Defensive Draft in 07 (1 Viewer)

ThaMain1

Crash and Dash
Reaction score
Looking for where you believe we need to draft to fill holes in our D. If you can make a suggestion as to who you believe that pick to be. I am also running an Offensive poll and will take the results of the two seperatly and combine for the tops overall.
On the defensive side I believe our greatest weakness to be at CB and for that position I like Antoine Cason Arizona. Quick bio :http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/antoine_cason.html

Repaired and reposted here:http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3556

Last edited:

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
The biggest needs on the defense would be CB, MLB, and DT... in that order. But if Willis and the top 3 CBs are all gone by the time we pick, then I'd have to go with that huge DT from Michigan.

Scott B

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think that we have to wait and see what positions are addressed in free agency first.

HouDat

Banned
Reaction score
I think positions which need addressing in the off-season (draft & FA combined):

-CB: Thomas, while still capable of making plays, is old; McKenzie is not far away from being old (though he's still got speed), and we really have nobody else in queue who is qualified to take over the starting spot. I would much prefer to see someone like a Nate Clements signed in FA, as opposed to taking a CB high in the draft. Top area of concern, IMO.
-LB: Of our three LBs, Fujita is clearly the best playmaker. Shanle is solid, but not spectacular; Simoneau is adequate, but I'd really like to see a smash-mouth player manning this spot instead.
-DT: Not an immediate need, but Tank's getting up in age, so we want to have a young buck groomed and ready to step in. Brian Young is spotty (in terms of his playmaking), so bringing in some young talent to push him for the starting spot just makes sense.
-WR: Joe's getting up in age, starting to battle injuries more and more. Colston is obviously a lock for the next few years (barring injury), but I'm not sold on the idea that Devery (or Copper, Jones, etc.) is the future starter.
-Safety: Roman Harper's return will mean lots to this secondary, to be sure. But we need an additional playmaking safety. NE utilizes their group of safeties quite well, as they're athletic enough to play both in pass coverage and in run support.
-TE: I'm just not overly impressed with any of our TE's. They're decent, adequate guys, but none who have the capability of being a difference maker, either in receiving or in blocking.
-OL: Sure, our line has protected Brees well, but I'd like to see more smash-mouth play, especially at the RT position. I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade at the LG position, either. LT, C, and RG seem to be strong points for us.

This draft could get interesting, as there are some compensatory picks slated to come our way, no doubt. The loss of Bentley and Howard via free agency will likely bring us a couple of comps. Our draft position should wind up in the mid-20's (barring a Super Bowl win), so we'll likely have the chance to pick up a pretty decent player - perhaps a starter - in the 1st.

Reaction score
Look for this draft to be dominated by line selections, both offensive and defensive. Remember, Hollis Thomas is in the last year of his contract as is Charles Grant. I don't see Willy Whitehead sticking around next year, either. I think a TE will be drafted early, and perhaps a LB as well. I think the CBs will be taken care of in FA. CBs coming out of college are hardly disciplined (as a whole) and I think that would drive Payton nuts, trying to coach a guy like Pacman Jones.

IceHot

Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I would agree with corner, but mostly for depth reasons. We really should be 5 deep at that position, and I dont believe we are. You should have a strong #1, a good #2, a reliable nickle, and a solid dime, with a decent backup for injury.

I dont expect us to be great at every position, not a reality in the Free Agency/Salary Cap Era. But we should be solid and deep at least to the dime. Depth is much more important these days with all the scheming that goes on.

I just dont see that depth on our team right now.

truck man

not so ******
Reaction score
1) CB- FT is not capable and can't make plays, MM is doing a good job we just nned to find a playmaker to stick next to him

2) LB- we need MLB and this year seems to be deep with LB talent

3) TE- we desperately need a TE who can catch and stretch the field

4) DT- we have to get some DT depth and another run stuffer to give Thomas some blows

FWtex

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Depending on the how the rest of the season goes and wo they are able to resign. I think there will be some players willing to stick around to play here. The saints may need to restructure some contracts which will put them in CAP HELL later but I think they have the nucleus in place for a dominant team the next few years if they can keep it together.

I think priority will be speed on defense. Another speedy DE and a Speedy LB. outside of that Paytons philosophy is to go after competitive players who may have a little less natural abilities but a big heart for playing competitively.

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The biggest needs on the defense would be CB, MLB, and DT... in that order. But if Willis and the top 3 CBs are all gone by the time we pick, then I'd have to go with that huge DT from Michigan.
His name is branch...commentators all crack the joke he should be named tree with his size.

thundar1084

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
1. MLB - Simoneaux plays well in coverage, but is not physical against the run. Clark is a punishing tackler, but can't play in coverage. We need a MLB that can play both run and pass well.

2. CB - No playmakers. Only 4 interceptions.

3. TE - A player that can block and catch, if we can find one.

4. S - Stoutmire is horrible. We need more depth here as well.

Colin311

I want 5 of your years!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If you go onto the fans sites of the Dolphins, Texans, Jets etc. they all say the same thing and all without foundation, only hope
Barring a Saints collapse, who would you want to play for being that you played for a crappy team your entire career? Also, I would think we have more cap room then all 3 of those teams.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saints' snap counts: A look at wide receivers, offensive line, general defensive usage in loss to Packers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DA needs to come up w/ a new defensive strategy Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 16
Change Defensive calls Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
How the Saints defensive line rotations performed in week two Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Covington Saint Number of defensive snaps by a LB not named Demario or Anzalone thus far? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 14
Former Saints defensive lineman Derland Moore dead at 68 after battle with cancer Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus New Orleans Saints defensive success on third down must improve SR News Page Articles 0
Saints' snap counts: A look at the wide receivers, general defensive snaps against Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How the Saints defensive line rotations performed in week one Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bill N/S *Carolina at Tampa Bay* Brady is torching that Panthers defensive secondary. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 65
NBA virtual draft combine: Pair of projected lottery picks interview Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
It’s the Week Three Goats (in a Bad Way) draft Saints RSS News Feeds 0
NBA virtual draft combine: Tre Jones references Pelicans’ deep Duke connection Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
NBA virtual draft combine: LaMelo Ball downplays future matchups vs. brother Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Taker597 Official 2021 Quarterback Draft Class and In Season Scouting Thread Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 56