Defensive Depth Chart (2 Viewers)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
DE: Cam Jordan, Marcus Davenport, Trey Hendrickson, Noah Spence, Karl Granderson, Mario Edwards Jr
DT: Sheldon Rankins, David Onyemata, Malcolm Brown, Shy Tuttle, Taylor Stallworth
Will LB: Demario Davis, Craig Robertson
Mike LB: Alex Anzalone, Kiko Alonso
Sam LB: Zach Baun, Kadin Ellis, Chase Hansen
CB: Marshon Lattimore, Janoris Jenkins, Deatrick Nichols, PJ Williams
Slot CB: Chauncy Gardner Johnson, Patrick Robinson
FS: Marcus Williams, Saquon Hampton
SS: Malcolm Jenkins, DJ Swearinger, Chauncy Gardner Johnson

This is a pretty deep roster on defense. Still, there are a lot of unknowns on how things will play out. Interesting, non-the-less.

DE: Cam Jordan, Marcus Davenport, Trey Hendrickson, Noah Spence, Karl Granderson, Mario Edwards Jr
DT: Sheldon Rankins, David Onyemata, Malcolm Brown, Shy Tuttle, Taylor Stallworth
Will LB: Demario Davis, Craig Robertson
Mike LB: Alex Anzalone, Kiko Alonso
Sam LB: Zach Baun, Kadin Ellis, Chase Hansen
CB: Marshon Lattimore, Janoris Jenkins, Deatrick Nichols, PJ Williams
Slot CB: Chauncy Gardner Johnson, Patrick Robinson
FS: Marcus Williams, Saquon Hampton
SS: Malcolm Jenkins, DJ Swearinger, Chauncy Gardner Johnson

This is a pretty deep roster on defense. Still, there are a lot of unknowns on how things will play out. Interesting, non-the-less.
Problem here is injury concerns. Alonzo, Rankins, Davenport, Anzalone, Ellis, Hampton, and Hansen are all coming off injury or have injury concerns. All are highly talented, but "injury" prone. This can be a concern.

I think that Baun is not an every down starter right now at this point. What he will give you is a guy that is strong on the edge, especially as a rusher. Without an Off-season program, I don't look for him to be an immediate starter for us.

there is no way around the fact that every single NFL season is brittle in nature. The injury bug hits some teams every year and hits all teams in some years. In that way every championship involves a good deal of luck.

The injury to Drew last year turned out nothing short of magical. It doesn't turn out that well 99 times out of 100. But outside of QB, to me, it is most pronounced at the wide positions on both sides of the ball. We became a shell of ourselves when Latt went down last year. At either WR or CB if your top guy goes down and all of the sudden 2s are facing 1s and 3s are facing 2s, you are in trouble. More than one injury to either of those positions is enough to do most seasons in.

Chase Hansen is a going to be a backup WILL. He was a converted safety at Utah. Not sure who will be the backup MIKE as Elliss played there in preseason I believe. Kiko can play all 3 spots, so he could be the backup SAM, but more than likely will be the backup MIKE & SAM. Unless he becomes the starter at MIKE when he’s healthy.

there is no way around the fact that every single NFL season is brittle in nature. The injury bug hits some teams every year and hits all teams in some years. In that way every championship involves a good deal of luck.

The injury to Drew last year turned out nothing short of magical. It doesn't turn out that well 99 times out of 100. But outside of QB, to me, it is most pronounced at the wide positions on both sides of the ball. We became a shell of ourselves when Latt went down last year. At either WR or CB if your top guy goes down and all of the sudden 2s are facing 1s and 3s are facing 2s, you are in trouble. More than one injury to either of those positions is enough to do most seasons in.

This is true, but our defense particularly has the same guys get hurt year in and year out. Yes, losing Latt hurt, and I’m sure losing Cam Jordan and Demario Davis would be horrendous. But those guys barely get hurt.

Anzalone, Davenport, and Rankins seem like a given that they’ll miss multiple games. We’l be lucky to have all three come playoff time.

This is true, but our defense particularly has the same guys get hurt year in and year out. Yes, losing Latt hurt, and I’m sure losing Cam Jordan and Demario Davis would be horrendous. But those guys barely get hurt.

Anzalone, Davenport, and Rankins seem like a given that they’ll miss multiple games. We’l be lucky to have all three come playoff time.
True, unfortunately.

absolutely. Since we can't rebuild the roster completely at those positions we will have to count on numbers (of contributors) and some luck. But with a little luck with injuries, the front 7 will be special.

Release Warford and resign Apple. I feel more comfortable with OL depth than CB depth. Also, did we resign Justin Hardee? Hopefully he’s been in Latts hip pocket training this offseason as I believe he did decent in spot duty last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom