Opinion Delay of Game and Calling a Timeout (Throw the Flag or Change the Rule) (1 Viewer)

RiverRat

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
It happens every week. In every game. An offense is late getting to the line. There is some confusion with the offensive line and the quarterback. Sometimes some visible frustration. The clock hits 00, sometimes a flag comes out, the whistles start to scream. This is a penalty, but it is rarely called as such

Every single time we get the explanation “before the delay of game…….” But how often is a timeout actually called?

If they want to handle it like runoff penalties, I guess that’s fine, but change the rule officially. A lost timeout is nothing small, but when it’s 4th and inches I want the 5 yards. If you don’t get the timeout in time, you can’t just get it gifted. That’s a difference between a punt or a likely drive extension.

It happens every week. In every game. An offense is late getting to the line. There is some confusion with the offensive line and the quarterback. Sometimes some visible frustration. The clock hits 00, sometimes a flag comes out, the whistles start to scream. This is a penalty, but it is rarely called as such

Every single time we get the explanation “before the delay of game…….” But how often is a timeout actually called?

If they want to handle it like runoff penalties, I guess that’s fine, but change the rule officially. A lost timeout is nothing small, but when it’s 4th and inches I want the 5 yards. If you don’t get the timeout in time, you can’t just get it gifted. That’s a difference between a punt or a likely drive extension.

I always guess the timeout was actually called, but since it was a coach calling it, we do not see on camera.

I always guess the timeout was actually called, but since it was a coach calling it, we do not see on camera.
I think this is often the case, but there is no way it is every time.

I think if a team has available timeouts it has become an unspoken rule to look to the coach before throwing the flag.

I think this is often the case, but there is no way it is every time.

I think if a team has available timeouts it has become an unspoken rule to look to the coach before throwing the flag.
Well then it's on the coaches for wanting the timeout. I don't see the issue here.

Well then it's on the coaches for wanting the timeout. I don't see the issue here.
The issue is according to the rule you have to call a timeout before time expires. What seems to actually happen is that time expires and then the officials check with the coaches to see if they’d like to use a timeout instead of take the penalty. The difference is 4th & inches with 2 timeouts vs 4th & 5 with 3.

The play clock needs to have integrity is all I’m saying. If the trading of a timeout for 5 yards is going to be the norm, the rule should be changed. Just like when they started doing to runoff penalties.

The BJ is the official responsible for calling delay of game. From what I've heard explained is that the proper mechanic for the BJ is that once he sees 00 on the snap clock, then he looks at the line to see if the ball is snapped. If the ball has not been snapped, only then do you call delay of game. That explains the slight hesitation between the snap clock hitting 00 and the potential flag.

For the time outs, I've heard that officials say they will always give deference to a coach calling TO if his call comes at the same time as the whistle. But if the whistle/flag is ahead of the TO call, then you are supposed to call the penalty.

As bad as the refs are, i don't think they are just giving teams time outs from the goodness of their hearts. Aren't their 7 officials (maybe 8?) on the field, all it takes is one seeing a player/head coach calling time out?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom