Defensive woes continue? (1 Viewer)

sportsaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Forgive me, but I couldn't watch the game because Shreveport. But I followed on Twitter and I thought the game I was following was going to be a shoot out. Why can't the defense stop a team as bad as the 49ers? What do some of the knowledgeable ones here think about this? 23 points is actually pretty good considering but reading some of the New Orlean journalist on Twitter they were suggesting the 49ers were running the ball up and down the field only to shoot themselves in the foot.

Kap has 398 yds passing. We gave up a screen TD of 40 some yards and a 65 yd TD to a TE. If not for 4 turnovers the game is likely much closer. I don't know how you can give up that many yards to a guy that was on the bench and people questioned if he's still a starter in this league. Again it is the TE and RB's that give us fits.

The Saints forced a lot of the SF mistakes, and yes our D did have some major brain farts. However, the Saints stuffed them and shut them down in the 2H holding them to three points. All while forcing 4 turnovers. We aren't going to go from historically bad on D to 2000 Ravens good overnight. We are seeing steady progression every game. We have held the last three opponents to around 21ppg. Let's keep improving.

Kap has 398 yds passing. We gave up a screen TD of 40 some yards and a 65 yd TD to a TE. If not for 4 turnovers the game is likely much closer.

Defense's job is to hold the opponent to minimal scoring and force punts. Turnovers are a plus, however; they were forced so there's no way to say "well if they didn't turn it over" they didn't turn it over, the Saints took the ball away. Steady improvement, be happy! We haven't seen that on that side of the ball in years.

total mixed bag of results

kap with a qb rating just north of 100 with almost 400 yards passing

but we made several key 3rd down stops, forced three fgs, and caused 4 turnovers, and very nice 2nd half adjustments

on a scale of 1 to 10, it was either a 5 or 6 (I would lean towards a 6)

Saints D had a bad quarter. That sums it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D wasn't great, but fix 2 bad plays and it's a pretty good D performance.

It's never a good thing when you Defense is giving up an avg. of 30 points per game. If we don't get that down by at least half then this ride won't last very long. You rarely get into the post season giving up that many points.

It's never a good thing when you Defense is giving up an avg. of 30 points per game. If we don't get that down by at least half then this ride won't last very long. You rarely get into the post season giving up that many points.

yep, and just like we worked our way out of holes in 2007, 2012, 2014 and 2015, our subpar defense would not allow us to make a push for the playoffs in any one of those seasons

could easily be a repeat of that same scenario

Saints D is giving up a little over 23 points per game over the last 4, sounds like a major improvement

Seems our biggest problems are in when we are in zone coverage and the offense uses crossing routes. Our LBs do a poor job with communicating who covers whom.

We were essentially playing prevent defense with a two-score lead. Way too much zone. When we finally made CK make actual QB throws by pressing underneath coverage, he struggled. Kudos to DA for making adjustments, but it is concerning that it took nearly three quarters to address what was completely obvious after just a few drives.

Forgive me, but I couldn't watch the game because Shreveport. But I followed on Twitter and I thought the game I was following was going to be a shoot out. Why can't the defense stop a team as bad as the 49ers? What do some of the knowledgeable ones here think about this? 23 points is actually pretty good considering but reading some of the New Orlean journalist on Twitter they were suggesting the 49ers were running the ball up and down the field only to shoot themselves in the foot.

You are following the wrong people on Twitter.

People need to get over thinking Kaep is crap. Sure his kneeling for the Anthem has people upset, and sure his play since Harbaugh left has been spotty, but when he was with a legit qb coach (like Harbaugh) he was legit, and he pushed Alex Smith out of a job. He can still perform at a high level, and has double interest in performing well as he is auditioning for the 49ers and every other team looking for a qb this offseason.

The defense gave up a lot of yards, but they did well in the stat that matters, 23.

D wasn't great, but fix 2 bad plays and it's a pretty good D performance.
Ding Ding Ding.

2 plays 2 tds, 112 yards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom