Defensive Free agency and draft moves (1 Viewer)

rex

Veteran
Reaction score
Our Defense needs and overhaul what do you all think of these moves:

Our ends are decent and highly paid so they will have to do.

Our Dts aren't signed to long term contract and aren't highly paid, therefore we can make a move or two there. We need to get that inside push that'll draw double teams freeing up our good/ave DE's

LB: We have no franchise LBs. Fujita will start. Shanle was signed to a 3 yr deal but it's not too much where he HAS to start. Therefore leaving 2 positions that can be upgraded thru the draft or free agancy.

CB: We have MM (jury is still out on his injury tho). Unfortunately we paid starter money to JDavid so he will definitely be here next yr and will probably start especially if MM doesn't comeback in time for the season opener. However, one spot is definitely open and can be filled thru the draft or free agency.

Safety: KK filled in nicely matched with Harper. However, KK is no spring chicken. This position can be upgraded but it isnt as high of a priority as the other D piece of work.
Bullocks is 2nd string. Its good we dont have a ton of money tied up in the piece of work. therefore we have some flexability.

Priority 1:
DT If we have a chance to draft Ellis @10 then we do it. In FA ,if possible, take a look at Shaun Rogers (maybe his poor team (Lions) had an effect on his lack of motivation.
Make a serious run at A Haynesworth.

Priority 2:
MLB or WLB Keith Rivers or Dan Conner (if we miss out on Ellis) or maybe trade up in the second or get lucky and draft Ali Highsmith with our #2. In free agency SIGN Dansby! somehow someway.

Priority 3:
Select Michael Jenkins if all else fails. (IMO he's the better Jenkins) or in FA sign ONE of the following: ASamuel, Drayton Florence or Trufant.

If we have anything left over, make a serious run at Justin Smith to rotate in @ DE.
If Gibbs cant get it done with this revamped D then he needs to hit the HWY!
agree?

Here is my wish list, actually it is a list of players I like and think the FO would target. I didn’t see a lot of Saints players I would miss if they left. These are all from Footballsfuture.com:
Wr: Bryant Johnson-Arizona
Drew Carter- Carolina
David Patten- Saints- I want him back! He just seems to do his job and not be flamboyant about it, a professional.
TE Ben Troupe- Tennessee
G: Floyd Womack-Seattle- O-line needs help
DT: Randy Starks-Tennessee
LB: Karlos Dansby-lb- Arizona-potentially a tagged player, judging by message boards he is either loved or hated.
CB: Drayton Florence-CB- San Diego- I haven’t gotten to see him play a lot, so I’m going by board popularity.

Good chance most of these guys will be UDFA's
Car yds avg long TDS
Jalen Parmele-sr-6’ 220
257 1429 5.6 54 14
Jalen Parmele-receiving stats
17 157 9.2 28(TD) 1
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=14043
WR/TE
Jabari Arthur=akron 6’4 225
72 987 13.7 51(TD) 10
He is has been drafted by Montreal in the CFL.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=15943
Chris Hopkins-Toledo 6’5” 255 4.82
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=19565
There hasn’t been an update since real early Oct.

OL
Joe Marafine-sr-ksu OL 6-4 305 Sr.

DB
John Mackey 5’10” 195 DB 5-10 213 Sr.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=16010
Greg Hay-SS- Toledo 6’2 212 4.65
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=14012
Jonal Saint-Dic-OLB-MSU
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=80431

Haynesworth will get tagged and I'm fairly certain that Dansby will too.

I like your thought process. One thing that I would like to mention that I haven't seen a lot of on this board. In FA, teams have a chance to do two BIG things....that I think we often overlook.

1. Get a FA that can make an impact to our current roster...this has to always be priority one and from the threads I've read, everyone seems to be in sync with.

2. Do what you can to take AWAY talent from our competition within our Conference and Division. I don't see a lot of this. We already know teams HATE to trade to a division rival and even within their own conference. This is one of the best ways to improve. If you can take a talented player from a division rival and increase your status by one point, you've essentially increase your status by two points....one point towards improving your team and one point by decreasing the value of your rival.

With that said, I don't know who is worth targeting within the NFC South or the NFC, but I'm hoping we are taking a good hard look at doing this. Do the Falclowns, Buca-queers or Kitty Cats have anyone worth taking a shot at?? If we can't land them, forcing them to match and strap them from a cap standpoint?? This is something that can definitely help us. I think we've seen this year, it's all about getting to the playoffs...no matter what seed you are (i.e. Giants). I'd love for us to go 16-0, but honestly....I don't care what our record is so long as the Falcons, Bucs and Panthers have one more loss than us.

Pretty good post, but I heard somewhere that Arizona already siad they planned on Franchising Dansby.

I'm just not a big fan of Drayton Florence. I think Jason david could be a pretty good Quarters CB or Dime at best. I say we put him on scout team in TC and let our Offensive starters beat him and then cut him

How about these free agents?

DE - Mike Rucker Carolina URF
DT - Jovan Haye Tampa Bay RFA
LB - Dermorrio Williams Atlanta UFA
LB - Michael Boley Atlanta RFA
LB - Na'il diggs Carolina UFA

You know this board has thrown out several names we should get in FA.. , but the truth is none of us know who is an up and comer talent wise. I am almost positive that none of those names end end up on the Saints roster, and we wil be grateful to get the guys we get. Just like david playing in a cover 2 scheme, horid the 1sr year but playing lights out once he is adjusted to a different defense! At least thats what my B&G colored glasses want me to see! I have also had several shots of Peron!! !!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom