Deleting files

Buickman

Super Forum Fanatic
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
When I delete files from an xfs partition the free space doesn't change, even after emptying the trash. In other words, I have 10gig free on the drive and if I delete (rather than move to trash) a directory that had 10 gig, it still shows 10 gig free rather than 20 gig. Is there some way I can force it to show the actual free space? I'm using Nautulis as my file manager if that makes a difference.

Thanks

OP
OP
Buickman

Buickman

Super Forum Fanatic
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
Ok, after running those commands, and deleting some files this thing just made a complete liar out of me because it's now doing like it should, even in Nautilus. The only thing I can think of is that I just totally reconfigured this system last Sunday. I was running Feisty on an Asus motherboard because Gutsy kept locking up, and I had my raid array set up with 4 320gig hds in a raid 10. Last week a guy at work told me that the nvidia 650 chipset might be what was giving me problems so I stuck an msi moboard with intel chipset in that case and installed Gutsy, and so far no lockups. But I also reconfigured the raid so that I had 2 320s in raid 0 and 2 in raid 1 (I wanted to have / on a raid 0 rather than an 80g pata to see how much faster the system would be. Haven't noticed much difference). It was when I was moving data off the raid 10 that I noticed the problem. But just like that engine knock when you take a car to the shop, this problem seems to have gone away. I guess that nvidia chipset was giving me problems.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
staphory Everything Else Board 11