Defensive Tackle (1 Viewer)

Algiers, Fournette, and Chubba Hubbard are bigger backs. Bowling balls, it's best to hit them at or behind the LOS. Having a bigger body that can keep your LB's clean will pay dividends. Onyemata can be upgraded and preferably the Saints solve the issue before the draft.

Davlin Tomlinson has a high run grade.

Rebuilding the D line is a must; if we can’t get a QB may as well start there. Lots of DL in the draft, don’t think we need to chase free agents.

Ika would be a great NT. At LSU he didn’t offer much as a pass rusher, I never watched any Baylor games to see how he played there. But he would be a solid run stuffer.

Mazi Smith I feel offers a little more as a pass rusher and is still solid against the run.

Either would be a good pick.

I do feel like we should bring Omenyata back, I don't think he will command a lot of money especially since he had a down year. I also liked Street as a rotational guy. Tuttle and Roach seemed below average and Huggins was on IR. Not sure if either of those 3 are worth bringing back. They cut the DT we drafted from Air Force that was on the PS so he must have been really bad. We don't have a single DT under contract right now so they can start over with a whole new DT cast as there are a lot of FA DT this year, or we can bring back Omenyata and Street and some other FA's and draft picks.

Last edited:
There is usually a good bit of value in terms of run stuffing DTs at the top of round 2 so we could be in a good spot to grab a guy who can contribute immediately. God knows we need it. What's the deal with our DTs anyway? They went from a strength to barely noticeable.

I remember in the offseason thinking we could use another DT but people kept saying that the Saints love the guys they have on the roster. I was like, why? It's so frustrating with the Saints sometimes because they'll have an obvious need at a position but they'll just act like they don't. Just ignore it and hope for the best. They did that for years at Corner, WR, and LB. Last year it was RB and DT. Hopefully they admit that help is needed up front and act accordingly.

I really
Algiers, Fournette, and Chubba Hubbard are bigger backs. Bowling balls, it's best to hit them at or behind the LOS. Having a bigger body that can keep your LB's clean will pay dividends. Onyemata can be upgraded and preferably the Saints solve the issue before the draft.

Davlin Tomlinson has a high run grade.
like him as a FA prospect, but the only thing I'm worried about is he's going to be 30 in the 2024 season. I don't want the Saints to sign someone on just a one year rental. I wish he were a couple of years younger. Maybe in a rotation with younger DT's he wouldn't wear down too much during games and extend his career for a few more years.

I really

like him as a FA prospect, but the only thing I'm worried about is he's going to be 30 in the 2024 season. I don't want the Saints to sign someone on just a one year rental. I wish he were a couple of years younger. Maybe in a rotation with younger DT's he wouldn't wear down too much during games and extend his career for a few more years.

DT's and interior players usually play well even at advanced age. While it would hurt his pass rush potential, to clog up a lane doesn't require youthful athleticism.

And you may say, well I'd prefer a younger, cheaper body. I'd counter that w/, very few young DT's come in and make a significant impact year 1. It's like the TE position, takes a year at least.

If this is a reload year (which I think it is) adding more veterans with say playoff experience would pay more dividends than drafting young players you're going to bring along slowly anyhow.

We could go after the DT from Redskins who's younger and more of a rush threat but he's going to cost a pretty penny

I really

We also rotate DL very often and with certain packages. Depending on who else we bring in or draft he will probably get enough rest.

DT's and interior players usually play well even at advanced age. While it would hurt his pass rush potential, to clog up a lane doesn't require youthful athleticism.

And you may say, well I'd prefer a younger, cheaper body. I'd counter that w/, very few young DT's come in and make a significant impact year 1. It's like the TE position, takes a year at least.

If this is a reload year (which I think it is) adding more veterans with say playoff experience would pay more dividends than drafting young players you're going to bring along slowly anyhow.

We could go after the DT from Redskins who's younger and more of a rush threat but he's going to cost a pretty penny
Very good points. I'm not against going after him in FA, I was just hoping they would have some a little younger. But that's cool. There is also Malcolm Brown that is still a FA, him and Davlin are the same age, plus Brown already knows the system. I don't know why he was never picked up last season. He had a pretty good year in 21 Total Tackles-57 Solo-30 Assists-27 Sacks-2 Pass Def.-1. Those aren't horrible stats.

Hopefully DT- Albert Huggins 6'3"/305# can come back healthy this season and compete for a spot in the DT rotation. we definitely need some competition and upgrades at DT and NT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom