Defensive speed (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Quote from Robert Saleh, SF DC:
“We always had talent inside with DeForrest Buckner and [Arik] Armstead, but bringing in edge rushers like Bosa and Ford is the difference. Bosa completely changes the way teams protect against us. He’s unblockable 1-on-1. When Dee is on the field, he can take over with his speed.”
Look at Seattle’s Super Bowl defenses.. built on speed.
Saints best pass rusher is Cam Jordan who gets a lot of sacks but is not an elite turn the corner on the OT kinda guy. Is it too much to ask the Saints to put a premium on getting speed at DE and LB? They’ve gotten better lately but need to strive for even better.
Offseason Mantra since 2011: “It’s the pass rush, stupid!”

Definitely room for improvement in this area.

Demario is the only Linebacker the can truly run sideline to sideline and make plays, Kiko has decent speed but now having to recover from his 3rd ACL tear, how much of that can he retain? If he is picked up for next season.

Cam, and Davenport are the only D-line that can chase down a runner down the line, or down the field if they initially slip past them.

Saints Front 7 is filled mainly with big beefy, run clogging players and downhill thumper linebackers that are stiff in pass coverage, making plays laterally.

We definitely need more speed on defense, especially LB but a speedy DE would be nice too.

We definitely need more speed on defense, especially LB but a speedy DE would be nice too.
When was the last time the Saints had a true Speed rushing Defensive End with an explosive get off, that could fire off the snap and bend right around an Offensive Tackle right to the QB?

Was it Bobby McCray back in '09? Galette had some of those properties as well, too bad he was a headcase.

Quote from Robert Saleh, SF DC:
“We always had talent inside with DeForrest Buckner and [Arik] Armstead, but bringing in edge rushers like Bosa and Ford is the difference. Bosa completely changes the way teams protect against us. He’s unblockable 1-on-1. When Dee is on the field, he can take over with his speed.”
Look at Seattle’s Super Bowl defenses.. built on speed.
Saints best pass rusher is Cam Jordan who gets a lot of sacks but is not an elite turn the corner on the OT kinda guy. Is it too much to ask the Saints to put a premium on getting speed at DE and LB? They’ve gotten better lately but need to strive for even better.
Offseason Mantra since 2011: “It’s the pass rush, stupid!”
Been saying this. They're able to play a more aggressive press coverage. It'll help Marcus Williams diagnose plays better

There will probably be about 30 all-pro quality, speed rushers available when the Saints pick at 24 and they'll waste it on a fullback. :banghead:

I wish that, some day, the Saints would be aggressive and spend some draft capital to move up and get a defensive end prospect.

There will probably be about 30 all-pro quality, speed rushers available when the Saints pick at 24 and they'll waste it on a fullback. :banghead:

I wish that, some day, the Saints would be aggressive and spend some draft capital to move up and get a defensive end prospect.
I hope you’re kidding.

Keep in mind they were not a good team, so they were getting high picks regularly. Guys like Bosa, Von, and Khalil don't make it out the top 10. I belive we need a versatile LB with speed to add to our rush to help DD. If they can stay healthy we do have a top notch D line with 3 potential pro-bowlers (Seldon and Marcus have that type of potential but injuries keep holding them back)

I think that was the thinking with Davenport.
Rankins also had elite speed for an interior guy.
Injuries have just pumped the brakes for both of those guys, but it’s unfair to say we haven’t prioritized it.

many on this board will want us to make a play for LSU’s K’Lavon Chaisson, but I have serious reservations about his ability to play 4-3 DE and I don’t think he’s had enough development time to play pure LB.

Many on this board will want us to make a play for LSU’s K’Lavon Chaisson, but I have serious reservations about his ability to play 4-3 DE and I don’t think he’s had enough development time to play pure LB.

He's got the spend and the bend, but he's extremely small for an NFL DE. He'll find a job as a 3-4 rush LB.

The 49ers spent top dollar to get Dee Ford and fell into an elite draft position to nab Bosa. It’s not easy to replicate that. The Saints front 7 isn’t the team’s biggest issue, and at full health it was an elite unit. Losing Davenport, Rankins, & Anzalone was devastating. The defensive line is as deep as it’s been in a long time. I don’t disagree that a speed rusher would be helpful to spell/replace Davenport when he’s not running opposite Cam. I think a non-cap busting free agent would be a good idea. Isn’t Vic Beasley going to be a FA?

Last edited:
They did that with Davenport 4.5 Speed his 40 was faster than Mike is I believe. They also have Analonze with 4.4 Speed, we can’t blame Loomis and Payton they try

I like our D-line. I think Rankins will have a bounce back year and he makes play all over the field for a DT. Imagine if he was pass rushing like 2018. Davenport just needs a healthy year. I think he'll get there. He's a very good starter at the very least. He can really stretch the sidelines. Jordan has good range for his size and is just excellent overall.

Linebacker is a problem though. I like them on paper but health is a major concern. Davis isn't the rangiest guy but he can get around and is just so damn good in all aspects. The real problem for me is Anzalone. That is the type of guy we need but his injury history is way too long. Alonso was good but he's more like Davis and very questionable next year. I'm okay with Klien but he's the other direction from Anzalone.

So basically I'm completely happy if they get another linebacker like Anzalone. Who knows maybe Kaden Elliss is that guy. He was highly respected by the staff last year before he was injured.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom