Defensive Free Agent and Draft Strategy (1 Viewer)

BWS

Reaction score
How about this strategy:

1. One free agent CB - Asante Samuel, Nnamdi Asomugha, Marcus Trufant, Ty Law, or Drayton Florence -- in that order of preference.

2. One free agent MLB - Zach Thomas.

3. Trade 1st, 3rd, and 5th round picks in the draft in order to draft Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis.

4. Draft best avaialble CB and LB in rounds 2 and 4.

I like it, as long as:

Ellis is the pick over Dorsey.

Ellis would have to fall to the 7th pick to make the value of our 1st, 3rd, and 5th work.

One of the LB's drafted is a MLB who can learn from Thomas and replace him when his noggin gets scrambled.

And we mix in a free safety somewhere in the mix.

We have too many holes to give up 3 picks for one player, IMO. I like the offseason additions, if we get one from each category, as well as resign our own players, however.

Samuel is an option, but his price will be high.

Florence might be a better option. He's getting overlooked b/c of the top 3 CBs are getting all the attention. Florence lost his job to Cromartie, which should not take anything away from his value b/c 95% of the CBs in the league would lose their starting spot to Cromartie b/c he's a freak.

trufant and/or someone like randall gay look more likely to me for CB... i wouldn't trade up for a DT unless ellis/dorsey fall to the 8 spot, cause i know that if i want one i'd better jump cincy

i agree with signing thomas but drafting one (or two) MLB for grooming (such as bell from nevada in the 3rd, if he's there)... this assumes mitchell from last year's class hasn't shown the staff anything

Samuels is the 3rd best corner of your order..... PLUS Dallas, Indy, NE are all interested in Thomas....unless we overpay, we're not getting him.

Free Agency
Address the DT need -Corey William
Address the CB need- Trufant and Drayton Flourence
Address the LB need-Zach Thomas
Draft
#10 Kieth Rivers LB USC
Trade up in the the Late part of the first round and Dominique Rodgers-Cromart, CB, Tennessee State

This should give us a starting lineup of
Will Smith DE
Corey Williams DT
Bryan Young DT
Charles Grant DE
OLB Scott Fujuta
MLB Zach Thomas
OLB Kieth Rivers
CB- Marcus Trufant
CB-Drayton Flourence
Nick back-Usama Young , or Dominique Rogers Cromartie
FS- Move Mike Mckenzie from CB to Safety
SS- Roman Harper

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom