Defensive domination gets lost in the shuffle (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I saw a few posts about Dennis Allen, but I think the stats the defense put up yesterday deserve to be highlighted. Keep in mind, the Bengals were down early and HAD to try to throw the ball. The bottom line is, they couldn't.

284 total yards given up.
174 passing
110 rushing
14 points
0-6 on 3rd down
4 sacks
2 ints

The addition of Eli Apple has brought more to the table than expected. The safeties can now play like they did last year.

Was it total domination? No, but it was really really good.

D continues to improve, even without Davenport. Once he's back, we will get even better. This team is feeling it.

Yep, knowing they had to pass and we still forced multiple 3 and outs was fun to watch. Looks like the defense is playing of of instincts and having lots of fun doing so. That’s a recipe for disaster for opposing defenses! Let these guys play loose, look at the difference the past three games. It’s a much better unit with the addition of Apple.

Great numbers almost across the board. The runs by Mixon that were given up in the first quarter were a little alarming but it's hard to argue with the end result.

Great numbers almost across the board. The runs by Mixon that were given up in the first quarter were a little alarming but it's hard to argue with the end result.
I was very concerned too early but the D stepped up big time after that first drive.

I definitely think they are improving but numbers get skewed pretty quick in a game that lopsided. One of the most overrated defenses in history IMO was that Rams D during the greatest show on turf. As soon as the game becomes one dimensional the numbers don't tell an accurate story.

But I won't take anything away from them. We need that secondary to keep inching forward each week.

Saints run defense in the 2nd quarter and beyond in games have been amazing. With the secondary playing like it is, this team will not be easy to beat!

Let's pump the brakes a little on the Bengals having to pass because of being down multiple scores.

They did have to pass... but they also had Andy Dalton. 'Nuff said.

That said, the defense did a fine job yesterday. Not trying to say they didn't. But again... Andy Dalton.

Let's pump the brakes a little on the Bengals having to pass because of being down multiple scores.

They did have to pass... but they also had Andy Dalton. 'Nuff said.

That said, the defense did a fine job yesterday. Not trying to say they didn't. But again... Andy Dalton.

Did you think they'd hold Dalton to fewer than 200 yards passing? Of course you didn't. So go ahead and give the props.

Agree - except that I believe Mixon is an elite back. The cutback move Mixon made on his big gainer was insanely good. Then the Bungals did the rest. I couldn't believe they pulled Mixon when he was smoking hot and played Bernard most of the 2nd quarter. Seriously????

Meanwhile, notice how often you are seeing Anzalone in the middle of a good defensive play?

Agree - except that I believe Mixon is an elite back. The cutback move Mixon made on his big gainer was insanely good. Then the Bungals did the rest. I couldn't believe they pulled Mixon when he was smoking hot and played Bernard most of the 2nd quarter. Seriously????

They don't use Mixon to his full capabilities. They treat him like he's the 2nd best 3rd down and 2min back on the roster next to Bernard.

I was very concerned too early but the D stepped up big time after that first drive.

Me too. But the opening drive is usually scripted and practiced the week before to perfection. I'm talking the first 12 to 15 plays to open the game are rehearsed and can cause a defense to look "lost" on first drive.

And you are right, after the Bengals go thru those practiced plays and start in-game management of play calls, our defense wakes up, starts clicking & getting stops on third down. I am training myself to remain neutral during the first series or two of a game, those drives are almost for show. Late first quarter and onward is the "real" game in the game.

You're right about pulling Mixon (a bigger back) for Bernard (a smallish back), when they needed to try pounding a bit to draw the corners and/or safeties up toward the LOS. That does seem insane!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom