense, Texans #1 offense and Baltimore tonight. They struggled with the Steelers who happen to have likely the best offense in the league.

I love how we always want to blame the defense. They didn't give up a TD till late in the game
This offense is terrible and has zero rhythm. I hope it changes by next week but I doubt it

It's the totality of the work in 4 games and what preceded it last year.

It's all so listless, inconsistent. Looks bad.

Worst pre-season I have seen. Worst saints OL I've ever seen.

You're completely glossing over some solid play by the starting defense in each of the 4 games. It wasn't phenomenal. But there were definitely so n e good things by the starters.

I hope our starters can play this zone defense a lot better than the reserves did. And I hope we use a lot less zone in coverage. It's annoying see our zone guy sitting on an island with a wide open receiver right in front of him. Receiver catches ball for 5 yard gain and then tackled. This zone coverage scares me. I don't think we are fast enough or talented enough to run it properly.

From what I saw the defense looked ok during most of the game but kept giving up short passes and missing tackles. Our entire backup oline is horrible tho I'm sorry to say. Those guys couldn't block fly from getting to the qb.

And a lot of them wont be on the roster next week. what's your point?

The point is that just a few teams have made the playoffs, and zero to the Super Bowl, after losing all pre-season games. If one watches you will see the same lack of pass rush, the same lack of turnovers, the same poor blocking, and the same passive attitude this pre-season as last regular season, the season before that, etc. It is frustrating. Byrd is a shell of a safety anymore. At corner we have one decent player and a bunch of maybes. At LB we are slow and mediocre. The DL gets zero push and is generally a non-factor. The o-line is abysmal, at wideout we have good players that will be minimized by a lack of blocking, and at RB we would be good if there was an ounce of push there. Fleener shows promise but is historically hot/cold and Brees is great. That is the truth of this team whether we want to acknowledge it or not.

I don't think this defense cares about pre-season. They do need to cut down the preseason.

There are going to be changes in defensive personnel and offensive personnel from last years team. Some who were here last year and longer will be cut as they should. That is how it is supposed to work in making a team better. If better players come in and perform better than you, then you are supposed to be cut. Forget loyalty at that point. You are working to build a better team.

I think Payton will keep Tull on the roster. Tull is technically a rookie since he missed last year with that shoulder problem. Payton kicks himself in the nads daily for releasing Ninko, and while Tull hasn't shown much as of yet the kid has talent. He DOMINATED in college... and no he didn't compete in a power conference but the kid was unblockable.

The kid has potential... he just needs some reps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom