Defense (1 Viewer)

Innotech

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Literally Brees entire career here the defense has been unreliable. I know they wont ever be perfect but it seems like save for a couple of years Brees and the offense has always been leaned on heavily to win the game. Defense has never been shutdown or even able to stop the long pass. I feel like they have been a liability no matter who the DC is or the scheme or the caliber of players. They have just NEVER put it together in the Payton era. It never seems like other defenses struggle to the level that ours do and Im tired of watching opponents sail long tds over our heads year after year. Why cant they figure it out?

A good defensive coordinator would have the defense playing much better.

The current problem is Dennis Allen is a mediocre defensive coordinator that got the job after a string of awful defensive coordinators. Payton is content with allowing a mediocre DC to blunder critical game situations because he’s afraid making a change will cause him to end up with another awful DC that will blunder every game situation.

That play on third down on their last drive right before the missed field was all on Dennis Allen. Lattimore has perfect coverage and Mike Williams made a great play, but that’s not a position the DC should be putting his team in on that situation.

Payton is an offensive minded coach and the Saints have to go into games planning to score 30 points to win.

I don't think Dennis Allen has done a bad job. The players have been in positions to make plays. If you're a CB you can't always expect Safety help over the top.

Payton is an offensive minded coach and the Saints have to go into games planning to score 30 points to win.

I don't think Dennis Allen has done a bad job. The players have been in positions to make plays. If you're a CB you can't always expect Safety help over the top.

Exactly, this is what I don't get about people hating on Allen. He's the DC, not a cornerback coach. He's putting these guys in positions to succeed, but a lot of the time it's just they are missing assignments and not executing. Also there's those penalties which were cleaned up this game thank god. These guys talk like you can always rely on 2-high safeties on every play to pick up your slack, not realistic.

But that play? Come on, the other team has pros too and you have to give it up to them. You can't stop everything all the time. It was a perfect throw, and a supreme effort on the catch. Give it up to that team, they can get chunk plays and have been doing it all season against good teams.

A good defensive coordinator would have the defense playing much better.

The current problem is Dennis Allen is a mediocre defensive coordinator that got the job after a string of awful defensive coordinators. Payton is content with allowing a mediocre DC to blunder critical game situations because he’s afraid making a change will cause him to end up with another awful DC that will blunder every game situation.
The issue the first part of every year DA has been here is that he complicates the hell out of the defensive schemes. He always seems to simplify it after the first quarter of the season and they play better. We’ll see if that happens this year. Marcus Williams is becoming a more and more obvious problem.

Speaking of defense... That Chargers defense is impressive! They have major injuries throughout that unit, and they’re still very stout. If that defense was healthy and complete, they would be among the very best in the entire league.
Take what we saw last night, and really the entire season, and add Melvin Ingram, Chris Harris Jr, Derwin James, and some of the other pieces that are banged up, and that’s a straight-up SCARY defense.

I was also impressed with Kenneth Murray. The announcers last night compared him to a “faster” Demario Davis, and that’s high praise... he looks like budding star.

Last edited:
I've never seen a fan base before so willing to crucify the teams defense in order to cover for the offensive slumps we've seen and shield all criticism of the quarterback.

We had zero offensive production the entire first half of this game despite amazing field position. One trip to the Red Zone. God awful third-down conversion ratio. Drew threw a HORRIBLE pick that the Chargers offense converted to points. Guys...wake up. This offense right now isn't sustainable!!

Yet I come here and it's NOTHING but people torching the defense and saying the most insane crap like we should cut Lattimore or fire DA bla bla bla. Reading these posts you would think we had the Cowboys, Jets, or Atlanta's defense or something.

Could the defense be better? Sure, not saying they couldn't be. Better is always good. But why is there almost no honest evaluation of how our offense is performing? And please don't say "But...Thomas". Sanders last night showed he's just as able to catch bunches of short passes from Drew Brees.

I've never seen a fan base before so willing to crucify the teams defense in order to cover for the offensive slumps we've seen and shield all criticism of the quarterback.

I love Drew Brees as a player, and I always will, but at this point in his career, he has the weakest arm of any starting QB in the NFL. His passes have ZERO zip... and it limits the offense. He’s crazy smart and still has most of his unmatched accuracy, but the slow motion passes are undeniable.

Getting back a healthy Michael Thomas with no doubt help... the quick slant and physical style and exceptional hands (and the trust he has from Brees) will be a boost, but it’s not going to “fix” the offense.

Post the stats and state and re-state how many points the Saints offense averages per game, etc... etc... but if you’ve been watching the games, you have to see it.

I don’t know if there’s any scheme that stops Mike Williams from Moss’ing everyone on our defense on that play. Unless Marcus Williams remembers he’s got a 43” vertical and takes a great route to the ball.

Whatever is going on, DA and Glenn need to get on the same page.
The secondary is lost and we are back to not knowing what to do pre-snap. Can't tell you how many times
the secondary was trying to communicate with each other pre-snap with no idea what to do.

That shouldn't happen with this much talent and experience on the backend. No excuse for them to be playing this bad.

Thank the lord we have a bye week to work on this stuff.

Literally Brees entire career here the defense has been unreliable. I know they wont ever be perfect but it seems like save for a couple of years Brees and the offense has always been leaned on heavily to win the game. Defense has never been shutdown or even able to stop the long pass. I feel like they have been a liability no matter who the DC is or the scheme or the caliber of players. They have just NEVER put it together in the Payton era. It never seems like other defenses struggle to the level that ours do and Im tired of watching opponents sail long tds over our heads year after year. Why cant they figure it out?
in the end when you look back this is the reason why Payton got only one Super Bowl with an all time talent at QB.

Defense has been the downfall. In the years they were just good enough they had flaws like unable to close or tendency to give up big play.

GWs super bowl defense was very average in giving up yards but when needed could get to the QB and also get turnovers, or just a stop...

Last edited:

We had zero offensive production the entire first half of this game despite amazing field position. One trip to the Red Zone. God awful third-down conversion ratio. Drew threw a HORRIBLE pick that the Chargers offense converted to points. Guys...wake up. This offense right now isn't sustainable!!

Yet I come here and it's NOTHING but people torching the defense and saying the most insane crap like we should cut Lattimore or fire DA bla bla bla. Reading these posts you would think we had the Cowboys, Jets, or Atlanta's defense or something.

Could the defense be better? Sure, not saying they couldn't be. Better is always good. But why is there almost no honest evaluation of how our offense is performing? And please don't say "But...Thomas". Sanders last night showed he's just as able to catch bunches of short passes from Drew Brees.

The Saints offense is ranked 6th in scoring.
The Saints defense is ranked 26th in scoring.

Both sides of the ball can make improvements, but it’s obvious which part of the team is the engine, and which part is the anchor of this boat.

The Saints offense is ranked 6th in scoring.
The Saints defense is ranked 26th in scoring.

Both sides of the ball can make improvements, but it’s obvious which part of the team is the boat, and which part is the anchor.

Yes if only you could boil down football into such a simple equation. Well...you can't.

We've also had to play offensive powerhouses like the Chargers, Packers and the Raiders (who ARE for real now, confirmed) which of course is going to slant that statistic on defense.

Crucify?

Which team/staff owns the record for like the three worst defenses in the history of the game, all time?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom