Defensive Draft in 07 (1 Viewer)

ThaMain1

Crash and Dash
Reaction score
Looking for where you believe we need to draft to fill holes in our D. If you can make a suggestion as to who you believe that pick to be. I am also running an Offensive poll and will take the results of the two seperatly and combine for the tops overall.
On the defensive side I believe our greatest weakness to be at CB and for that position I like Antoine Cason Arizona. Quick bio :http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/antoine_cason.html

Repaired and reposted here:http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3556

Last edited:
The biggest needs on the defense would be CB, MLB, and DT... in that order. But if Willis and the top 3 CBs are all gone by the time we pick, then I'd have to go with that huge DT from Michigan.

I think that we have to wait and see what positions are addressed in free agency first.

I really think we're going to get Nate Clements.

I think positions which need addressing in the off-season (draft & FA combined):

-CB: Thomas, while still capable of making plays, is old; McKenzie is not far away from being old (though he's still got speed), and we really have nobody else in queue who is qualified to take over the starting spot. I would much prefer to see someone like a Nate Clements signed in FA, as opposed to taking a CB high in the draft. Top area of concern, IMO.
-LB: Of our three LBs, Fujita is clearly the best playmaker. Shanle is solid, but not spectacular; Simoneau is adequate, but I'd really like to see a smash-mouth player manning this spot instead.
-DT: Not an immediate need, but Tank's getting up in age, so we want to have a young buck groomed and ready to step in. Brian Young is spotty (in terms of his playmaking), so bringing in some young talent to push him for the starting spot just makes sense.
-WR: Joe's getting up in age, starting to battle injuries more and more. Colston is obviously a lock for the next few years (barring injury), but I'm not sold on the idea that Devery (or Copper, Jones, etc.) is the future starter.
-Safety: Roman Harper's return will mean lots to this secondary, to be sure. But we need an additional playmaking safety. NE utilizes their group of safeties quite well, as they're athletic enough to play both in pass coverage and in run support.
-TE: I'm just not overly impressed with any of our TE's. They're decent, adequate guys, but none who have the capability of being a difference maker, either in receiving or in blocking.
-OL: Sure, our line has protected Brees well, but I'd like to see more smash-mouth play, especially at the RT position. I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade at the LG position, either. LT, C, and RG seem to be strong points for us.

This draft could get interesting, as there are some compensatory picks slated to come our way, no doubt. The loss of Bentley and Howard via free agency will likely bring us a couple of comps. Our draft position should wind up in the mid-20's (barring a Super Bowl win), so we'll likely have the chance to pick up a pretty decent player - perhaps a starter - in the 1st.

Look for this draft to be dominated by line selections, both offensive and defensive. Remember, Hollis Thomas is in the last year of his contract as is Charles Grant. I don't see Willy Whitehead sticking around next year, either. I think a TE will be drafted early, and perhaps a LB as well. I think the CBs will be taken care of in FA. CBs coming out of college are hardly disciplined (as a whole) and I think that would drive Payton nuts, trying to coach a guy like Pacman Jones.

I would agree with corner, but mostly for depth reasons. We really should be 5 deep at that position, and I dont believe we are. You should have a strong #1, a good #2, a reliable nickle, and a solid dime, with a decent backup for injury.

I dont expect us to be great at every position, not a reality in the Free Agency/Salary Cap Era. But we should be solid and deep at least to the dime. Depth is much more important these days with all the scheming that goes on.

I just dont see that depth on our team right now.

1) CB- FT is not capable and can't make plays, MM is doing a good job we just nned to find a playmaker to stick next to him

2) LB- we need MLB and this year seems to be deep with LB talent

3) TE- we desperately need a TE who can catch and stretch the field

4) DT- we have to get some DT depth and another run stuffer to give Thomas some blows

Depending on the how the rest of the season goes and wo they are able to resign. I think there will be some players willing to stick around to play here. The saints may need to restructure some contracts which will put them in CAP HELL later but I think they have the nucleus in place for a dominant team the next few years if they can keep it together.

I think priority will be speed on defense. Another speedy DE and a Speedy LB. outside of that Paytons philosophy is to go after competitive players who may have a little less natural abilities but a big heart for playing competitively.

The biggest needs on the defense would be CB, MLB, and DT... in that order. But if Willis and the top 3 CBs are all gone by the time we pick, then I'd have to go with that huge DT from Michigan.

His name is branch...commentators all crack the joke he should be named tree with his size.

1. MLB - Simoneaux plays well in coverage, but is not physical against the run. Clark is a punishing tackler, but can't play in coverage. We need a MLB that can play both run and pass well.

2. CB - No playmakers. Only 4 interceptions.

3. TE - A player that can block and catch, if we can find one.

4. S - Stoutmire is horrible. We need more depth here as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom