Defenseless to dominant - Sporting News (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Defenseless to dominant: Broncos, Jets, 49ers, Saints get tough

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/art...-dominant-broncos-jets-49ers-saints-get-tough

Saints (ninth this season, 23rd in '08)

What's new: New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams helped make their unit more aggressive and more disciplined. Safety Darren Sharper is a master at baiting quarterbacks into interceptions, and cornerback Jabari Greer, signed as a free agent, has helped solidify coverage.

Why it's working: With their potent offense, the Saints do not have to be great defensively, just good. And the Saints are hardly lacking defensive talent with players like defensive ends Will Smith and Charles Grant and linebacker Jonathan Vilma. Williams has made the pieces work better together.

We better enjoy our "dominance" while we can. The NFL is full of smart coaches
that will be hiring Buddy Ryan and other aggressive defense disciples.

He brought up the rookie QB thing up again.......I guess we'll finally get to prove ourselves with a win over the Giants....You can only play who you're scheduled against....

I agree with the gist of your statement, especially that no strategy or approach stays dominant or emergent for long, but I do find it interesting with so much emphasis on offense including changing rules to benefit offense that strong defense can still be a big difference maker in the NFL.

This is why we have coaches too. To change things up once they see other teams catching on to our current methods of butt whuppin.

Ain't skeert.

I am hopeful that our defense will get even BETTER as the players get more comfortable with Gregg Williams defensive schemes and GW learns what players are best for different roles in his schemes.

If Gregg Williams wants rings, he'd be well served to stay in N.O. for another four-five years. In that time, he'd have the chance to install players at every position who suit his style of defense while enjoying the offensive prowess of Brees & Co.

I'm sure he'd like another HC gig sometime, but there's hay to be made right here, right now.

Bobby Hebert called them DOMEINATORS....DOME/DOMINTATE/TERMINATE? I don't know if I like the nickname....but other than some leakage in the third and fourth quarters against the run and OLB pass coverage at times....I am very happy with this defense.

He brought up the rookie QB thing up again.......I guess we'll finally get to prove ourselves with a win over the Giants....You can only play who you're scheduled against....

That won't work either. You see, Eli's foot is hurt, so....(place excuse here).

Bobby Hebert called them DOMEINATORS....DOME/DOMINTATE/TERMINATE? I don't know if I like the nickname....but other than some leakage in the third and fourth quarters against the run and OLB pass coverage at times....I am very happy with this defense.

Prevent defense is not "leakage"

Consider that a couple hundreds yards at the least were given due to a heavy lead in the first couple games. That would easily put our defense in the top 1-3. We also have a number of picks as a result. You can have one or the other, not both. Personally, I prefer the picks, but it doesn't mean our defense is not top 3 simply because yardage is the standard.

Now onto what really gets to me and I'm not an NFL coach, so maybe there's a good reason, but why the hell do coaches (including GW) go prevent when you've been raping a team defensively all game??? I could see if you've been 50/50 on D or lucky, but when you've shut them down and you go prevent... I'll never get that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom