Deferring to the second half (1 Viewer)

Sean

All-Pro
Reaction score
If I remember right last week against the Packers was the first time we've got the ball to start the second half so far this year, in these four games it seems as if our defense gets worse as the game goes on, wouldn't it make more sense for us, if we won the coin toss, to take the ball in the second half? I know under the Payton Era we've always taken the ball first but this year I think it would be much wiser to kick first if given the opprotunity. We still lost last week but I think taking the ball in the second half helped tremendously...Thoughts?

I ALWAYS want to get the ball first in the second half. For one thing, no MATTER how the first half ends, you get the ball so you either have a chance to stop the momentum of the opposing team or build on your own.

For instance, our D can't stop a runny nose but we are in a dogfight and at the end of the first half, our opponents score a TD to go up by seven but the half ends and then we kick it off to them and they score again. Now instead of it being a 1 score game, it's a two score game. And of course we don't run, we PASS PASS PASS and as a result end up letting the game get out of reach.

But at least if we get the ball to start the second half, we have a shot to do something. I am always frustrated when we get the ball first, especially if we don't score a TD on our first drive.

Last year we lost the coin toss the first 8 games or so and I loved it because we would always get the ball first in the second half.

I ALWAYS want to get the ball first in the second half. For one thing, no MATTER how the first half ends, you get the ball so you either have a chance to stop the momentum of the opposing team or build on your own.

For instance, our D can't stop a runny nose but we are in a dogfight and at the end of the first half, our opponents score a TD to go up by seven but the half ends and then we kick it off to them and they score again. Now instead of it being a 1 score game, it's a two score game. And of course we don't run, we PASS PASS PASS and as a result end up letting the game get out of reach.

But at least if we get the ball to start the second half, we have a shot to do something. I am always frustrated when we get the ball first, especially if we don't score a TD on our first drive.

I agree 100%, just doesn't make sense to me to want to have the ball first..Real life or Madden

That would give the D some extra rest if drew takes his time coming out of half time I like the theory!

FYI deferring doesn't mean you have to kick first

if you defer, all you are saying is that you would rather use that choice to receive or kick in the 2nd half

You could essentially kick or receive both at the beginning of the game and halftime depending on what the other team decides to do

My take, get the ball march down the field and get Drew his well earned record. Then we can take care of business for the other 58 minutes or so and honor our leaders in exile who will be in the house. There will be a frenzy in the Dome that should be a motivator for the entire team tonight.

I always liked taking the ball at half because by then you've had time to make adjustments

It's always easier to play once you've figured out what the other team is going to do against u

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom