Defensive woes continue? (1 Viewer)

I'm with OP here. Very happy with the win but to see our defense hemorrhage yardage to an already beat up SF team is mood-dampening at the very least.

The Saints had the 19th-ranked defense in the NFL before today and probably dropped in that ranking giving up all the yards they gave up today. However, the turnovers were huge.

So, it's mixed reviews. The defense definitely played a part in winning the game today by getting the turnovers and coming up with quite a few stops. Anyone who expects this team to win by defense has not been keeping up with current events ... like the last 5 years.

We always said that if the Saints would just field a middle of the road defense (11th-20th), then this team should go deep into the playoffs. Well, that theory is now being put to the test this year. The Saints have a middle of the road defense and probably the top offense in the NFL again.

If this team doesn't go deep into the playoffs, then that theory about "just give this offense an average defense" will have been proven wrong. I hope it's right because I don't see this defense becoming a top ten defense this year. So, the only way we'll go deep into the playoffs is if this defense stays average and this offense can carry the team.

The only time they had success were when they blitzed, which was in the 2nd half. Carpenter started throwing ducks.

We game up 2 TD's all day. We mostly kept them out of the end zone, which is what's important, especially when our offense is doing its thing.

That "already beat up" team was coming off of a BYE week. They had time to heal up a little and prepare well for us. This was the f I rest time this season that a team coming off of a BYE has lost their first game back.

You are following the wrong people on Twitter.

People need to get over thinking Kaep is crap. Sure his kneeling for the Anthem has people upset, and sure his play since Harbaugh left has been spotty, but when he was with a legit qb coach (like Harbaugh) he was legit, and he pushed Alex Smith out of a job. He can still perform at a high level, and has double interest in performing well as he is auditioning for the 49ers and every other team looking for a qb this offseason.

The defense gave up a lot of yards, but they did well in the stat that matters, 23.

Ding Ding Ding.

2 plays 2 tds, 112 yards.

I don't agree. Kaep got replaced in the starting lineup by another QB. So, he doesn't get the "I don't have a good QB coach" excuse but Kaep does?? Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, Kaep is NOT a good QB. The 49ers tried to trade him for the last year and there are no takers. They started him today because they have run out of options. They are not good. The Saints defense is average at best. Kaep moved the ball for way too many yards today, but the Saints took the ball away from them 4 times to make up for frequent lapses in good defense.

All that being said, on the two big TD plays, the 49ers should have been called for holding on the outside at the point of attack. On each play down the right sideline, the DB trying to hold the sideline got blatantly hogtied by the receiver and NO CALL. The refs were clearly trying to keep SF in the game.

I do t give a rats *** where we rank yardage wise, let's focus on points we give up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't agree. Kaep got replaced in the starting lineup by another QB. So, he doesn't get the "I don't have a good QB coach" excuse but Kaep does?? Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, Kaep is NOT a good QB. The 49ers tried to trade him for the last year and there are no takers. They started him today because they have run out of options. They are not good. The Saints defense is average at best. Kaep moved the ball for way too many yards today, but the Saints took the ball away from them 4 times to make up for frequent lapses in good defense.

All that being said, on the two big TD plays, the 49ers should have been called for holding on the outside at the point of attack. On each play down the right sideline, the DB trying to hold the sideline got blatantly hogtied by the receiver and NO CALL. The refs were clearly trying to keep SF in the game.

A team trying to move on from a player doesn't make it a smart move (See Chargers- Drew Brees, Giants- Shockey, Jets- Jonathan Vilma, Seahawks- Ungar, Ravens- Priest Holmes, Colts- Marshall Faulk, etc., etc., etc.). Kaep is going to go to a team with a coach who can work with him (John Harbaugh isn't the only coach who can work with qbs, but Chip and Tomsula sure as hell can't), and he will be back to being a top 15 or even top 10 qb. Him lighting up a green defense today isn't shocking.

It's called "bend, but dont break." YES, we couldve/shouldve played better on D. But I think a ton of the lapses came because we were overly concerned about Kaep burning us with his legs. Those long plays came because we brought extra guys to pressure Kaep, and to his cred, he extended plays and hit his dudes. That being said, they only hit pay dirt on those two big gains. The rest of time we forced turnovers, punts and FGs. It doesnt matter how they scored, it's how many they score, and the D held up today. In my opinion, if the D can hold teams to 23 and under, our O will win us a bunch of games. Just like today. Just like last week.

I do t give a rats *** where we rank yardage wise, let's focus on points we give up

I have to disagree. If a Qb throws a pick six,or ST's give up a punt or kickoff return for a Td,the score is credited against the defense. Total yards
given up is the best way to rank a defense.

I have to disagree. If a Qb throws a pick six,or ST's give up a punt or kickoff return for a Td,the score is credited against the defense. Total yards

I have never seen yardage on a score board. Total yards means nothing.

The Saints had the 19th-ranked defense in the NFL before today and probably dropped in that ranking giving up all the yards they gave up today. However, the turnovers were huge.

I don't think that's accurate - I made the same mistaker earlier in the week. You can't look at ranking on raw yardage because our early bye means we have a game less than a handful of teams. You have to look at per-game stats.

Absolute craziest thing I've ever read. No defensive coach in the entire universe would even partially agree with this.

Absolute craziest thing I've ever read. No defensive coach in the entire universe would even partially agree with this.

Granted the most important stat is scoring more points than the opposition. That said, is the pick six thrown by Brees vs Atlanta or Mark Ingrams
fumble return for a Td versus Seattle the fault of our defense? The NFL ranks defenses on total yards allowed and for good reason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom